- n. 内容； 目录； 含量
- adj. 满足的； 满意的
- vt. 使 ... 满足； 使 ... 安心
- [P]所容纳之物,所含之物 that which is contained in sth
- [P](书等的)内容,目录 that which is written or spoken about in a book, an article, a programme, a speech, etc.
- [U]容量,含量 amount of sth contained in sth else
- vt. 使满足,使满意 accept sth, even though one would have liked more or better
- [U]满足,满意 state of being content
- [P]知足的,满足的,满意的,愉快的 satisfied with what one has; not wanting more; happy
- everything that is included in a collection and that is held or included in something;
"he emptied the contents of his pockets"
"the two groups were similar in content"
- what a communication that is about something is about
- the proportion of a substance that is contained in a mixture or alloy etc.
- the amount that can be contained;
"the gas tank has a capacity of 12 gallons"
- the sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned
- the state of being contented with your situation in life;
"he relaxed in sleepy contentedness"
"they could read to their heart's content"
- something (a person or object or scene) selected by an artist or photographer for graphic representation;
"a moving picture of a train is more dramatic than a still picture of the same subject"
- satisfied or showing satisfaction with things as they are;
"a contented smile"
- satisfy in a limited way;
"He contented himself with one glass of beer per day"
- make content;
"I am contented"
- Teaching content should be concise.
- The book is rich in content and succinct in style.
- Define content sections of status reports.
- Tests of the manure showed a high ammonia content.
- The calorie content in this ice cream is very high.
- We're also in the content business.
- I am very content with my life at present.
- Disport oneself to one's heart's content.
- Feel quite content with my present situation.
The drawer had been emptied of its contents.
She uncorked the bottle and poured out the contents.
A bag with its precious contents was missing.
He swallowed half the contents of his glass in one gulp.
Look at the contents before you buy the book.
She hadn't read the letter and so was unaware of its contents.
He knew by heart the contents of the note.
The Prime Minister declined to go into details on the contents of his talks with the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
There is a table of contents in front of a dictionary.
The content of your essay is excellent, but it's not very well expressed.
I like the style of his writing but I don't like the content.
We artists should combine healthy political content with finished artistic forms.
I didn't understand the content of his speech.
A life without success has no content.
Her life only had content when she was with him.
Oranges have a high vitamin content.
Meat is a food with a high fat content.
High day temperatures increase the sugar content of the grapes.
The content of the gas tank of this car is 17 gallons.
Will it content you if I let you have candy tomorrow?
Nothing will ever content the boy.
A contented person is happy with what he has.
The cat lay stretched out beside the fire in sleepy content.
She began to live in peace and content.
He is quite content.
Now that she has apologized,I am content.
She is quite content to live at home with her parents.
Would you be content to wait till tomorrow?
That famous actor seemed content to play a minor part in the play.
He's perfectly content to live in a hut and paint pictures all day.
He was content to die here in the midst of his lands, in this old houses of his fathers.
A few were content to pay the fines.
She seems content to sit in front of the television all night.
He was content to stand by as an impassive spectator.
They were content that they had won the game.
- content with (v.+prep.)
使(某人)满足于… make sb satisfied with sth content oneself with sth/v-ing
There is no fresh meat in the market today, so you'll have to content yourselves with something out of a tin.今天肉品市场上没有鲜肉了,你们只好吃罐头了。
John contented himself with two glasses of beer even though he could have had more.即使约翰本来能够多喝几杯,但他喝了两杯也就感到满意了。
We cannot go abroad this year, so we'll have to content ourselves with a holiday in London.今年我们不能出国,所以只好在伦敦度假了。
You will have to content yourself with what you have.你应该满足于你所拥有的一切。
As the TV is broken, you'll have to content yourself with listening to the radio.电视机坏了,你只好满足于听收音机了。
She didn't take part in the discussion, but contented herself with smoking cigarettes.她没有参加讨论,她只是吸烟就感到满足了。用于 be ～ed 结构
We must not be contented with such a small success.我们不应该满足于这样的小成就。
- 使(某人)满足于… make sb satisfied with sth content oneself with sth/v-ing
- to one's heart's content
尽情地 happily, freely and enthusiastically
The children enjoyed themselves to their heart's content. 孩子们尽情地玩。
The children were allowed to watch television to their heart's content. 孩子们被准许尽情地看电视。
Sing to your heart's content! 尽情地歌唱吧!
- 尽情地 happily, freely and enthusiastically
- content with
满足于 satisfied with sth
I am very much content with my life at present. 我对目前的生活心满意足。
They seemed to be content with her treatment. 他们对于她的款待尚感满意。
We are not content with the victory already won. 我们不满足于已经取得的胜利。
She is not content with these explanations. 她对这些解释不满意。
I am not content with beautiful dreams; I want beautiful realities. 我不满足于美好的理想,我要的是美好的现实。
Not content with having overthrown the government, the military dictator imprisoned all his opponents. 这个军事独裁者推翻了政府还不满足,又把反对他的人都关进了监狱。
Are you content with your present salary? 你对你现在的薪水感到满意吗?
- 满足于 satisfied with sth
- content of… 的容量,…的内容
- content of a book 一本书的内容
- content of a dictionary 词典的目录
- content of a note 条子的内容
- content of a gas tank 车油箱容量
- content with 使(某人)心满意足
- content to live at home 满足于呆在家里
- content to pay the fines 愿意付费
- content to play a minor part 满足于演一个小角色
- content to stand by 宁愿站在一旁
- content to wait 满足于等待
- content with 满足于…
A letter ought not to be estimated by the length of it, but by the contents.出自：W. Cowper
She dumped the contents of her handbag onto the counter.出自：J. Cheever
In Concord and Content The Commons live, by no Divisions rent.出自：Dryden
A look of deep content shone in her eyes.出自：K. Mansfield
Abdul Kadar was content to play a waiting game.出自：L. Uris
As a small child, I was content enough with the life around me.出自：Day Lewis
I am content But I'm not happy.出自：R. Harries
I will content you if what pleases you contents you.出自：As You Like It,Shakespeare
No ordinary view will content the Miss Alans.出自：E. M. Forster
The essay is excellent both in form and in content.
- contents noted (来信的内容已经被注意了)和contents duly noted是商业信函里的陈套语，避免在一般通信中出现；
- contents表示“目录”时，跟table of content有一样的意思；
content作形容词时和contented都指“知足的”，要注意：content是表语形容词，不用在定语用法里。如绝不可说He is a content man ，该说He is a contented man。content在表语用法中强调“无所它求”的意思，而contented强调“被使满足”的意思，是动词content的过去分词。content后接不定式时，指“因为别无它法而愿意……”，而contented不常用于这种结构。 I must content myself with answering only part of your questions 里的with不可改作by；
I should be content to remain where I am.
- to one's heart's content为固定词组，意思是“尽情地做某事”。
- content的基本意思有三:第一,可表示“所容纳之物,所含之物”,指某一物体中所含的具体东西; 第二,表示一本书或文章中所包含的“内容”,可以是具体的内容,也可以是抽象的内容; 第三,表示某一容器的“容量”或某一物质在另一物质中的“含量”。
- content表示“内容”时用单数和复数的意思不同,用复数表示具体的内容,而用单数则表示与形式相对应比较抽象的“要旨,内含”; 在表示“含量,容量”时只能用单数; 表示“所容纳之物,所含之物”时多用复数。
- content常用于content oneself with结构,表示“满足于…”。
- content是不可数名词,常用于to one's heart's content短语,表示“尽情地”。
- content, contented, satisfied
这三个词的共同意思是“满足的,满意的”。其区别是：1.content表示“甘心的,甘愿的”。例如:Many men are content with a routine life.很多人满足这种有规律的生活。contented指安于现状已无他求,有“知足”的意味。例如:Tom was a lazy boy. He just passed the exam and was contented with the marks he got.汤姆是个懒家伙,他只满足于考试的分数刚好通过。satisfied表示某事完全满足了个人的心愿、欲望、需要或要求,有积极愉快的意味在内。例如:The teacher was quite satisfied with his answer.老师对他的回答很满意。2.content多用作表语,后面还可接不定式。例如:He was quite content to do so.他甘愿这么做。contented可用作表语或定语。例如:He has a contented smile.他有一丝满意的笑容。satisfied多用作表语,很少作定语。例如:The mother was satisfied.妈妈很满意。
- satisfaction content
- His success gave me great satisfaction.
- Your work is satisfactory.
- I am satisfied at your success.
- He takes content in nothing.
- He takes content in everything.
- He is content to live in the countryside.
误 The content of his suitcase is doubtful.
正 The contents of his suitcase are doubtful.
误 Humus contents of the soil is very high.
正 Humus content of the soil is very high.
析 content作“所含之物”解时,通常用其复数形式; 而content of表示“…的容量,含量”，应用单数形式。
错句：i'm quite content for the offer you have made.
纠正：i'm quite content with the offer you have made.
分析：content作形容词“满意的”只能作表语，不能作定语，常用be content with或be content to do sth的表达方式。
- ☆ 15世纪初期进入英语，直接源自中世纪法语的conentt；最初源自拉丁语的conenttus，意为包含的，满足。
- content:content n. 内容, 容量, 目录, 满足adj. 满足的, 满意的, 愿意vt. 使满足习惯用语be content to do sth. 乐于做某事be content with 沉迷［满…