- vt. & vi. 擦,拭,抹; 擦去,拭去,抹去 rub sth with cloth, paper, hands, etc. to clean or dry it
- [C] 擦,拭,揩,抹,搽 act of wiping
the act of rubbing or wiping;
"he gave the hood a quick rub"
rub with a circular motion;
"wipe the blackboard"
"He passed his hands over the soft cloth"
- She wiped her tears away.
- I wiped my shoes on the mat before I came in.
- When you have washed the car , wipe it down well .
- He tried to wipe out the memory of his former girlfriend.
- How could I trace your hair to wipe your tears?My hands reached out, catching nothing but a raindrop, on a leaf that had withered.
- Only in this way can we wipe out the enemy troops.
- He wiped me with his fist.
- Please give the table mats a quick wipe.
- Please wipe the table with a dry cloth.
- Life is like a mop, using today to mop up yesterday and wipe out tomorrow.
- She wiped vigorously but the stain remained.
- He went on talking, occasionally wiping at his face with a towel.
- Please wipe the top of the table, it is wet.
- She wipes the furniture and the floor every day.
- The waitress was wiping the dishes when the phone rang.
- The teacher wiped the misspelling from the blackboard.
- Take this handkerchief and wipe your nose,Mary.
- She wiped sweat from her forehead.
- Time had wiped her image from my memory.
- She wiped a cloth over the dusty table.
- He wiped his hand across his forehead.
- It takes time to wipe the windowpanes dry and clean.
- Wipe your face clean.
- After a long argument they decided to wipe the state clean and be friends again.
- The blackboard has been wiped clean.
- Give your nose a good wipe.
- Give this plate a good wipe.
- Give your hands a wipe on this towel.
- Please give the table mats a quick wipe.
- The cook gave every bowl a wipe before landing food into it.
- He fetched me a wipe.
- wipe away (v.+adv.)
擦掉,清除 remove by or as if by rubbing, clean away by wiping
wipe sth ⇔ away
He wiped away the grease from the wind screen of the car.
The rain then falling wiped away all the footprints.
We tried to wipe away all signs of our presence.
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.
She wiped the sweat away from her brow with the back of hand.
- wipe off1 (v.+adv.)
〈口〉了结(债务) put an end to sth such as a debt〔说明〕 wipe off作此解时一般不用于进行体。
Paint won't wipe off.
油漆擦不掉。wipe sth ⇔ off
Would you please wipe off the table?
Here's a brush to wipe off the mud on your clothes.
The teacher told us not to wipe off what he had written on the blackboard.
He wiped off the words from the blackboard before I could copy them down.
They wiped off the blood and went into battle again.
The girl wiped the dirty marks off.
那女孩擦掉了脏痕。wipe sth ⇔ off
It took five years for the couple to wipe off all the debts.
Tom's uncle sent him a sum of money which enabled him to wipe off his debts.
You have helped me so much that I am willing to wipe off the ￡20 you owe me.
Generously, he agreed to wipe off their small debt to him as a mark of respect for their dead father.
I shall never feel satisfied until that debt is wiped off.
- wipe off2 (v.+prep.)
把…从…擦掉 remove sth such as a mark from a surface
wipe sth off sth
Wipe the dirt off your shoes.
She stood up to wipe the sweat off her face.
Once inside the factory yard,Mother set her baskets down, wiped the sweat off her face and looked round.
I'm sorry. I wiped those words off the blackboard before I remembered that you wanted them left on.
- wipe on (v.+prep.)
在…上擦… clean sth on sth
wipe sth on sth
Wipe your shoes on the mat before coming into the house.
He wiped his dirty hands on his apron.
Wipe wax on the scratched surface.
- wipe out (v.+adv.)
彻底摧毁,消灭 cancel〔destroy〕 sth completely; put an end to sth; kill, destroy or get rid of sb/sth, especially in great numbers
wipe sth ⇔ out
It is months since he wiped out the fuel tank.
Don't forget to wipe out the sink when you've finished the dishes.
Could you wipe the basin out?
We wiped the bottles out before returning to the milkman.
These cups have been thoroughly wiped out.
Make sure that the inside of the coffee pot is thoroughly wiped out.
These stains won't easily wipe out.
这些斑点不易去掉。wipe sth ⇔ out
Wipe out the pencil marks on your textbook!
She got angry and wiped out her name on the blackboard.
她生气了,于是就把黑板上写的自己的名字擦掉了。wipe sth ⇔ out
This last payment will wipe out your debt to me.
After years of family fighting, the uncles agreed to wipe out old scores so their children could marry.
经过多年家族争斗之后,长辈们同意消除宿怨,以便孩子们可以通婚。wipe sb/sth ⇔ out
They wiped him out to keep him from appearing as a witness.
The epidemic wiped out half the town's population.
One atom bomb can wipe out thousands of people.
We are always ready to wipe out any enemy who dares to attack.
The enemy wiped out the whole nation.
Doctors are searching for a cure that will wipe out cancer.
Centuries ago, this deserted place was a flourishing town, but a tornado is said to have wiped it out.
Smoking in the field is strictly forbidden in the harvest season; a single spark can start a fire that will wipe out all the crop.
The depression wiped out his savings.
His generous gift has helped to wipe out our loss.
The wicked must be wiped out.
Thousands of men were wiped out in that battle.
A whole battalion of enemy troops were wiped out in the battle.
All four aircrafts were wiped out by missiles fired from the ground.
The city was completely wiped out.
Illiteracy has been wiped out in our village.
As time went on, those unpleasant events were gradually wiped out from his memory.
- wipe up (v.+adv.)
(把洗过的碗碟等用抹布)擦干,擦掉(落下的某物或溅出的液体等) take up liquid etc. by mopping〔rubbing〕 with a cloth, or to dry crockery, etc. after it has been washed; make dry
wipe sth ⇔ up
Anyone is welcome to use the meeting room but must wipe up the mess afterward.
Who is going to wipe up this mess?
The waitress wiped up the soup spilt over the table.
Don't let the coffee sink into the carpet; wipe it up.
- wipe with (v.+prep.)
用…擦 clean (sth such as a surface) by rubbing with (a cloth); use (a cloth) for cleaning
wipe sth with sth
Mother wiped the glasses with a dry towel.
I like to wipe the windows with a very soft cloth.
He wiped his face and neck with a towel.
He wiped the sweat from his brow with his hands.
- wipe a bike 擦自行车
- wipe a car 擦汽车
- wipe a dish 擦碟子
- wipe a glass 擦杯子
- wipe a pane of glass 擦玻璃
- wipe a stain 擦去污点
- wipe a table 擦桌子
- wipe dirty marks 擦去脏痕
- wipe footprints 擦掉脚印
- wipe grease 擦去油渍
- wipe one's chin 擦下巴
- wipe one's eyes 擦眼睛
- wipe one's face 擦脸
- wipe one's feet 擦脚
- wipe one's hands 擦手
- wipe one's mouth 擦嘴巴
- wipe one's neck 擦脖子
- wipe one's nose 擦鼻子
- wipe one's tears 擦眼泪
- wipe shoes 擦鞋
- wipe spit 擦口水
- wipe sweat 擦汗珠
- wipe the dust 擦去灰尘
- wipe the floor 擦地板
- wipe the furniture 擦家具
- wipe the mud 擦去泥
- wipe the washing-up bowl 把洗的碗揩干
- wipe windowpanes 擦窗玻璃
- wipe abruptly 突然地擦
- wipe absent-mindedly 心不在焉地擦
- wipe cautiously 细心地擦
- wipe cleverly 灵活地擦
- wipe completely 彻底擦去
- wipe confusedly 慌乱地擦
- wipe cunningly 巧妙地擦
- wipe deftly 巧妙地擦
- wipe dictatorially 专横地擦
- wipe eagerly 急切地擦
- wipe gently 轻轻擦
- wipe gradually 渐渐抹掉
- wipe hastily 草草地擦
- wipe instantaneously 即刻擦
- wipe mechanically 呆板地擦
- wipe noiselessly 悄悄地擦
- wipe occasionally 偶尔擦
- wipe quietly 从容地擦
- wipe repeatedly 反复擦
- wipe resolutely 果断地擦
- wipe sedately 沉着地擦
- wipe thoroughly 彻底擦
- wipe timidly 胆怯地擦
- wipe vigorously 使劲擦
- wipe away 擦掉,清除
- wipe down 彻底擦去
- wipe off 揩去,擦掉,销掉,付清
- wipe off evil practice 铲除恶习
- wipe off old scores 消除宿怨
- wipe out 擦洗(某物的)内部,消灭,毁灭
- wipe out a family 灭绝满门
- wipe out deficits 消灭赤字
- wipe out difficulties 克服困难
- wipe out disgrace 雪耻
- wipe out illiteracy 扫除文盲
- wipe out losses 消除损失
- wipe over 随便擦擦
- wipe up 擦干(洗过的碗碟等),擦掉(落下的某物或溅出的液体等)
- wipe on a towel 用毛巾擦
Take the poker, and fetch it a wipe across the nose.出自： G. B. Shaw
Daisy..wiped her face with the back of her hand.出自： P. Fitzgerald
Rosie looked down at her earth-stained fingers...She wiped them on..her dress.出自： A. Huth
It was Henry who..scrubbed the kitchen floor, wiped down the surfaces.出自： N. Williams
- wipe主要用作及物动词。作“擦”解时,其宾语可以是桌椅、自行车等物品或眼睛、额头等人体器官; 作“擦去”解时,其宾语则是灰尘、眼泪等被擦去的东西。
- wipe还可以接dry, clean等形容词充当补足语的复合宾语。
- wipe可与away, off, out, up等构成短语动词,表示“擦净,擦干”等意义。wipe out还可用于引申义如“消灭”“毁灭”等。
- 在口语中, wipe也可作“狠狠的一击”解。
- wipe with, wipe on
- wipe A with B表示的是“用…擦…”,一般说,A是静的,B是动的; 而wipe A on B表示的是“在…上擦…”,一般说,A是动的,B是静的。另外, wipe A on B还含有从A上擦下来的东西附着在B上的意味。注意有的句子只能用wipe with,有的句子只能用wipe on,有的句子用with或on均可。试体会下面三个句子的含义：
- He wiped the furniture with a damp cloth.
- Wipe your boots on the mat.
- He wiped his nose with〔on〕 his handker- chief.
- wipe away, wipe off, wipe out, wipe up
- 1.在构成上, wipe away, wipe out和wipe up都是“动+副”型短语动词; 而wipe off则既是“动+副”型短语动词,又是“动+介”型短语动词。
- 2.在含义上, wipe away强调“擦下去,擦掉”, wipe off指从表面上擦去, wipe out指把器物的里面擦干净, wipe up则指把洗过的碗碟等擦干或把落下的某物或溅出的液体等擦掉。
- 3.在用法上, wipe away, wipe out和wipe up都使用wipe sth away〔out,up〕句型; 而wipe off除使用wipe sth off句型外,还可使用wipe sth off sth 句型。
- 4.wipe out常用来表示“摧毁”“消灭”“杀死”等义, wipe off和wipe up较少用于表示这些意思,而wipe away则一般不用于表示这些意思。在作“消灭”“毁灭”解时, wipe out有“大量”“成批”“不留痕迹”的意味, wipe up则有将被消灭的人〔物〕视如“溅出”之物的意味,暗含一种蔑视的感情。
- 5.wipe off和wipe out都可表示“了结”,另外两个短语则无此含义。
- wipe, rub
- He bent over and rubbed his sore ankle.他弯着身子按摩疼痛的脚踝。
- Trainers rub down an athlete after hard exercise.强化训练之后,教练员为运动员按摩。
- Please wipe up the spilt milk.请把溅出来的牛奶擦干净。
- I rubbed the rust from the old machine.我把旧机器上的锈擦掉。
- She was rubbing her shoes with a brush.她正用刷子擦她的鞋子。
- She has rubbed up the plate.她把盘子擦亮了。
- wipe, clean, sweep
- sweep用在“打扫房间,拖擦地板”的场合,含有“扫在一起后把它清除掉”的意味; clean指“擦洗,去掉污垢”,并不注重采用何种手段; wipe多指“用布轻轻地”擦。
- wipe out, die out
- In order to find ways to wipe out flies, the biologist has spent 33 years watching their behaviour.
- 为了消灭苍蝇,这位生物学家花了33 年时间观察苍蝇的行为。
- If too many of these rare animals are killed, their kind will die out.
- 如果过多地屠杀这些稀有动物,它们 就会绝种。
误 Please wipe the dishes dryly.
正 Please wipe the dishes dry.
析 表示“把…擦干”可以用“wipe+sth+ adj. ”结构,这里dry是宾语dishes的补语,表示动词wipe的动作发生后宾语dishes的变化,形容词dry不可用副词dryly代替。她擦去桌面上的灰尘。
误 She wiped the dust out of the tabletop.
正 She wiped the dust off the tabletop.
析 out of表示“向外的动作”, off才表示“脱离的动作”。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的wipian，意为擦洗。