- [C]鸭,野鸭 any of various type of common water-bird, domestic and wild
- [U]鸭肉 its flesh as food
- [C]亲爱的,宝贝儿 dear (as a form of address)
- vi. & vt. 躲避; 闪开 lower quickly especially so as to avoid being hit or seen
- vt. & vi. 潜入 push under water
small wild or domesticated web-footed broad-billed swimming bird usually having a depressed body and short legs
(cricket) a score of nothing by a batsman
flesh of a duck (domestic or wild)
a heavy cotton fabric of plain weave; used for clothing and tents
to move (the head or body) quickly downwards or away;
"Before he could duck, another stone struck him"
submerge or plunge suddenly
dip into a liquid;
"He dipped into the pool"
avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues);
"He dodged the issue"
"she skirted the problem"
"They tend to evade their responsibilities"
"he evaded the questions skillfully"
- The special today is pressed duck with walnuts.
- They visited a duck farm operated by the corporation.
- You cannot teach an old duck new tricks.
- There are many ducks swimming in the lake.
- She's a sweet old duck.
- The duck quacks.
- She raised ducks.
- He brought down several wild ducks on his last hunting trip.
- Somebody fired a gun and startled a flock of wild ducks.
- Donald Duck is as famous as Mickey Mouse.
- I prefer goose to duck.
- Some ancient old duck fooled them all!
- He is the queer old duck with the knee-length gaiters and walrus mustache.
- “Will you come with us?”“Will a duck swim?”
- I must have told him a hundred times, and he always forgets — it's like water off a duck's back.
我一定告诉他许多次了,而他总是忘记 —— 那不起作用。
- He is ducking under water.
- She had to duck to get through the low doorway.
- He ducked his head in the stream to get cool.
- The man ducked his son in the swimming pool.
- Don't try to duck cleaning up the kitchen.
- a sitting duck
容易攻击或容易击中的人或事物 person or thing that is an easy target, or is easy to attack
- play ducks and drakes with
浪费,挥霍 spend in a careless wasteful way; children's game in which flat stones are bounced across the surface of the water
- (take to sth/v-ing) like a duck to water
像鸭子下水般; 不犹豫地,不惧怕地,自然地 without hesitation, fear, or difficulty; naturally
- duck by (v.+prep.)
以…逃避 escape by means of
duck sb by v-ing
She ducked the interviewers by sneaking out the back door.
- duck down (v.+adv.)
低下身子躲过… lower one's body to avoid sth
The soldiers ducked down as the bullets began to fly.
Duck down behind this wall and then the policeman won't see you.
We saw the missile coming our way and ducked down.
- duck into (v.+prep.)
躲进 hide into
duck into sth
Duck into this doorway and hope he doesn't see us.
He ducked into the doctor's office and back out again.
- duck out of (v.+adv.+prep.)
逃避(做)… try to avoid (doing) sth
duck out of sth/v-ing
Don't try to duck out of the dishes!
It's unlawful to duck out of paying taxes.
- duck with (v.+prep.)
用…回避 avoid sth by
duck sth with sth
He ducked a question with a joke.
- chance the duck 好歹要干一下
- like a duck to water 自然地,毫无畏惧地
- duck down 低下身子躲过…
Her child..was so much her 'duck' that he grew up to be a goose.出自： C. H. Spurgeon
Nutty Nottingham Council has banned workers calling each other 'love' or 'duck' under new anti-sexism laws.出自：Sun
She..stepped down into cooler water, ducked, then got out.出自： W. Golding
- duck用作可数名词意思是“鸭子”,尤指“母鸭”, duck有两种复数形式:duck和ducks,一般情况下多用零复数形式,只有在指不同的种类和个体时才采用规则复数形式。
- “Will a duck swim?”的意思是“还用说吗?”。
- duck作“躲避; 闪开”解时可表示动作,也可表示状态; 多用作及物动词,接名词或动名词作宾语。
- duck, dodge, fence, malinger, parry, shirk
- 这组词都有“回避”的意思,它们之间的区别是:fence指像击剑者那样“躲避”,强调灵巧和勇气; dodge强调动作迅速或突然变换位置进行“躲闪”,含有策略、机警、聪明的意思; duck指突然地弯腰或好像弯腰那样进行“躲〔回〕避”; malinger指伪装有病或虚弱,以“逃避”职责或艰巨的任务等; parry强调自卫的技能和灵巧; shirk指卑鄙地、胆怯地、鬼祟地去“躲〔回〕避”。例如:
- He was able to dodge so that the man's knife went through his sleeve, wounding him only slightly.他来得及躲开,那人的小刀刺穿他的衣袖,他仅受了点轻伤。
- He saw a policeman coming and ducked behind a car.他看到一个警察向他走来,便闪身躲在一辆汽车后面。
- She says she's got flu, but I think she's malingering.她说她感冒了,但我认为她是在装病逃避工作。
- I parried her question by the best excuses I could offer.我用自己能找到的最好借口回避她的问题。
- He shirked his duty to his family.他逃避家庭的职责。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的duce，意为鸭，潜水者。