enlarge, develop, or increase by degrees or in stages;
"build up your savings"
form or accumulate steadily;
"Resistance to the manager's plan built up quickly"
"Pressure is building up at the Indian-Pakistani border"
prepare oneself for a military confrontation;
"The U.S. is girding for a conflict in the Middle East"
"troops are building up on the Iraqi border"
bolster or strengthen;
"We worked up courage"
"build up confidence"
"ramp up security in the airports"
change the use of and make available or usable;
"The country developed its natural resources"
"The remote areas of the country were gradually built up"
- You should build your arguments on facts.
- We are planning to set up a publishing house.
- He tried to build up his strength.
- The publicity was intended to stoke up interest in her music.
- We first have to build up our reserves of manpower.
- The pressure on the enemy is building up quickly.
- The company has built up a large fund for ages.
- She could feel the tension building up in his body.
- build up 建立