- [U] 说话,言谈; 言语; 说话能力 the act or power of speaking; spoken language
- [U] 说话方式 the way of speaking of a person or group
- [C] 演说,演讲; 讲话 an act of speaking formally to a group of listeners
- the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience;
"he listened to an address on minor Roman poets"
- (language) communication by word of mouth;
"his speech was garbled"
"he uttered harsh language"
"he recorded the spoken language of the streets"
- something spoken;
"he could hear them uttering merry speeches"
- the exchange of spoken words;
"they were perfectly comfortable together without speech"
- your characteristic style or manner of expressing yourself orally;
"his manner of speaking was quite abrupt"
"her speech was barren of southernisms"
"I detected a slight accent in his speech"
- a lengthy rebuke;
"a good lecture was my father's idea of discipline"
"the teacher gave him a talking to"
- words making up the dialogue of a play;
"the actor forgot his speech"
- the mental faculty or power of vocal communication;
"language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
- The mayor made a speech at the opening.
- The speaker will soon wind up his speech.
- I had to give a speech to the press club.
- He closed his speech with a funny joke.
- We express our thoughts by speech.
- Only human beings are capable of speech.
He lost his power of speech.
Only human beings possess the faculty of speech.
Fear robbed him of speech.
Reading good books helps to refine one's speech.
Language is speech, writing is merely a device for recording speech.
The speech of the islanders is hard to understand.
The native speech of Guangdong is still popular among Chinese Americans in China Town.
By her speech, we can tell that she is from Shanghai.
I think young people are sometimes disrespectful in their speech.
His indistinct speech makes it impossible to understand him.
He can express himself better in speech than in writing.
In his campaign speech he blasted the Opposition.
His speech was so long; it should have been pruned.
His public speeches were permeated with hatred of injustice.
The opposition speaker made a lively speech, pitching into the government for its ineffective actions.
He spiced his speech with stories and jokes.
I'm preparing a speech for the meeting on Thursday.
The dinner and speeches occupied more than three hours.
The mayor recited to the Queen a long and tedious speech of welcome.
I missed the first part of the speech.
I can't understand his speech on how we can conquer ourselves.
It was unwise in your speech to refer to rising unemployment.
He has abstracted the speech.
He broke down in the middle of his speech.
I was abruptly notified that a half-hour speech was expected of me.
Our representative was called upon to make a speech.
Angry cries met his speech.
He pitched his speech so that even the children could understand.
We have the records of all their speeches.
Their concern is manifested mainly in fine speeches, rather than in practical solutions.
I had to give a speech to the Press Club.
The radio station agreed to beam the Minister's speech to the whole Europe.
- find one's speech
说出话 speak word
The girl felt so embarrassed at the beginning of the interview that she could not find her speech. 那位姑娘在采访开始时拘束得说不出话来。
After a brief hesitation, he found his speech and argued his wife around. 犹豫片刻之后,他找到话题说服妻子改变了看法。
- 说出话 speak word
- address a speech to sb 给某人作报告
- close a speech 结束讲话
- deliver a speech 发表演讲
- find one's speech 说得出话
- improvise a speech 即席演说
- learn speech 学说话
- lose one's speech 说不出话
- make a speech 发表演说
- prepare a speech 准备演说
- record a speech 把讲话录下来
- recover speech 恢复说话能力
- understand sb's speech 听懂某人的话
- wander in speech 演说时东拉西扯
- after-dinner speech 餐后演讲
- clear speech 说话清楚
- concluding speech 闭幕词,结束演说
- educated speech 有教养的谈吐
- free speech 言论自由
- general speech 一般的讲话
- long speech 长篇演说
- open speech 公开演说
- opening speech 开幕词
- ordinary speech 日常说话
- political speech 政治演说
- powerful speech 有影响力的演讲
- set speech 经过准备的演说
- short speech 简短的发言
- welcoming speech 欢迎辞
- common speech 共同语言
- direct speech 直接引语
- everyday speech 日常用语
- human speech 人类言语
- indirect speech 间接引语
- musical speech 音乐语言
- national speech 民族语言
- popular speech 大众语言
- reported speech 间接引语
- the native speech 本族语
- acceptance speech 〈美〉总统候选人接受政党提名时所作的演讲
- answering speech 答词
- campaign speech 竞选演说
- curtain speech (剧作者,演员或演出人的)谢幕词
- farewell speech 告别词
- radio speech 广播讲话
Speech, even more than reason, distinguishes man from the brute.出自：H. Reed
I wanted to shout..but I seemed incapable of speech.出自：J. Marquand
A swelling in his throat..had begun to affect his power of speech.出自：G. Daly
- speech的基本意思是“说话,说话能力”,指人的一种语言的能力。speech也可作“说话方式”解,指人们为了表达自己的某一意图而采取的一种表达方式,作以上两义解时, speech是不可数名词。
- speech还可作“演说,演讲; 讲话”解,通常指在公共场合为群众所作的讲话,强调影响、教育或娱乐群众。这种讲话可以是有准备的或措词庄重的,可以是正式的或是非正式的,有时还可指讲话或讲话稿的风格。作此解时speech是可数名词。
- speech, address, lecture, oration, report, talk
1.在这组词中, address, speech, talk, oration四个词是同义词, lecture和report的词义与其他四个词的词义差异较大。①lecture指学术性的“专题讲演”,尤指大学教师讲课,引申义为“教训”。例如：Professor Black will give us a lecture on English literature tomorrow afternoon.布莱克教授明天下午将给我们做关于英国文学的演讲。His mother gave him a lecture for getting up late.他妈妈因为他睡懒觉而训斥了他一顿。注意这六个词中只有lecture不可与make连用。②report指下级对上级或委托机关的“报告”,比汉语中“报告”的外延小得多。例如：The manager had just given the company's annual report.经理刚做了公司的年度报告。2.address, speech, talk, oration四个词的共同含义是“当众讲话”。其区别是：①speech和talk是普通用语, address和oration是正式用语。②address和oration用于正式隆重的场合,经过充分准备,听众较多,篇幅较长。这两者中, oration比address更正式,更隆重,人更多,篇幅更长。例如：The minister's address will be broadcast at 8 o'clock.部长的讲话将于8时广播。Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was an oration.林肯的盖茨堡讲演是一篇雄辩有力的演说辞。这两个词含义上的区别是：address强调演说人的身份或地位高,而oration则强调演说人口才好,演说有煽动性,雄辩有力,词藻华丽。③speech和talk的区别是：speech多用于正式场合,也可用于非正式场合; 而talk多用于非正式场合,也可用于正式场合。speech一般是经过准备的也可不经过准备; 而talk一般是不经过准备的。speech的措辞一般是庄重的; 而talk是较为随便的,讲话方式也较自由,甚至也可以是对话。例如：Please tell us what you think in a few simple words, we don't want a speech.请用简短的话说明你的意思,不要演说。We enjoy freedom of speech.我们有言论自由。We had a long talk about it.关于此事,我们作了一次长谈。He gave us a very interesting talk on Yugoslavia.他给我们作了一场饶有兴趣的关于南斯拉夫的报告。④speech除作“讲演”解之外,还有“讲稿”“讲演风格”的含义,而另外三个词无此含义。例如：His speech was sent to the newspaper in advance.他的讲话稿事先就送报社去了。Her speech is informal and filled with colloquialisms.她的讲话常是非正式的,很口语化。
- The teacher is going to have speech with the student who played truant.
- The teacher is going to have a word with the student who played truant.
- address speech lecture oration report talk
误 He always has trouble with his the speech when there are girls around.
正 He always has trouble with his speech when there are girls around.
析 当表示“言语”“说话(能力)”时, speech为抽象名词,不可数,前面不加任何冠词。
- speech:speech n. 演说, 讲话语音习惯用语deliver [make] a speech 演说find one's speech 能说话, 说得出话free speech 言论自由give spee…