- [C] 墙,壁,围墙 continuous upright solid structure of stone, brick, concrete, etc. used to enclose, divide or protect sth
- vt. 筑墙围住,用墙隔开 surround sth with a wall or walls
- an architectural partition with a height and length greater than its thickness; used to divide or enclose an area or to support another structure;
"the south wall had a small window"
"the walls were covered with pictures"
- anything that suggests a wall in structure or function or effect;
"a wall of water"
"a wall of smoke"
"a wall of prejudice"
"negotiations ran into a brick wall"
- (anatomy) a layer (a lining or membrane) that encloses a structure;
- a difficult or awkward situation;
"his back was to the wall"
"competition was pushing them to the wall"
- a vertical (or almost vertical) smooth rock face (as of a cave or mountain)
- a layer of material that encloses space;
"the walls of the cylinder were perforated"
"the container's walls were blue"
- a masonry fence (as around an estate or garden);
"the wall followed the road"
"he ducked behind the garden wall and waited"
- an embankment built around a space for defensive purposes;
"they stormed the ramparts of the city"
"they blew the trumpet and the walls came tumbling down"
- surround with a wall in order to fortify
- The picture on the wall is crooked.
- The castle walls are very thick.
- I will break down its wall, and it will be trampled.
- We are going to wall the garden.
- I think I might wall off the living room so that we have a separate place to eat.
- I shall wall in and fence out until I really taste the sweets of property.
During the Warring States period, more walls were put up to defend the borders of the different kingdoms.
The wall cuts across our line of vision.
My left hand brushed the wall and found the doorknob.
The explosion caused the walls of the building to fall in.
The ball struck the wall and bounded back to me.
They glided along the wall until they were out of sight.
These doors are made in pieces that can be folded away against the wall.
They burst a hole through the wall.
We had to break through the solid wall to reach the prisoners.
The television was built flush into the wall.
He boiled over when his wife drove their new car into the wall.
The firemen broke down the wall in order to gain quick access to the building on fire.
The ball bounded from the wall.
The picture is attached to the wall by a nail.
The office looked exactly the same as before, only some charts were added to the wall.
The colour of the wall and the colour of the carpet will blend together.
My grandmother used to clean her mats by beating them against the wall of the house.
We were asked to clean down the walls when we left the house that we had been renting.
He colored the walls green.
The building was burnt out and only the walls remained.
These cupboards are built into the walls.
Our neighbours built their walls high.
We had to brace the walls when we put the new roof on.
The city was defended with walls.
He fastened the calendar to a wall.
Our garden is surrounded by a stone wall.
The place was closed in by a wall.
The Great Wall, is actually more than 6000 kilometres long,6—7 metres high and 4—5 metres wide.
He who does not reach the Great Wall is not a true man.
They banded the Berlin Wall in light and dark grey stone.
Wall Street began to empty after midnight.
I should hate to be confined within the four walls of an office all day.
Very big waves dashed over the sea wall at the height of the storm.
When I tried to probe into John's life,I came up against a brick wall.
But she knew the signs of change, she could read the writing on the wall.
Let's put it on the table and don't drive it to the wall.
We're going to wall the garden.
The garden is walled.
- go over the wall
越狱 escape from prison
Those who went over the wall were caught again. 那些越狱逃跑的人又被捉住了。
- 越狱 escape from prison
- go to the wall
被击破,生意做砸了 be defeated; fail in business
The company went to the wall because of that contract. 这个公司因为那个合同生意给做砸了,现在它破产了。
- 被击破,生意做砸了 be defeated; fail in business
- in the wall
在墙上,在墙里 on one of the vertical sides of a building or room
The thief made a hole in the wall. 小偷在墙上挖了一个洞。
Hang your bag on the nail in the wall. 将你的书包挂在墙上的钉子上面。
They have boarded up the hole in the wall. 他们用木板把墙上的洞封起来了。
You'd better block up that hole in the wall; it's letting the cold in. 你最好把墙上那个洞堵住,它把冷气放进来了。
- 在墙上,在墙里 on one of the vertical sides of a building or room
- on the wall
在墙上,在墙的表面上 on the surface of the wall
No scribbling is allowed on the wall. 墙上不许乱写乱涂。
She put up a portrait of Lu Hsun on the wall. 她在墙上挂了一张鲁迅的肖像画。
A little light flashed on the wall. 墙上的一个小灯亮了。
He hung up the map on the wall and collected political cadres and teachers to address them. 他把那张地图挂在墙上,召集政治干部和政治教员来给他们讲话。
- 在墙上,在墙的表面上 on the surface of the wall
- wall off (v.+adv.)
用墙把…隔开 separate (usually an area) by wall wall sth ⇔ off
They walled off the large prison into lots of very small cells.他们把大监狱隔成很多小牢房。用于 be ～ed 结构
This room is walled off from the rest of the house.这个房间和屋里的其他房间隔了开来。
- 用墙把…隔开 separate (usually an area) by wall wall sth ⇔ off
- wall up (v.+adv.)
把…封住,把…关起来 imprison (sb) within a wall of bricks or strong close sth with a wall wall sb/sth ⇔ up
Let's wall the prisoner up in the castle.咱们把这个犯人关在城堡里吧。
I think we should wall up the fireplace.我想应该封住壁炉。用于 be ～ed 结构
Her eyes were walled up by the bandit.她的眼睛被那个匪徒蒙住了。
- 把…封住,把…关起来 imprison (sb) within a wall of bricks or strong close sth with a wall wall sb/sth ⇔ up
- blow up a wall 炸毁一堵墙
- build a wall 修建一堵墙
- climb (over) a wall 爬(过)墙
- crack a wall 使墙破裂
- destroy a wall 毁坏一面墙
- drive sb up the wall 使某人十分烦恼
- erect a wall 修建一堵墙
- get over a wall 翻过墙去
- knock down a wall 推倒一堵墙
- line walls 使沿着墙壁排列
- paint a wall 油漆墙壁
- paper a wall 用纸裱糊墙壁
- plaster a wall 在墙上涂抹灰泥
- point a wall 给一面墙勾缝
- put up a wall 修建一堵墙
- remove a wall 拆除墙
- repair a wall 修理墙壁
- run against a wall 撞在墙上
- run into a wall 撞在墙上
- shore up the wall 用支柱撑住这面墙
- tear down a wall 拆一堵墙
- white-wash a wall 粉刷墙壁
- broken wall 破墙
- clean wall 干净的墙壁
- dirty wall 肮脏的墙壁
- high wall 高墙
- inside wall 内墙
- low wall 低墙
- outside wall 外墙
- supporting wall 支撑墙
- thick wall 厚墙壁
- wooden wall 木栅栏
- wall light 壁灯
- wall around the garden 花园四周的木栅栏
- wall between … 之间的隔膜
- wall between church and state 政教之间的隔阂
- wall of people 人墙
- wall without windows or doors 既没窗户又没门的墙
The Emperor Adrian..made a great wall of earth between England and Scotland.出自：R. Baker
Others from the Wall defend With Dart and Jav'lin.出自：Milton
This flesh which walls about our life.出自：Richard II,Shakespeare
The House of Correction..is not walled, like other prisons.出自：Dickens
A shady..glade, partly walled by..masses of upreared rocks.出自：Z. Grey
- in the wall表示“在墙的里面”; 而on the wall表示“在墙的表面”。
- the Great Wall(长城)是the Great Wall of China(中国长城)的简称。
- wall, cage, coop, enclose, envelop, fence, pen
这组词都可表示“包围”“装入”,其区别是：fence主要指用栅栏拦开或围起来; cage指关在笼子里,有侮辱意味; coop指被关进笼子般的狭小地方,也指受到更加严格的限制; enclose指设置界限或屏障把某人或某物围在其中,也指把某物装进密封的容器; envelop强调把某物体完全包起来或整个封起来; pen指监禁在狭窄的地方或施加令人不快的限制; wall指筑墙围住或关入围有墙壁的地方。例如:After the tiger was caught, it was caged.老虎被捉住后关进了笼子。He was cooped up in a tiny room.他被关进小房间。The little park was enclosed on all sides by tall apartment building.那个小公园的四周被高高的住宅楼围起来了。Smoke from the burning room enveloped the whole building.着火了的那个房间冒出的烟遮蔽了整座大楼。The shepherd has penned up the sheep in the two acre field.牧羊人把羊群围在那块两英亩的土地上。We are going to wall the garden.我们要用围墙把花园围起来。
误 Have you seen the hole on the wall?
正 Have you seen the hole in the wall?
析 表示墙上有洞〔门〕时,要用in the wall,因为洞〔门〕都是在墙里面。如指在墙表面上,则用on the wall。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的welal，意为城墙；最初源自拉丁语的vlalum，意为墙。
- wall:wall n. 墙壁, 围墙, 似墙之物adj. 墙壁的vt. 围以墙 英英解释:名词wall:1. an architectural partition with a height and leng…