- vt. & vi. 称…的重量,估量 measure (by means of a scale) how heavy sth is
- vi. 重达(多少) show a certain measure when put on a scale, etc.
- vt. 权衡; 考虑 compare the importance, value, etc. of (one thing and another)
have a certain weight
show consideration for; take into account;
"You must consider her age"
"The judge considered the offender's youth and was lenient"
determine the weight of;
"The butcher weighed the chicken"
have weight; have import, carry weight;
"It does not matter much"
to be oppressive or burdensome;
"weigh heavily on the mind"
"Something pressed on his mind"
- He weighed the ideas in his mind.
- It's been weighing on my mind for days whether to tell her or not.
- The branches of the trees were weighed down by snow.
- He weighed in at several pounds below the limit.
- Some of the stones weigh twenty-six tons!
- A full-grown elephant can weigh over 6,000 kilograms.
- When did you weigh last?
- I weighs heavy.
- I weigh less than I used to.
- The first man-made satellite of our country weighs 173 kilogrammes.
- This marble ramp weighs 260 tons.
- How much do you weigh?
- The doctor weighed the baby every month.
- The grocer was weighing the biscuits on his scales.
- In examining the plan, we must weigh the advantages and disadvantages.
- He weighed the ideas in his mind.
- We have to weigh the evidence and make a decision.
- In such a delicate situation one has to weigh one's words.
- He advised me to weigh my words carefully before making the complaint.
- Richard carefully weighed the phrases.
- The elevator is weighed too heavily.
- The point deserves to be carefully weighed.
- weigh against (v.+prep.)
成为对某人不利的证据 be recorded as unfavourable to sb
weigh sth against sth
We must weigh one fact against the next to arrive at an answer.
The quality of the product must be weighed against its cost.
产品的质量与成本必须均衡考虑。weigh against sb
His testimony will weigh heavily against you.
His frequent lateness will weigh against him when the new appointments are being decided.
- weigh down (v.+adv.)
使某人难过 make sb very sadHis years weigh him down.年岁使他衰颓。
- weigh in (v.+adv.)
发表见解 add an opinion, as to help decide an argument
They weighed in before the fight.
The boxer weighed in at 150 pounds.
这位拳击手在赛前所称的体重为150磅。weigh sb/sth ⇔ in
Who is responsible for weighing the two men in?
Have all the suitcases been weighed in?The plane will take off in half an hour.
飞机将在半小时后起飞,所有的旅行箱都称过了吗?weigh in to sth
George weighed in to stop the fight.
乔治出来制止打架。weigh in with sth
At last she weighed in with an argument against the proposal.
We would have won if you hadn't tried to weigh in with your silly ideas.
- weigh on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
(使)某人焦虑 cause worry to sb or sb's mind
weigh on〔upon〕 sb/sth
I can see that his new responsibilities are weighing heavily on the young father.
The girl refused to say a word after her meeting with the lawyer.Her silence began to weigh on her parents.
Everyone can see that the death of his wife weighs on him heavily.
Don't bother your father with so many questions.He already has too many weighing on his mind.
The news weighed on her mind.
The matter weighed upon his conscience.
- weigh out (v.+adv.)
称出,量出 measure or portion out on a pair of scales
weigh sth ⇔ out
He weighed out a pound of tomatoes.
He weighed out five kilos of rice for each one of them, telling them that it should last two weeks.
Flour, sugar, milk, bananas and eggs should be carefully weighed out for making a banana cake.
- weigh up (v.+adv.)
考虑之后再决定 consider sth before deciding
weigh sth ⇔ up
Weigh up the sugar in jin packages.
She weighed up flour, sugar, and cream for a cake.
Cotton was picked and weighed up.
把棉花摘下来,并称重量。weigh sb/sth ⇔ up
They carefully weighed up the consequence of such an action.
The children all looked up their new teacher silently, weighing him up.
孩子们都默默地看着他们的新老师,揣摩他是个什么样的人。weigh up wh-to-v
I've been weighing up whether to go to college or to go to work.
He was weighing up whether to stay with us or not.
A number of countries are still weighing up whether to vote against the motion or to abstain.
一些国家仍在考虑是投反对票还是弃权票。weigh up wh-clause
Parents may weigh up whether their child should go home or to stay for the summer camp.
- weigh with (v.+prep.)
对…有说服力,对…有影响 have power to convince; have influence on
weigh with sb
His remarks does not weigh with me at all.
Her opinion always weighs a lot with me because she is a close friend of mine.
- weigh eighty pounds 重80磅
- weigh one's words 斟酌词句
- weigh the advantages and disadvantages 权衡利弊
- weigh the baby 称婴儿的体重
- weigh the biscuits 称饼干
- weigh the evidence 考虑这个证据
- weigh the idea 考虑这个意见
- weigh carefully 仔细地称重,仔细地考虑
- weigh correctly 正确地考虑
- weigh gravely 郑重地提出意见
- weigh heavily 负载超重
- weigh judiciously 明智地考虑
- weigh minutely 很小影响
- weigh seriously 严重影响
- weigh in 称重量,(拳击手、摔跤手等赛前)称体重
- weigh down with debts〔anxieties〕 负债累累
- weigh out 称重量
- weigh up 仔细考虑
Hoisted his sail, his anchor weigh'd.出自： Sir W. Scott
- weigh, consider, contemplate, study
- 这四个词都可表示“考虑”。contemplate指沉思默想,强调持久的、冷静的、注意力集中的思维,但不包含思维的目的、方法或结果; consider是一般用语,指某人在对具体事情作出决定之前进行更自觉、深度和广度更大、目的性更强的思索; study语气比consider更强些,指某人对某问题进行持久的、有目的的、慎重而细致的研究,根据此项所得的结果作出计划或采取某一行动; weigh指某人在作出决策前把一事物和别的事仔细进行比较,在心中权衡,考虑其利害和全局需要,再选择对其有利的东西。
- weigh, depress, oppress
- 1.weigh在结果或降低的程度上比depress弱,但更侧重困难或负重,常和down, on或upon连用。
- The little girl depressed the button.这个小女孩按下按钮。
- Bad weather depresses me.坏天气使我感到郁闷。
- His defeat in the last cross-country race depressed him.他在上一次越野赛中的失败使他感到沮丧。
- 3.oppress即像weigh一样强调重负,也像 depress一样强调结果。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的wegan，意为称重。