- 突然的,忽然的,迅速而意外的 happening, coming or done quickly and unexpectedly
happening without warning or in a short space of time;
"a sudden storm"
"a sudden decision"
"a sudden cure"
- His sudden death upset everybody.
- A sudden smile illuminated her face.
- She was dazzled by her sudden success.
- He gave me a fright by bursting into a sudden laughter.
- Their sudden attack made us more aware of the danger around us.
- His rise to power was very sudden.
- The boy began crying all of a sudden.
- We were struck dumb by her sudden outburst of anger.
- The sudden arrival of guests forced her to change her plans.
- He made a sudden stop.
- He requested their sudden help.
- Our clothes were saturated with the sudden heavy rain.
- We scrambled for cover against the sudden rain.
- A sudden wind swept a pile of leaves in.
- The birds were scared by the sudden barking of a dog.
- We were shattered to hear of her sudden death.
- Her sudden death upset everybody.
- He felt a sudden sharp pain in his heart.
- He was seized with sudden chest pains.
- He was seized with a sudden desire to leave the place.
- She was seized with a sudden desire to laugh, at a most unsuitable moment in the performance.
- Your marriage was sudden.Have you thought things over properly?
- This marriage is very sudden—they've only known each other a few weeks.
- He was sudden in his actions.
- The boy is sudden in eating.
- all of a sudden〔on a sudden〕
The sudden appearance made me start.出自： J. Buchan
On a sudden impulse, he locked a master in a classroom.出自： A. Thwaite
With a sudden switch of subject she enquired what had taken him to Perpignan.出自： S. Hood
A fashionable London fop caught by the sudden downpour.出自： R. Alter
- all of a sudden的意思是“突然地,出乎意料地”,常用于口语中。也常用on a sudden,意思与all of a sudden相同,但不如all of a sudden正式或常见。
- sudden, fast, hasty, quick, rapid, swift
- 1.quick指运动动作发生或完成的迅速、敏捷,强调的是单一动作的突然性或短暂性,也指才智和反应的敏捷和灵敏; swift意为“快”或“突然发生”,所指的运动速度最高,同时强调运动的平稳潇洒和轻捷、不费力气等,有时带文学色彩,为较正式的用语; fast多指运动的物体,位置移动的迅速,强调物体运动的方式; rapid是正式用语,多指运动本身,强调运动的高速度,所指的速度有时有“对人有益”的含义,常常可与fast互换使用,但语气比fast强; hasty指“草率,匆忙”; sudden则指“突然”。
- 2.swift, fast和rapid一般都指运动的速度,通常动作都有持续性和连续性。hasty一般都不指运动的速度。例如:
- He gave me a quick response to my question.他对我的问题给出了迅速的回答。
- The swift fading of autumn into winter.秋色迅速退去,随而进入冬天。
- The fast train was exchanged for a local one.快车被换成了慢车。
- He made such rapid progress that his parents were very glad.他取得了如此快的进步,以至于他的父母都很高兴。
- She's too hasty—if she would only think before speaking she wouldn't have so much trouble.她太性急了,要是她讲话之前多考虑一下,就不会有那么多麻烦了。
- A sudden clap of thunder woke me.一阵突然的雷声把我惊醒了。
- ☆ 14世纪初期进入英语，直接源自古法语的sodain，意为立即的；最初源自拉丁语的subitaneus，意为突然的。