- vt. 举例子 give or mention as an example
- vt. 引用 quote a passage, book or author, especially as an authority
- vt. 嘉奖 mention as worthy of praise
- vt. 传唤 give a summon to (sb)
a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage;
"the student's essay failed to list several important citations"
"the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"
"the article includes mention of similar clinical cases"
make reference to;
"His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
"he was cited for his outstanding achievements"
"he referenced his colleagues' work"
repeat a passage from;
"He quoted the Bible to her"
refer to for illustration or proof;
"He said he could quote several instances of this behavior"
advance evidence for
call in an official matter, such as to attend court
- The lawyer cited a previous case to support his argument.
- It's no use citing the Bible to somebody who doesn't believe in God.
- I'll just cite some figures for comparison.
- He was cited for contempt of court.
- The soldier was cited by the king for his bravery.
- To illstrate the theory in question, we can cite many examples.
- He cited another example.
- Can you cite another case like this one?
- As a proof of this I may cite several facts.
- It's no use citing the Bible to someone who doesn't believe in God.
- He cited another example to illustrate his point of view.
- He cited examples in order to certify his statement.
- These lines are cited from a poem by Li Bai.
- The changes in cancer survival statistics are cited in a 100-pages report.
- The brave soldier was cited in official reports.
- Most of the units were cited according to their merits.
- He was cited in a murder case.
- cite for (v.+prep.)
因…传讯 give a summon to sb for sth
- cite another example 举出另一例子
- cite an author 引用作者的著作
- cite authorities 引证权威言论
- cite Karl Marx 引证卡尔·马克思的著作
- cite a line of verse 引用一行诗
- cite passage 引用一个段落
- cite sb's speech 引述某人的讲话
I cite the whole three verses.出自： Pope
He cited Ovid as having said this, and Meleager that, in praise of a fine head of hair.出自： R. Graves
After announcing this new industrial plan the White Paper cited the need for skilled labour.出自： J. F. Kennedy
The poem's last linesssometimes cited as a memorable evocation of urban violence.出自： I. Hamilton
- cite, quote, repeat
- 这组词都有“引用”的意思。它们的区别是：quote指引用原文或别人的原话、文章,也指摘引别人的内容或意思,并且说明出处,可以是为了证明自己的论点,也可以是为达到修饰特殊效果; cite指为了证明自己的论点或某一特定的原因而引证别人的话或词句; repeat只指重复别人的话或词句,不注明出处。 例如:
- I'll just cite some figures for comparison.我要引用一些数字作个比较。
- He quoted his own experiences in Mongolia and India.他提出他在蒙古和印度的经历作为引证。
- The statement has been uncritically repeated by other writers.这些话已为其他一些作家不加鉴别地反复引用。