- 那,那个 a word that is used to talk about a person or thing that is there or then
- 那,那个 which, who or whom
- What is the difference between this and that?
- I walked to the gate that opened towards the lake.
- The output of steel this year has increased by 20% compared with that in 1992.
- I am well aware that this is a tough job.
- He claimed that the newspaper report was a libel.
- That she is still alive is really a relief to us all.
- That book isn't mine. I guess it belongs to Mike.
- That girl frequents my dreams--I think she is just the one for me.
- He once lived in a small village. That village is surrounded by high mountains.
- You needn't take what he said that seriously.
- Life isn't that bad if you just believe in its beauties.
Don't tangle that group of rough boys.
At that time he was very busy.
The owner made a dive for the rejected clothing and began to snatch it this way and that.
Who is that?
The price of tin is higher than that of copper.
After that, he left.
That's what he told me.
I am interested in all that you have told me.
Everything that a computer does is dependent on the man who uses it.
The first thing that I want to do now is to have a drink.
It was the largest map that I ever saw.
May I meet the lady that dances so gracefully?
We were deeply impressed by the teachers and the schools that we had visited there.
It was on Tuesday that she came.
I bought the car, that I had once so much wanted.
Did you get the books that I sent you?
There is the man that I was telling you about .
Is this the pen (that) you were looking for?
He is not the bookworm (that) he used to be.
He operated the machine in the way (that) I taught him.
I shall remember the day (that) we met the first time.
The reason (that) he was hired was that he worked harder than the others.
That's the place (that) I stayed when I was a child.
What was that which he gave you?
It's the best that you should work hard.
I strongly believe that he is innocent.
They heard the news on the radio yesterday that a typhoon was coming.
They set off half an hour earlier that they might get there in time.
She said (that) she would soon return to England.
I'm glad (that) he's got the job.
It's obvious (that) they're happy together.
He operated the machine in a way (that) I aught him.
It was such a lovely day (that) we decided to go for a picnic.
Oh that I could fly!
That I should see a child of mine arrested for selling drugs!
- at that
而且,因此as well; whereupon
The food was excellent, and cheap at that. 饭菜很好而且很便宜。
So we can let it go at that. 因此我们可以就这样了。
- 而且,因此as well; whereupon
- for all that
尽管如此in spite of this
He has many faults, but for all that I like him. 他有许多缺点,尽管如此,我仍喜欢他。
- 尽管如此in spite of this
- in that
His request is unreasonable in that he knows we can't afford it. 他的要求是不合理的,因为他知道我们负担不起。
- 因为because; since
- that is (to say)
We're leaving on 2 March, that is,Friday. 我们预计三月二日,即星期五动身。
I pointed out several mistakes and carefully repeated my original instruction; that is to say,I told him I was not at all pleased with his work. 我指出几处错误并仔细地重复我原来提出的注意事项,换句话说,对他的工作我一点也不满意。
- 就是,即,换句话说which means
- that's that
就这样吧,就这么定了that is the end of the matter; that settles the matter
You can't go, and that's that. 你不能去,就这样。
- 就这样吧,就这么定了that is the end of the matter; that settles the matter
- that is就是说
- that's that就这样
- at that而且
- like that那一类的(那样的...
- that is to say也就是
- in that因为，由于，既然...
- all that到那种程度
- Not that I know of.据我所知并非如此。...
- except that除了 ... 之外...
- but that不过（接在否定句之后...
- not that并不是说
- that far那么远,到那里为止...
- put that and that together根据现有事实得出结论...
- and all thatand that:等等
- for all that虽然如此
- All's well that ends well.结果好，就一切都好。...
- Handsome is that handsome does.行为漂亮才漂亮。...
- He that will thrive must rise at five.五点起床，百事兴旺。...
- It's dogged that does it.世上无难事只怕有心人...
None of these thises and thats..are the 'loved one.'sss sssBrowning出自：R. Harries
A sweet voice that.出自：Tennyson
Nice to have a young fellow like that around.出自：W. S. Maugham
Beautysisn't that enough?出自：V. Woolf
He laughed. 'That's my girl. That's better.'出自：M. Duke
Why would you want to..do a thing like that?出自：M. Amis
- that还常用以代替who, whom, which,但that...which中的that用做关系代词的先行词。
- that用作关系代词时在下列情况下可以省略:①引导限制性定语从句在从句中用作宾语时; ②用在there be结构前作主语时; ③用作表语时; ④在定语从句与先行词之间有插入语时; ⑤在先行词way, reason, distance, place, office等作方式状语、原因状语或地点状语时。
- that也可用作副词,是一种非正式的用法,近年来在口语中用得越来越普遍,意思是“那么,那样”“到那种程度”,相当于so或to such a degree,多用在疑问句或否定句中。例如:Can hard work change a person that much?辛苦的工作能使人变化那么大吗?I was that hungry I could have eaten a horse.我那时是那么饿,我很可能吃掉一匹马。
- that, which
that和which都可引导定语从句,但以下情况引导定语从句的关系代词只能用that不能用which:1.当先行词是all, everything, nothing, anything, little等不定代词,或被first, last, only, few, much, some, any, no等词修饰时,应该用关系代词that,不用which。2.当先行词为形容词最高级所修饰时,关系代词用that不用which。3.当并列的两个先行词分别表示人和物时,要用关系代词that而不用which。4.在强调句型“It is〔was〕...that〔who〕...”中,只能用that,不能用which。5.同位语从句除了用whether, what, why等引导外,通常还用that引导,但不用which。6.当定语从句由介词加上关系代词来引导时,该关系代词代替的是物而不是人时,不能用that,只能用which。7.非限制性定语从句所修饰的是物或是整个主句时,关系代词用which,不用that。
- that, who
用作关系代词时两者均可指人,一般可互换,但以下几点需注意:1.all, nobody, no one, somebody, someone, anybody等词之后用who和that均可,但用that较常见。2.在序数词、形容词最高级以及the only, the same等词之后用who和that均可,但用that较常见。3.当先行词是一个既指人又指物的并列词组时通常要用that。4.当先行词是who时通常要用that。5.在正式文体中,用作关系代词的who可以用于人称代词he, she之后。
- ☆ 直接源自原始日耳曼语的that；最初源自原始印欧语的tod或atd，意为那。
- adj. & pron. this
- that:that adj. 那, 那个pron. 那, 那个conj. 引导从句…