- vt. & vi. 醒,唤醒 stop sleeping; cause sb to stop sleeping
- [C] 航迹,痕迹 a track left by a ship in water
the consequences of an event (especially a catastrophic event);
"the aftermath of war"
"in the wake of the accident no one knew how many had been injured"
an island in the western Pacific between Guam and Hawaii
the wave that spreads behind a boat as it moves forward;
"the motorboat's wake capsized the canoe"
a vigil held over a corpse the night before burial;
"there's no weeping at an Irish wake"
be awake, be alert, be there
"She woke up to the sound of the alarm clock"
arouse or excite feelings and passions;
"The ostentatious way of living of the rich ignites the hatred of the poor"
"The refugees' fate stirred up compassion around the world"
"Wake old feelings of hatred"
make aware of;
"His words woke us to terrible facts of the situation"
cause to become awake or conscious;
"He was roused by the drunken men in the street"
"Please wake me at 6 AM."
- I usually wake up early.
- She spends all her waking hours worrying about her job.
- The incident woke memories of his past sufferings.
- Only you, can wake up Snow White!
- The bad news finally woke the country to the danger of war.
- We must wake up to the possibility of a war between the two nations.
- I wish I could wake her up to the danger she is in.
- We just saw the foaming white wake of the liner.
- They discovered a new pulsar wake.
- There's no weeping at an irish wake.
- Once in the night I woke and heard the wind blowing.
- I'll wake until your return.
- When I woke the sun was shining into the room.
- I woke early.
- He was too exhausted to wake easily.
- Has the patient waked yet?
- I woke at dawn.
- I usually wake at six.
- The flowers wake in spring.
- I woke suddenly with a start.
- At the sight of the enemy, the citizens' anger woke.
- The scene suddenly woke into life.
- The child woke three times during the night.
- He woke to find himself in the hospital.
- He woke to find that it was snowing.
- I woke to find the house on fire.
- Please wake me at seven.
- Don't make a noise or else you'll wake the baby.
- At daybreak, the mother came and woke both children.
- The lonely child woke our pity.
- The incident woke memories of the war years.
- The music waked sad memories.
- Spring wakes all nature.
- His echoing cry woke the mountain valley.
- The insult waked his dull spirit.
- I was waked by the sound.
- What time do you want to be waked?
- Waking or sleeping,I think of you.
- The noise kept me waking all night.
- This kept me waking.
- When the ship sailed, the foaming white wake of the liner was left.
- wake from (v.+prep.)
(使)醒来 (cause to) become conscious again after sleep
wake from sth
It takes me a long time to wake from my night's sleep.
In spring nature wakes from her long winter sleep.
在春天,大自然从长长的冬眠中苏醒过来。wake sb from sth
Why did you wake me from such a beautiful dream?
- wake to (v.+prep.)
(使)开始认识到 (cause to) begin to realize
wake to sth
Do you like waking to the sound of a radio?
On the morning of New Year's Day, people woke to the sound of firecrackers.
I woke to bright sunlight filling my room, it was already midday.
我醒来时发现明亮的阳光已充满了房间,已经是中午了。wake to sth
He did not wake to the danger until he discovered that he was surrounded on all sides by the enemy.
直到发现被敌人四面包围,他才意识到自己处境十分危险。wake sb to sth
We must wake the people to the dangers facing our country.
- wake up (v.+adv.)
活跃起来; 激起,引起 become stirred from an inactive state; stir; excite
What time did you wake up this morning?
I wake up at the same time every morning without having to use an alarm clock.
She had to wake up several times a night when their baby was ill.
He drowsed off, but then woke up abruptly, as though someone had called his name.
When he woke up, the sea had become calm again.
Bears wake up in the spring after a winter of hibernation.
More and more oppressed people are waking up.
We must give the men who have committed errors ample opportunity to wake up.
It's time for you to wake up and attend to your business.
该是你奋发立业的时候了。wake sb ⇔ up
On Sundays she usually wakes up her children a little later than usual.
Why don't you try to sleep?I'll wake you up for the medicine.
Wake the children up,Betty. It's time for them to go to school.
Be quiet, your father's asleep, don't wake him up.
A clap of thunder last night woke everybody up, and then rain poured down.
The noise woke the guests up.
I was suddenly woken up by the alarm clock at 3 a.m.,I knew it was my little brother's practical joke again.
凌晨三点钟,我忽然被闹钟惊醒,我知道这又是我的小弟弟的恶作剧。wake sb ⇔ up
The author used three exclamatory marks at the end of the last sentence to wake up the readers.
I wish she'd wake up! She's so naive!
These rich kids should wake up and see the problems they have on their hands.
这些富家子弟该清醒过来了,也该意识到他们自己面临的问题。wake sb ⇔ up
The incident woke the leaders up.
这次事件使得领导人醒悟。wake up that-clause
More and more people are waking up that knowledge is important.
On holidays the little town wakes up.
You'll have to wake up if you wish to succeed.
如果你想获得成功,你就必须振作起来。wake sb ⇔ up
The art course stimulated me, woke me up.
He needs someone to wake him up.
She needs some interest to wake her up.
- wake up to (v.+adv.+prep.)
(使)认识到 (cause sb to) aware of a problem, situation, etc.
wake sb ⇔ up to sth
I wish I could wake her up to the danger she is in.
If only we could wake them up to the dangers of the situation.
我们要是能使他们认识到形势的危险就好了。wake up to oneself/sth
It is time I woke up to myself.I've wasted too much time fooling around, and I almost ruined my career.
They should wake up to the problems they've got on their hands.
We must wake up to the gravity of the situation.
They should wake up to the danger they are in.
Only then did the other men wake up to his presence.
The whole society should wake up to the fact that the emerging global network of computers is going to shape the future of the world.
- in the/one's wake (of)
由于,作为…的结果 owning to; thanks to; as the result of
- wake all nature 使大自然复苏
- wake echoes 引起回响
- wake feeling of sympathy 唤起同情
- wake memories of one's school days 引起求学时的回忆
- wake sb's dull spirit 激起忧郁精神
- wake sb's interest 引起某人的兴趣
- wake sb's pity 唤起怜悯之心
- wake at dawn 拂晓醒来
- wake from sleep 从睡梦中醒来
- wake into life 活跃起来
- wake sb to sth 唤醒某人使觉悟到
- wake with a start 惊醒
- wake with the dawn 黎明时醒来
- broad white wake 白茫茫的尾波
- in the wake 在身后留下〔跟着〕
The long white wake that the ship made in the dark water.出自： A. Geras
I must have waked at six o'clock, that morning.出自： J. Barth
I feel like I'm dreaming and I never want to wake up.出自： C. Brayfield
- wake既可用作及物动词,也可用作不及物动词。用作及物动词时,可接名词或代词作宾语; 用作不及物动词时,可表示自发醒来或处于醒的某种状态,接不定式作状语时,表示“醒来(发现、看出、听到)…”。
- wake, awake, awaken, waken
- 1.wake是最常用词,也是最不正式的用语, awake则比wake正式些。如指“醒来”“使醒”,最好用wake。
- 2.waken和awaken常用作及物动词,多用于书面和被动语态中,表示“被唤醒”。awaken和awake多用于比喻说法,表示“觉醒; 提醒”“开始意识到”等意思。
- 4.以-en结尾的两个词只用作动词, awake除用作动词外还可用作形容词, wake还可用作名词。
- wake up, waken up
- 这组短语的共同意思是“弄醒”。waken up一般用于比较正式的文体中; 而wake up一般用在普通文件和日常用语中。
误 My mother often wakes up me in the early morning.
正 My mother often wakes me up in the early morning.
析 wake up作“把某人叫醒”解时up是副词,用作其宾语的代词通常需放在动词与小品词之间。去看看孩子,他已经醒了很长时间了。
误 Go and see the baby.He has waken up for some time.
正 Go and see the baby.He has been awake for some time.
析 wake up作“醒来”解时表示瞬间动作,不能和表示“一段时间”的时间状语连用。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的wacian，意为醒来。