- vi. & vt. 死亡; 枯萎 come to the end of life; stop living
a small cube with 1 to 6 spots on the six faces; used in gambling to generate random numbers
a device used for shaping metal
a cutting tool that is fitted into a diestock and used for cutting male (external) screw threads on screws or bolts or pipes or rods
pass from physical life and lose all bodily attributes and functions necessary to sustain life;
"She died from cancer"
"The children perished in the fire"
"The patient went peacefully"
"The old guy kicked the bucket at the age of 102"
suffer or face the pain of death;
"Martyrs may die every day for their faith"
be brought to or as if to the point of death by an intense emotion such as embarrassment, amusement, or shame;
"I was dying with embarrassment when my little lie was discovered"
"We almost died laughing during the show"
stop operating or functioning;
"The engine finally went"
"The car died on the road"
"The bus we travelled in broke down on the way to town"
"The coffee maker broke"
"The engine failed on the way to town"
"her eyesight went after the accident"
feel indifferent towards;
"She died to worldly things and eventually entered a monastery"
languish as with love or desire;
"She dying for a cigarette"
"I was dying to leave"
cut or shape with a die;
"Die out leather for belts"
to be on base at the end of an inning, of a player
lose sparkle or bouquet;
"wine and beer can pall"
disappear or come to an end;
"Their anger died"
"My secret will die with me!"
suffer spiritual death; be damned (in the religious sense);
"Whosoever..believes in me shall never die"
- Nowadays many people die of cancer.
- Many people die from famine in Africa.
- My grandfather died at the age of 86.
- Flowers soon die if they are left without water.
- Coal mining is dying in this area.
- These rumors will soon die away.
- Many language are likely to die out.
- She's dying to know where you've been.
- All men must die.
- One day I'll die.
- He became very ill and then he died.
- The writer died not very long ago.
- Without air a living thing will die.
- Flowers soon die if they are left without water.
- He died at the stake.
- He died through the bursting of a blood vessel.
- The baby died through his clothes being burned.
- The man is dying.
- His mother is very ill. I'm afraid she is dying.
- He has been dying for a week.
- They could see he was dying.
- The old system is dying.
- The memory of her will never die.
- True love never dies.
- Even the union leaders hoped that the strike would die quietly.
- The noisy conversation of the class died suddenly when the teacher came into the room.
- His anger died.
- The wind died.
- In some places the flames were dying, in others they were still leaping high.
- His fame will never die.
- Superstitions die slowly.
- He is dying to go to the sea.
- It was clear that they were dying to know it.
- I am dying to know the development of the story.
- We are dying to know the result of the experiment.
- London was a new world to me and I was dying to find out more about it for myself.
- She's dying to know where you've been.
- He died a beggar.
- She died a rich woman.
- He died a millionaire.
- He died a martyr at his post.
- He hoped to marry her, but she died young.
- His wife died young leaving three daughters.
- I can help him no more. Let me die happy.
- He died a miserable death.
- He died a sudden death in a California car crash in 1940.1940
- We must do everything we can to save the dying boy.
- die away (v.+adv.)
(尤指声音、光、风)逐渐消失或停止 become weaker or fainter until it ceases
The sound of the music died away.
His footsteps died away in the darkness.
All conversation died away.
Now that the cheers had died away, the circus tent seemed oddly quiet.
All his anger died away.
His voice died away and he fell asleep.
- die back (v.+adv.)
(植物)枯死但根部还活着 die but remain alive at the roots
The dahlias died back when that first cold spelled.
The bushes may have died back in this cold autumn, but they will grow again next spring.
- die by (v.+prep.)
死于…,以…方式而死 die by means of (sth)
die by sth/v-ing
They who deny the power of the king shall die by the sword.
Many people have died by violence.
Many people died by drowning in the great floods.
- die down (v.+adv.)
变得越来越弱直到消失 become gradually less strong until it ceases
The shots died down.
The laughter died down.
The wind died down at last and all was quiet.
When the hunt has died down we shall be able to leave our hiding place.
The excitement died down as time went by.
The feeling between them had died down.
- die for (v.+prep.)
〈口〉急需(某物) want (sth) very much
die for sb/sth
To die for the people is a glorious deed!
Many religious people would die for their beliefs.
It used to be considered part of a young man's duty to die for his country.
过去,为国捐躯一直被认为是年轻人的一份义务。be dying for sth
It's so hot today,I'm dying for a drink.
I'm dying for a cup of tea.
He is dying for the book.
- die from (v.+prep.)
死于(某种原因,不包括疾病、过度悲伤等) die following (sth, except illness or feeling)
die from sth
She died from a wound.
The young driver died from the wounds that he received in the road accident.
The child died from her fall out of the high window.
It was obvious that the man died from suffocation.
Five men died from police gunfire.
In a severe winter, wild animals can die from lack of food.
- die in (v.+prep.)
在(某事中或在某地方)死去 die during (an event) or in (a place)
die in sth
He died in an accident.
The young driver died in the car crash.
Fewer people die in hospital than at home.
He watched his cigarette die in the ashtray.
He died in his bed.
He died in his office.
- die of (v.+prep.)
强烈地感受到…,…得要命 feel (sth) very strongly
die of sth
He died of cancer.
The blacksmith died of the rum bottle and stroke.
She died of a fever, and no one could save her.
Some of his children died of undernourishment.
He died of his wound.
My grandmother died of grief soon after her husband's death.
祖父去世不久,祖母就因悲伤过度而死了。be dying of sth
I am dying of boredom!
The children are dying of curiosity to see what's in the parcel.
- die off (v.+adv.)
(一组生命体)一个接一个地死去直到死光 die one by one
Her friends are all dying off.
The deer in the forest are all dying off from disease.
The trees have been dying off during the severe winter, and there are few left.
The bamboo forest burst into flower and then died off.
This species is dying off.
The rumble of thunder died off.
- die out (v.+adv.)
(指物种、家族、习惯、观念等)绝迹,消失 cease to exist; disappear
He is the last of the family; after his death the name will die out.
Some species died out.
This kind of bird is dying out.
If too many of these rare animals are killed, their kind will die out.
Traditional grocers' shops are fast dying out now that there are so many supermarkets.
Many old customs are gradually dying out.
It's time this selfish habit died out.
That style of music died out ten years ago.
- die with (v.+prep.)
随着(某人的死)而丧失,消失 be lost at the death of (sb)
- die a beggar 穷困潦倒而死
- die a dog's death 死得可鄙
- die a glorious death 死得光荣
- die a hero's death 英勇牺牲
- die a martyr 死于自杀
- die a worthy death 死得其所
- die game 奋战而死
- die a lingering death 拖延多日才死去
- die the death 死于非命
- die accidentally 偶然地死去
- die calmly 平静地死去
- die courageously 勇敢地死去
- die daily 虽生犹死
- die eventually 最终死去
- die gladly 甘心死去
- die gloriously 光荣地死去
- die happily 快乐地死去
- die immediately 立即死去
- die instantly 立即死亡
- die miserably 惨死
- die peacefully 宁静地死去
- die possibly 可能死去
- die shamefully 羞愧地死去
- die slowly 慢慢地死掉
- die suddenly 突然死亡
- die wholly 彻底地枯萎
- die away 渐渐消失
- die back 凋落
- die down 渐渐平息
- die off 相继死去
- die out 灭绝
- die at 死在…
- die at one's post 殉职
- die at the stake 受火刑而死
- die by 死于…
- die by drowning 淹死
- die by hanging 吊死
- die by one's own hand 自杀
- die by some poison 中毒而死
- die by the sword 被剑杀
- die by violence 横死
- die for 极想得到…
- die for a cause 为事业而死
- die for lack of air 因缺空气而死
- die for one's country 殉国,为国牺牲
- die for want of food 因缺乏食物而死
- die from 因…而死
- die from a blow 被打中而死
- die from a disease 得病而死
- die from an accident 死于事故
- die from carelessness 由于大意而死
- die from drinking too much wine 饮酒过多而死
- die from eating to excess 饮食过度而死
- die from hunger 饥饿而死
- die from overwork 工作过度而死
- die from some unknown cause 由于不明原因而死
- die from weakness 衰弱而死
- die in agony 痛苦而死
- die in battle 战死,阵亡
- die in childbed 因分娩而死
- die in harness 至死不倦
- die in misery 死得凄惨
- die in office 死于任职期间
- die in one's bed 寿终正寝
- die in one's shoes 暴死
- die in poverty 贫困而死
- die in the last ditch 奋战而死,战斗到底
- die of 因…而死
- die of a disease 病死
- die of a fall 失足摔死
- die of age 老死
- die of a broken heart 失望而死
- die of cholera 死于霍乱
- die of cold 冻死
- die of consumption 死于肺结核
- die of disappointment 失望而死
- die of exhaustion 过度疲劳而死
- die of fever 高烧而死
- die of grief 悲痛而死
- die of heat 热死
- die of hunger 饿死
- die of illness 病死
- die of overwork 累死
- die of poison 中毒而死
- die of poverty 因贫穷而死
- die of shame 羞愧而死
- die of sorrow 悲伤而死
- die of the bite of a snake 蛇咬而死
- die of thirst 渴死
- die of a wound 受伤而死
- die on 中途死亡
- die on the air 渐渐消失
- die on the vine 失败
- die through 由于…而死亡
- die through neglect 由于不小心而死
- die to 舍弃…
- die to criticism 不顾批评
- die to insult 不顾耻辱
- die to reproach 不顾责备
- die to self 舍己,无我
- die to shame 死不要脸
- die under 在…之中死亡
- die upon 死于…
- die with anger 气死
- die with envy 嫉妒而死
- die with fatigue 过度疲劳而死
- die with grief 忧郁而死
- die with joy 乐死
- die with laughing 狂笑而死
- die with shame 羞愧而死
- die within 不复存在
Dependent on the turn of a die, on the tossing up of a halfpenny.出自： Hazlitt
It is not gambling when I know the dice are loaded in my favor.出自： E. O
She died only the other day at the age of about a hundred and ten.出自： R. Campbell
Four sons, two of whom died in the First World War.出自： J. Fowles
- die主要用作不及物动词,也可用作系动词,接名词或形容词作表语,表示死时的身份或状态。die有时也可用作及物动词,但必须接同源名词death作宾语, death前常可有形容词修饰。die不用于被动结构。
- die和副词小品词连用可组成短语如die away, die down, die out,均表示由大到小,由近到远,由有到无,指灯光、火光、声音等逐渐消失。
- 在口语中, die往往作“渴望、切望”或“强烈地感受到”解,表示一种极度状态,此时用现在进行时,其后可接介词for〔of, to〕或动词不定式。
- die by, die for, die from, die of
- 1.die from和die of意思相同,用die of时较多。die from一般指害病、疲劳、负伤、饥渴、辛苦、失望等致死, die of常指饮食过度、工作过度、饮酒过量等致死。
- 2.die for表示为了理想、事业而献身或因犯罪而被处死。例如:
- He died for his belief.他为了自己的信仰而献身了。
- He died for the crime he had committed.他因所犯的罪行而被处死。
- 3.die by则多表示横死。例如:
- He died by his own hand.他自杀了。
- die, peg out
- 这组词语都有“死”的意思。其区别在于:peg out是英式英语,多用于口语中,只指“人死”; 而die是一种比较正式的用法,指人时相当于pass away,也可以指植物“干枯”。
- die out, wipe out
- In order to find ways to wipe out flies, the biologist has spent 33 years watching their behaviour.
- 为了消灭苍蝇,这位生物学家花了33 年时间观察苍蝇的行为。
- If too many of these rare animals are killed, their kind will die out.
- 如果过多地屠杀这些稀有动物,它们 就会绝种。
- die, assassinate, execute, kill
- 1.kill表示“杀死”,是中性词,一般指死于非命; die表示“死”,是中性词,一般指正常死亡。例如:
- He died three years ago.他三年前去世了。
- The attempt of assassinating the prime minister failed.刺杀首相的企图未能得逞。
- The man was executed for treason of his own country.那人因叛国罪而被处死。
- 2.kill的宾语可以是人或物,施动者也可以是人或物; die常用作不及物动词,不用于被动结构,可跟同源宾语。例如:
- She died a heroic death.她英勇就义了。
- The invaders murdered thousands and thousands of the natives.侵略者屠杀了成千上万的当地居民。
- die, expire, pass away, perish
- die是这一组词中最常用的,用于一切有生命的或被人们比喻为有生命的东西; expire是书面用语,是一种委婉的说法,意思是“呼出最后一口气”; pass away是die的委婉说法,语气比较缓和; perish是较正式用语,指死于暴力或困境等非正常死亡。例如:
- He became very ill and then he died.他病得很重,接着就死了。
- The old man expired at the age of eighty.老人于80岁时逝世。
- Five people perished in the fire.大火中有五人丧生。
- die for, ache for, hanger for, long for, sign for, starve for, thirst for
- The woman died of shame.
- The woman died to shame.
- She must be dead.
- She must have died.
- die，decease，expire，perish，pass away
- pass away是die的委婉用语。
误 He has died for three years.
正 He died three years ago.
误 He was died three years ago.
正 He died three years ago.
误 Although they died, they have won the honour for their country.
正 Although they are dead, they have won the honour for their country.
析 die的过去式一般只用在如“说明何时死的,生什么病死的,死时年轻(富有或贫穷)等”场合,英美人习惯用be dead表示“某人已死”。
- ☆ 12世纪中期进入英语，直接源自古丹麦语的dja；最初源自原始日耳曼语的dawjanan，意为去世。