- 赃品买卖处，贼市 ，黑货市场
- 搪塞，支吾 ，回避，避免正面答复问题，含糊其词
- [C]栅栏,篱笆; 围墙 a thing like a wall that is made of pieces of wood or mental
- vt. 围以栅栏 surround, divide, provide with a fence or fences
- vt. 束缚 enclose
- vt. & vi. 保护,防御,周旋 protect (sb/sth)
a barrier that serves to enclose an area
a dealer in stolen property
enclose with a fence;
"we fenced in our yard"
receive stolen goods
fight with fencing swords
surround with a wall in order to fortify
have an argument about something
- He tried to see over the fence but it was too high.
- He hired a workman to repair the fence.
- That fence is the limit of the schoolyard.
- The loot had disappeared and been handled by a fence.
- One end of the garden was fenced off for chickens.
- She felt fenced in by domestic routine.
- I should like the chance to fence with a worthier opponent.
- I'll fence with you if you wish.
- It is not manly for you to fence off the consequences of your action.
- Most fences are made of wood or metal.
- How do you get a horse over such a high fence?
- They put a fence around the garden.
- He followed the ball over the fence.
- The boy is getting over the fence.
- The rail exactly filled the gap in the fence.
- The fence along the middle of the road is intended to guard vehicles from crashing into each other.
- She found the entire fence whitewashed.
- I'm not riding the fence on any issue.
- Stop sitting on the fence and say what you really think.
- The girl could fence.
- He fences well, as she had noticed before.
- Farmers fence their fields.
- fence month
禁猎期 a period time that hunting is not permitted
- mend (one's) fences
修复友好关系; 消释前嫌 remove the bad efforts of one's former actions, for example, by becoming friendly with a person one has offended
- fence from (v.+prep.)
为…筑篱笆以阻挡 enclose or surround (sth) with a fence to prevent (sth)
fence sth from sth
They fenced the seedbeds from the north wind.
- fence in (v.+adv.)
包围; 围困,限制 surround or limit (sb/sth)
- fence off (v.+adv.)
挡开,抵挡住,对付 fight against; deal with (sth)
- fence out (v.+adv.)
阻止…进入 keep (usually animals) out with a fence; prevent (sb) from entering a group or activity
fence sb ⇔ out
The sheep keep wandering into the vegetable field so we shall have to fence them out.
We don't want that awkward man on the committee, do what you can to fence him out.
- fence with (v.+prep.)
巧妙地与(某人)进行辩论 argue skillfully with (sb)
fence sth with sth
The farmer fenced his land with wire.
His land is fenced with barbed wire.
他的田地四周围有带刺的铁丝网。fence with sb/sth
I should like the chance to fence with a worthier opponent.
Shall we fence with long or short swords?
我们是用长剑还是用短剑斗?fence with sb
Members of Parliament enjoy fencing with each other on questions which they disagree.
The governor was an expert at fencing with reporters.
- break down a fence 拆除篱笆
- clear a fence 清除篱笆
- jump over the fence 跳过篱笆
- set up fences 设立栅栏
- look after one's fences 整顿自己的地盘
- ride the fence 采取骑墙态度
- rush one's fences 过于匆忙
- throw stones across the fence 将石块扔过篱笆
- enclose ... with a fence 将…围以篱笆
- off the fence 犹豫不决
- on sb's fence 帮助某人
- on the fence 犹豫不决
- fence artfully 巧妙地周旋
- fence cleverly 聪明地周旋
- fence courageously 勇敢地周旋
- fence deftly 巧妙地周旋
- fence expertly 专业地周旋
- fence fascinatingly 迷惑人地周旋
- fence intelligently 聪明地周旋
- fence mentally 理智地周旋
- fence professionally 专业地周旋
- fence skillfully 巧妙地周旋
- fence in 把…用栅栏围起来,围困〔限制〕…
- fence off 把…用栅栏隔开〔拦〕起来,抵挡住〔对付〕…
- fence out 阻止…进入
- fence up 把…围起来
The corrugated iron fence which separated our two gardens.出自： R. Campbell
Lieutenant Smith began to write rapidly, his arm fencing the paper from Turvey's gaze.出自： E. Birney
The houses were formidably fenced off with barbed wire.出自： R. C. Hutchinson
- 在体育用语中, fence可表示“击剑”,用作不及物动词。
- fence, cage, coop, enclose, envelop, pen, wall
- fence主要指用栅栏拦开或围起来; cage指关在笼子里,有侮辱意味; coop指被关进笼子般的狭小地方,也指受到更加严格的限制; enclose指设置界限或屏障把某人或某物围在其中,也指把某物装进密封的容器; envelop强调把某物体完全包起来或整个封起来; pen指监禁在狭窄的地方或施加令人不快的限制; wall指筑墙围住或关入围有墙壁的地方。例如:
- After the tiger was caught, it was caged.老虎被捉住后关进了笼子。
- He was cooped up in a tiny room.他被关进小房间。
- The little park was enclosed on all sides by tall apartment building.那个小公园的四周被高高的住宅楼围起来了。
- Smoke from the burning room enveloped the whole building.着火了的那个房间冒出的烟遮蔽了整座大楼。
- The shepherd has penned up the sheep in the two acre field.牧羊人把羊群围在那块两英亩的土地上。
- We are going to wall the garden.我们要用围墙把花园围起来。
- fence, dodge, duck, malinger, parry, shirk
- 这组词都有“回避”的意思,它们之间的区别是:fence指像击剑者那样“躲避”,强调灵巧和勇气; dodge强调动作迅速或突然变换位置进行“躲闪”,含有策略、机警、聪明的意思; duck指突然地弯腰或好像弯腰那样进行“躲〔回〕避”; malinger指伪装有病或虚弱,以“逃避”职责或艰巨的任务等; parry强调自卫的技能和灵巧; shirk指卑鄙地、胆怯地、鬼祟地去“躲〔回〕避”。例如:
- He was able to dodge so that the man's knife went through his sleeve, wounding him only slightly.他来得及躲开,那人的小刀刺穿他的衣袖,他仅受了点轻伤。
- He saw a policeman coming and ducked behind a car.他看到一个警察向他走来,便闪身躲在一辆汽车后面。
- She says she's got flu, but I think she's malingering.她说她感冒了,但我认为她是在装病逃避工作。
- I parried her question by the best excuses I could offer.我用自己能找到的最好借口回避她的问题。
- He shirked his duty to his family.他逃避家庭的职责。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的fens；最初源自defens，意为起防御作用的装置。