- vi. 咒骂 use obscene words to insult, or for emphasis
- vt. & vi. 发誓 say solemnly or emphatically; cause sb to take an oath
utter obscenities or profanities;
"The drunken men were cursing loudly in the street"
to declare or affirm solemnly and formally as true;
"Before God I swear I am innocent"
promise solemnly; take an oath
make a deposition; declare under oath
have confidence or faith in;
"We can trust in God"
"Rely on your friends"
"bank on your good education"
"I swear by my grandmother's recipes"
- Shut up! How dare you swear at me like that!
- You have no right to swear at me like that!
- I swear by Almighty God that I will tell the truth.
- They swore an oath to carry out their duties faithfully.
- I swear I won't tell anyone your secret.
- The witnesses must swear before speaking.
- Don't forget your swear for me.
- Say that again,but this time leave out the swear words.
- I can have swear ( that ) I saw a flying saucer over the sky !
- He is always swearing.
- Stop swearing; it is a bad habit.
- Colonel Race swore hastily.
- The man swore when the hammer hit his thumb.
- Before giving evidence you have to swear an oath.
- He swore an oath to carry out his duties faithfully.
- He swore to abide by this principle.
- Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
- He swore never to divulge the secret.
- He swore that he could tell the truth.
- I swear that I will never tell anyone.
- I could have sworn that there was somebody in the next room.
- The musician swore that he would never write a single note for that gang.
- I swear he's a swindler.
- She swore herself hoarse.
- swear at (v.+prep.)
咒骂(某人),诅咒(某事) speak curses to (sb or sth)
swear at sb/v-ing
His boss often swore at him, sometimes for no reason at all.
The foreman swore at his workers.
Glen leant out of the car window and swore at another driver.
He could hear them shouting and swearing at each other.
Why did you swear at missing the bus?
He resented being sworn at.
- swear by (v.+prep.)
〈非正〉信赖〔担保〕… have trust in, and tell others of the value of (a product)〔说明〕 swear by常不用于进行体。
- swear for (v.+prep.)
为…作保证 promise that (sth or someone) is trustworthy
swear for sth
His friends will swear for his integrity.
All of us will swear for his honesty.
I could call many people to swear for this method.
- swear in (v.+adv.)
(使)宣誓就职 cause (someone) to take a solemn promise to perform duties responsibly at the beginning of a period of office
swear sb ⇔ in
At the inauguration, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court swore in the new President.
He was sworn in shortly after the election.
- swear off (v.+prep.)
发誓戒除 state one's intention to stop (sth or doing sth)
swear off sth/v-ing
I've sworn off drugs.
He swore off smoking when the doctor said it caused lung cancers.
- swear on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
凭…发誓 make a solemn promise using (sth holy) as a sign of one's trustworthiness
swear on〔upon〕 sth
I swear on the head of my son here that I made no threat to the king.
The witness is asked to swear upon the Bible that he will tell the truth.
- swear to (v.+prep.)
使(某人)发誓保密 make sb promise to keep a secret
swear to sth/v-ing
I think it was him I saw, but I couldn't swear to it.
I couldn't swear to having seen him.
He swore to having seen that movie before.
他说他以前肯定看过那场电影。swear sb to sth
His friends swore him to integrity.
他的朋友们担保说他为人廉正。swear sb to secrecy
They swore him to secrecy.
- swear abominably 令人厌恶地咒骂
- swear audibly 故意让人听见地咒骂
- swear ferociously 凶恶地咒骂
- swear fiercely 残忍地咒骂
- swear hastily 急躁地骂
- swear loudly 大声地咒骂
- swear roundly 狠狠地咒骂
- swear solemnly 庄严宣誓
- swear vigorously 强有力地咒骂
- swear away 骂走
- swear in 使宣誓就职
- swear out 通过发誓而获得
- swear against 起誓证实…,反对…
- swear at 骂,诅咒,与…不协调
- swear by 极其相信…
- swear by this pill 相信这种药丸有效
- swear for 保证,担保
- swear for sb's honesty 担保某人是诚实的
- swear sb into office 主持某人宣誓就职
- swear like a trooper 用粗言秽语破口大骂
- swear on the Bible 把手搁在《圣经》上发誓
- swear to 郑重地证实,使发誓…,向…宣誓
- swear to secrecy 发誓保守秘密
- swear to the truth of a statement 郑重地证实某一陈述的真实性
I should be forced to quit, if I did not swear.出自： T. Hearne
They had sworn, by the sacred head of the emperor.出自： Gibbon
And on the book..Miriam swore.出自： Tennyson
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的swerian，意为宣誓。