- n. 化合物；复合词；复合物
- n. 院子(用围墙圈起来的场地）
- adj. 化合的；【语】（词语等）复合的；【植】复合的；【动】群体的
- vt. 混合；调合；使严重；私了；【经】以复利计算
- vi. 妥协
- 【化】化合物 ，混合物，复合物，合成品
- [C]复合物,化合物; 复合词 thing made up of two or more separate things combined together; substance consisting or two or more elements chemically combined
- [C](筑有围墙的)院子,(围起来的)场地 an area enclosed by a wall, fence, etc.containing a group of buildings
- vt. 使混合,使合成 make (a substance or quality) by combining parts
- vt. 使严重; 使恶化 make worse by adding to or increasing
a whole formed by a union of two or more elements or parts
(chemistry) a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
an enclosure of residences and other building (especially in the Orient)
composed of more than one part;
"compound leaves are composed of several lobes; "
consisting of two or more substances or ingredients or elements or parts;
"soap is a compound substance"
"housetop is a compound word"
"a blackberry is a compound fruit"
composed of many distinct individuals united to form a whole or colony;
"coral is a colonial organism"
make more intense, stronger, or more marked;
"The efforts were intensified"
"Her rudeness intensified his dislike for her"
"Pot smokers claim it heightens their awareness"
"This event only deepened my convictions"
put or add together;
calculate principal and interest
create by mixing or combining
combine so as to form a whole; mix;
"compound the ingredients"
- Water is a compound of hydrogen and oxygen.
- 'Bus conductor', 'dark-haired' and 'policeman' are compounds.
- Medicines are usually compounds.
- All prisoners were frog-marched (out) into the compound.
- "Fingerprint" is a compound word.
- Rose is a plant with compound leaves.
- He compounded various ingredients into an effective drug.
- I ran out of petrol and then, to compound the felony, I found that I'd got a flat tyre.
- to compound a felony
- My bank compounds interests semiannually.
- He compounded with his creditors for a remission of what he owed.
- He compounded with the house owner for the rent.
- When two or more elements combine and form a compound, a chemical change takes place.
- Many words are compounds, such as blackboard, inkpot, and the like.
- The compound was subdivided into four living areas.
- They blocked the compound gate.No one of the bandits got away.
- He compounded water, sand and soil and formed bricks.
- The heavy rain compounded the trouble of the lost hikers.
- Our difficulties were compounded by the language barrier.
- The medicine was compounded from several drugs.
- Our difficulties were compounded by other people's mistakes.
This attempt to isolate the elusive element of the pure aesthetic reaction from the compounds in which it occurs.出自： R. Fry
A group of compounds known as paraffin hydrocarbons.出自： N. G. Clark
Only compound me with forgotten dust.出自：2 Henry IV , Shakespeare
A vague..pain in which portions of jealousy and wounded pride were compounded with a profound sense of homelessness.出自： I. Murdoch
- compound, amalgam, blend, composite, mixture
- 这组词的共同意思是“混合物”。mixture指两种以上东西的混合物,既可指具体的,也可指抽象的东西; amalgam通常指质软的东西的混合物,在比喻用法中指易塑的或未成型的东西; blend着重指液体、气体的混合; composite着重指人为的或偶然的混合; compound主要指化学上的“合成,化合物”,也指任何有内在联系的东西。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的par，意为安排，引导；最初源自古典拉丁语的componere，意为放在一起。