- n. 【U】石料
- n. 【C】石头；宝石；(水果的)硬核
- n. 英石(重量单位；合14磅)
- vt. 向 ... 扔石头；去掉(水果的)核
- 用石头铺， 用石头砌
- [C] 石头,石块,石子 a piece of rock, especially not very large, either of natural shape or cut out specially for building
- [U] 矿石,石料 solid mineral material, a type of rock
- [C] 宝石 jewel or gem
a lump or mass of hard consolidated mineral matter;
"he threw a rock at me"
building material consisting of a piece of rock hewn in a definite shape for a special purpose;
"he wanted a special stone to mark the site"
material consisting of the aggregate of minerals like those making up the Earth's crust;
"that mountain is solid rock"
"stone is abundant in New England and there are many quarries"
a crystalline rock that can be cut and polished for jewelry;
"he had the gem set in a ring for his wife"
"she had jewels made of all the rarest stones"
an avoirdupois unit used to measure the weight of a human body; equal to 14 pounds;
"a heavy chap who must have weighed more than twenty stone"
the hard inner (usually woody) layer of the pericarp of some fruits (as peaches or plums or cherries or olives) that contains the seed;
"you should remove the stones from prunes before cooking"
United States jurist who was named chief justice of the United States Supreme Court in 1941 by Franklin D. Roosevelt (1872-1946)
United States filmmaker (born in 1946)
United States feminist and suffragist (1818-1893)
United States journalist who advocated liberal causes (1907-1989)
United States jurist who served on the United States Supreme Court as chief justice (1872-1946)
United States architect (1902-1978)
a lack of feeling or expression or movement;
"he must have a heart of stone"
"her face was as hard as stone"
of any of various dull tannish or grey colors
kill by throwing stones at;
"People wanted to stone the woman who had a child out of wedlock"
remove the pits from;
"pit plums and cherries"
- The brick house was faced with stone.
- The inscription on the stone had worn away.
- The beetle scurried away when I lifted the stone.
- A diamond ring with five stones is quite expensive.
- There is a stone in the middle of a peach.
- A mob stoned and robbed the shops.
- The criminal was stoned to death.
- She washed and stoned the cherries.
- The soil is full of stones.
- He threw a stone at the dog.
- The aircraft's engine failed and it dropped like a stone.
- Small stones rolled down the hillside as they ran up.
- She picked up the stone and threw it into the river.
- What type of stone is this?
- The worshippers were buried under a mountain of stone.
- A rolling stone gathers no moss.
- She has a ring set with five stones.
- His house was built of stone.
- In early times men made tools out of stone.
- The wall was of concrete, faced with stone.
- There is a stone bridge.
- He has a heart of stone.
- cast the first stone
- kill two birds with one stone
一举两得 get two good results from one action
- leave no stone unturned
千方百计 do everything one can especially to find or obtain sth
- throw the first stone at
- break stones 敲碎石子,陷于贫困
- carry stone 运石头
- cut a stone 切石块,凿石头
- dress building stone 修琢建筑石料
- erect a stone 立界碑,立纪念碑
- lay a corner stone 铺奠基石
- remove a stone 搬走石块
- roll stone 滚石
- set a precious stone 镶嵌宝石
- work the stone 加工石料
- cast the first stone 首先攻击
- give a stone for bread 帮忙是假,愚弄是真
- dangerous stone 危险的石块
- hard stone 坚硬的石头
- heavy stone 沉重的石块
- large stone 大块石头
- light stone 轻石块
- pointed stone 带尖的石头
- precious stone 宝石
- rolling stone 滚石
- building stone 建筑石料
- cherry stone 樱桃核
- corner stone 基石
- foundation stone 奠基石
- mile stone 里程碑
- mill stone 磨石
- sand stone 沙石
I..sat down on a stone at the foot of the telegraph-pole.出自： H. D. Thoreau
The shallow streamlet came tumbling picturesquely over gray stones.出自： M. E. Braddon
I..dislodged a stone with my foot. Underneath was a toad.出自： P. Sayer
A rolling stone gathers no moss.出自：Proverb
The guilty man was accordingly stoned.出自： A. Mason
Some boys were stoning the guava trees for fruit.出自： C. Phillips
A police van hit a lamp post after it was stoned by 30 youths.出自：Sun
- 表示“一块石头”用a stone或a piece of stone都可以。
- stone, rock
- stone指体积较小的天然石块; rock指体积巨大的天然石块。例如:
- The wall is made of stone.这堵墙是石头块砌成的。
- He built his house on rock.他在岩石上建起了房子。
- stones, jewel, jewellery
- stones常为珠宝商们所使用,指用作饰物的各类矿物石,无论是原状的,还是被切割磨光的; jewel表示珍贵的宝石,指经过了切磨、磨光的; jewellery是“珠宝”的总称,意思范围较广,可指珍贵的宝石,也可指价值不大的仿造钻石。例如:
- He is a jewel thief.他是个珠宝大盗。
- Her jewellery was insured for one million dollars.她的珠宝保险价为100万美元。
误 Marble is precious stone.
正 Marble is a precious stone.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的stan，意为石块。
- stony adj. 多石头的;冷酷的；无情的‖stonily adv. 冷酷地；无情地‖stoniness n. 冷酷；无情