- [C] 妻子 the woman to whom a man is married
a married woman; a man's partner in marriage
- He kissed his wife and children good-bye.
- The cruel man abandoned his wife and child.
- She tried to be an affectionate wife.
- He first met his wife in Rome.
- He treats his wife like a slave.
- She is a good wife and a devoted mother.
- The President's wife follows his every word.
- He employed a detective to shadow his wife.
- Would you please hand this letter to my wife?
- I think my wife must be fond of them.
- That will be his wife with him, I suppose.
- My wife doesn't understand me.
- What can I do to win my wife back?
- I want you for my wife, will you marry me?
- My wife will witness that I was at home all night.
- The danger and difficulties of his work greatly worried his wife.
- His wife walks over him.
- Everyone can see that the death of his wife weighs on him heavily.
- His wife walked out on him, and was later seen in a neighbouring city with another man.
- He expected his wife to wait on him hand and foot.
- He visited his anger on his wife.
- He'll unload his wife.
- He married a wife by whom he had two daughters.
- Some people think that husband and wife should never work together.
- The two men went fishing while their wives prepared the dinner.
- an old wives' tale
荒唐故事,无稽之谈 old and usually foolish idea
- afford one's wife 供养妻子
- beat one's wife 殴打妻子
- bring one's wife with him 带着夫人
- get a wife 有妻子,娶妻
- hate one's wife 恨自己的妻子
- have a wife 已娶妻,有妻子
- have one as a wife 娶某人为妻
- kiss one's wife 吻自己的妻子
- kill one's wife 杀死自己的妻子
- leave one's wife 离开自己的妻子
- lose one's wife 丧妻
- love one's wife 爱自己的妻子
- make (sb) a wife 使(某人)成为妻子
- marry a wife 娶妻
- miss one's wife 想念自己的妻子
- neglect one's wife 慢怠自己的妻子,对妻子冷淡
- put away one's wife 置妻室于不顾
- take sb as a wife 娶某人为妻
- treat one's wife badly 待妻子不好
- abused wife 受虐待的妻子
- agreeable wife 惬意的夫人
- beautiful wife 美丽的妻子
- cold wife 冷漠的妻子
- devoted wife 忠诚的妻子
- faithful wife 忠实的妻子
- first wife 第一夫人(国家元首的妻子)
- former wife 前妻
- good wife 贤妻
- hardworking wife 勤劳的妻子
- lawful wife 正妻,原配夫人
- legal wife 合法的妻子,正妻
- lifelong wife 终身伴侣,结发妻子
- loving wife 可爱的妻子
- old wife 上了年纪的妻子
- rich wife 有钱的妻子
- second wife 第二夫人,第二个妻子
- sick wife 多病的妻子
- virtuous wife 贤惠的妻子,忠贞的妻子
- wealthy wife 有钱的妻子
- young wife 年轻的妻子
The village school..had..a kitchen where a wife from the village made flavourless meals.出自： A. Gray
- give sb to wife表示“嫁给某人为妻”, take〔have〕 sb to wife表示“娶某人为妻”“娶妻”也可用marry a wife。
- old wife, old girl, old lady, old woman
- 1.old girl一般用于子女对母亲或丈夫对妻子的昵称,也可用于对任何年龄女子的爱称(如老大姐),有时则用于贬义,是一种讽刺或不尊敬的称呼。在英国学校中可指“女校友”“女毕业生”。old girl还可用作母马的爱称,常译为“老伙计”。
- 2.old lady和old wife同义,相当于汉语中的“老伴”“老婆”,用于比喻可指“婆婆妈妈的人”。
- 3.old woman是口语用语,在子女与母亲间或夫妻间使用时意思同old girl。用于比喻可指“畏畏缩缩,行为像女人或办事缺乏主动性的男人”。
误 He has three children from his first wife.
正 He has three children by his first wife.
误 take〔have〕 sb to a wife
误 take〔have〕 sb to sb's wife
误 take〔have〕 sb to the wife
正 take〔have〕 sb to wife
析 take〔have〕 sb to wife是固定搭配, wife前不可用任何冠词或人称代词。布朗先生去世了,他的妻子只好支撑着这个家。
误 Mr. Brown is dead, and his wife has to support the family.
正 Mr. Brown is dead, and his widow has to support the family.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的wif，意为女性。
- spouse 配偶
- mate 配偶
- bride 新娘
- married woman 有夫之妇
- partner 伙伴
- significant other 配偶
- companion 同伴
- consort <正式>（君王的）配偶...
- helpmeet 合作者
- female 女性的
- married 已婚的
- woman 妇女
- husband 丈夫