- n. 晦暗；污渍
- v. 沾污
discoloration of metal surface caused by oxidation
make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically;
"The silver was tarnished by the long exposure to the air"
"Her reputation was sullied after the affair with a married man"
- Moisture leads to the tarnish of the silverware.
- Check cutlery to make sure them free from tarnish and stain.
- The firm's good name was badly tarnished by the scandal.
- If news of this gets out, it will tarnish his image.
- These pessimistic predictions and doubts, however, cannot tarnish facts.
Many metals rapidly..tarnish when exposed to even the driest air.出自： T. H. Huxley