- [U] 说话,言谈; 言语; 说话能力 the act or power of speaking; spoken language
- [U] 说话方式 the way of speaking of a person or group
- [C] 演说,演讲; 讲话 an act of speaking formally to a group of listeners
the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience;
"he listened to an address on minor Roman poets"
(language) communication by word of mouth;
"his speech was garbled"
"he uttered harsh language"
"he recorded the spoken language of the streets"
"he could hear them uttering merry speeches"
the exchange of spoken words;
"they were perfectly comfortable together without speech"
your characteristic style or manner of expressing yourself orally;
"his manner of speaking was quite abrupt"
"her speech was barren of southernisms"
"I detected a slight accent in his speech"
a lengthy rebuke;
"a good lecture was my father's idea of discipline"
"the teacher gave him a talking to"
words making up the dialogue of a play;
"the actor forgot his speech"
the mental faculty or power of vocal communication;
"language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
- The mayor made a speech at the opening.
- The speaker will soon wind up his speech.
- I had to give a speech to the press club.
- He closed his speech with a funny joke.
- We express our thoughts by speech.
- He had lost the power of speech.
- Only human beings are capable of speech.
- He lost his power of speech.
- Only human beings possess the faculty of speech.
- Fear robbed him of speech.
- Reading good books helps to refine one's speech.
- Language is speech, writing is merely a device for recording speech.
- The speech of the islanders is hard to understand.
- The native speech of Guangdong is still popular among Chinese Americans in China Town.
- By her speech, we can tell that she is from Shanghai.
- I think young people are sometimes disrespectful in their speech.
- His indistinct speech makes it impossible to understand him.
- He can express himself better in speech than in writing.
- In his campaign speech he blasted the Opposition.
- His speech was so long; it should have been pruned.
- His public speeches were permeated with hatred of injustice.
- The opposition speaker made a lively speech, pitching into the government for its ineffective actions.
- He spiced his speech with stories and jokes.
- I'm preparing a speech for the meeting on Thursday.
- The dinner and speeches occupied more than three hours.
- The mayor recited to the Queen a long and tedious speech of welcome.
- I missed the first part of the speech.
- I can't understand his speech on how we can conquer ourselves.
- It was unwise in your speech to refer to rising unemployment.
- He has abstracted the speech.
- He broke down in the middle of his speech.
- I was abruptly notified that a half-hour speech was expected of me.
- Our representative was called upon to make a speech.
- Angry cries met his speech.
- He pitched his speech so that even the children could understand.
- We have the records of all their speeches.
- Their concern is manifested mainly in fine speeches, rather than in practical solutions.
- I had to give a speech to the Press Club.
- The radio station agreed to beam the Minister's speech to the whole Europe.
- find one's speech
说出话 speak word
- address a speech to sb 给某人作报告
- close a speech 结束讲话
- deliver a speech 发表演讲
- find one's speech 说得出话
- improvise a speech 即席演说
- learn speech 学说话
- lose one's speech 说不出话
- make a speech 发表演说
- prepare a speech 准备演说
- record a speech 把讲话录下来
- recover speech 恢复说话能力
- understand sb's speech 听懂某人的话
- wander in speech 演说时东拉西扯
- after-dinner speech 餐后演讲
- clear speech 说话清楚
- concluding speech 闭幕词,结束演说
- educated speech 有教养的谈吐
- free speech 言论自由
- general speech 一般的讲话
- long speech 长篇演说
- open speech 公开演说
- opening speech 开幕词
- ordinary speech 日常说话
- political speech 政治演说
- powerful speech 有影响力的演讲
- set speech 经过准备的演说
- short speech 简短的发言
- welcoming speech 欢迎辞
- common speech 共同语言
- direct speech 直接引语
- everyday speech 日常用语
- human speech 人类言语
- indirect speech 间接引语
- musical speech 音乐语言
- national speech 民族语言
- popular speech 大众语言
- reported speech 间接引语
- the native speech 本族语
- acceptance speech 〈美〉总统候选人接受政党提名时所作的演讲
- answering speech 答词
- campaign speech 竞选演说
- curtain speech (剧作者,演员或演出人的)谢幕词
- farewell speech 告别词
- radio speech 广播讲话
Speech, even more than reason, distinguishes man from the brute.出自： H. Reed
I wanted to shout..but I seemed incapable of speech.出自： J. Marquand
A swelling in his throat..had begun to affect his power of speech.出自： G. Daly
- speech的基本意思是“说话,说话能力”,指人的一种语言的能力。speech也可作“说话方式”解,指人们为了表达自己的某一意图而采取的一种表达方式,作以上两义解时, speech是不可数名词。
- speech还可作“演说,演讲; 讲话”解,通常指在公共场合为群众所作的讲话,强调影响、教育或娱乐群众。这种讲话可以是有准备的或措词庄重的,可以是正式的或是非正式的,有时还可指讲话或讲话稿的风格。作此解时speech是可数名词。
- speech, address, lecture, oration, report, talk
- 1.在这组词中, address, speech, talk, oration四个词是同义词, lecture和report的词义与其他四个词的词义差异较大。
- Professor Black will give us a lecture on English literature tomorrow afternoon.布莱克教授明天下午将给我们做关于英国文学的演讲。
- His mother gave him a lecture for getting up late.他妈妈因为他睡懒觉而训斥了他一顿。
- The manager had just given the company's annual report.经理刚做了公司的年度报告。
- 2.address, speech, talk, oration四个词的共同含义是“当众讲话”。其区别是：
- ①speech和talk是普通用语, address和oration是正式用语。
- ②address和oration用于正式隆重的场合,经过充分准备,听众较多,篇幅较长。这两者中, oration比address更正式,更隆重,人更多,篇幅更长。例如：
- The minister's address will be broadcast at 8 o'clock.部长的讲话将于8时广播。
- Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was an oration.林肯的盖茨堡讲演是一篇雄辩有力的演说辞。
- ③speech和talk的区别是：speech多用于正式场合,也可用于非正式场合; 而talk多用于非正式场合,也可用于正式场合。speech一般是经过准备的也可不经过准备; 而talk一般是不经过准备的。speech的措辞一般是庄重的; 而talk是较为随便的,讲话方式也较自由,甚至也可以是对话。例如：
- Please tell us what you think in a few simple words, we don't want a speech.请用简短的话说明你的意思,不要演说。
- We enjoy freedom of speech.我们有言论自由。
- We had a long talk about it.关于此事,我们作了一次长谈。
- He gave us a very interesting talk on Yugoslavia.他给我们作了一场饶有兴趣的关于南斯拉夫的报告。
- His speech was sent to the newspaper in advance.他的讲话稿事先就送报社去了。
- Her speech is informal and filled with colloquialisms.她的讲话常是非正式的,很口语化。
- The teacher is going to have speech with the student who played truant.
- The teacher is going to have a word with the student who played truant.
误 He always has trouble with his the speech when there are girls around.
正 He always has trouble with his speech when there are girls around.
析 当表示“言语”“说话(能力)”时, speech为抽象名词,不可数,前面不加任何冠词。