- vt. & vi. 关,关上 close; close sth
"the door slammed shut"
used especially of mouth or eyes;
"he sat quietly with closed eyes"
"his eyes were shut against the sunlight"
move so that an opening or passage is obstructed; make shut;
"Close the door"
"shut the window"
"The windows closed with a loud bang"
prevent from entering; shut out;
"The trees were shutting out all sunlight"
"This policy excludes people who have a criminal record from entering the country"
- Please shut the door behind you.
- The office will shut down for christmas.
- He decided to shut down the shop.
- He shut himself away for a month to catch up on his academic work.
- Her mouth opened and shut, but no sound came out.
- He shut his eyes to her faults.
- Some coal-mines had to shut down.
- Business is not good. He'll have to shut the shop.
- She heard the bedroom window blow shut.
- With the door shut, rhe room was hot and humid.
- Keep your mouth shut.
- Are all the bars shut in this town?
- The jaws snap shut to take a sample.
- Some coal-mines had to shut down.
- The box shuts hard.
- The door shuts easily.
- The post office will shut at six pm.
- The flowers shut quietly at night.
- Shut the windows before you leave.
- He shut the book and put it away.
- She shut the umbrella and entered the house.
- He shut his mouth and refused to say anything more.
- He was angry, shut his mouth and said nothing.
- They shut their eyes to crime in which they did not participate.
- Her eyes were shut.
- It was so late that all the shops were shut.
- The door is closed but not shut.
- She would shut her eyes tight.
- shut down (v.+adv.)
完全关闭 close completely
The shop has shut down because of lack of trade.
那商店因生意萧条而停业。shut sth ⇔ down
She shut the lid down.
They have shut the shop down.
A strike has shut down several car factories.
The factory was shut down for two months as a result of the strike.
- shut in1 (v.+adv.)
锁或封在里边 seal or lock in; enclose
shut sb/sth ⇔ in
If you close that door you can shut the noise in.
She feels rather shut in.
- shut in2 (v.+prep.)
shut sb/sth in sth
She shut her finger in the door.
Be careful not to shut your fingers in the door.
She shut her clothes in the door.
He was shut in a room.
- shut off (v.+adv.)
隔绝,使不得进入 separate; isolate; prevent from coming in
shut sth ⇔ off
Would you shut the electricity off, please?
They have shut off the water supply.
We shut off the motor before we left the workshop.
The current has been shut off.
After the storm the electricity was shut off for several hours.
暴风雨过后停了几个小时的电。shut oneself ⇔ off
The girl tried to shut herself off from the world.
We are really shut off here.
They feel shut off from all human contact on this island.
- shut out (v.+adv.)
排除,关在外边 exclude; lock out; prevent from coming in
shut sb/sth ⇔ out
You really can't shut him out so easily.
He shut the cat out.
She has tried to shut the memories out.
Close the door and shut out that draught!
It's impossible to shut out all news from the outside world.
I can't shut out the picture of the accident.
- shut to (v.+prep.)
不对…开放 not open to sth
shut sb/sth to sb/sth
Canada shut its fishing waters to the United States.
- shut up (v.+adv.)
关严 close completely, but not necessarily forever
I wish she would shut up!
Shut up,I'm trying to think.
Shut up and let me alone!
I asked them to shut up and let us listen to the radio.
我让他们别说话,好让我们听听收音机。shut sb ⇔ up
The boy talked too much and I had to shut him up.
这孩子话太多了,我不得不禁止他开口。shut sb/sth ⇔ up
I shut my office up and went for lunch.
It's time to shut up shop and go home.
They have shut up their town house and have gone to the country for the summer.
The shop has been shut up temporarily.
The thief was shut up in prison.
- shut a cottage 关闭乡村别墅
- shut one's ears to 充耳不闻
- shut one's eyes to 视而不见
- shut one's mind to 死不答应
- shut sb's clothes 把衣服夹在门中
- shut the box 关盒子
- shut the door〔gate〕 关门
- shut the shop 关店
- shut the windows 关窗子
- shut abruptly 突然地关上
- shut cautiously 小心地关上
- shut clamorously 砰砰响地关上
- shut easily 轻易地合上
- shut heavily 重重地关上
- shut impatiently 不耐烦地关上
- shut lightly 轻轻地关上
- shut mysteriously 神秘地合上
- shut obligingly 乐于助人地关上
- shut slowly 缓慢地关上
- shut stealthily 悄悄地合上
- shut suddenly 突然关上
- shut away 把…关起来,隔离
- shut him away from them 把他和他们隔开
- shut down 降临,关起来,关上,使停止
- shut down a factory 关闭工厂
- shut off (from) 关掉,截断,停止…的活动,使隔绝
- shut off the road from ordinary traffic 禁止一般车辆沿此路通行
- shut oneself off from the world 与世隔绝
- shut out 把…关在外面,挡住,遮住,排斥
- shut out the dog 别让狗进来
- shut out the light 遮住光线
- shut up 关上,关闭,保藏,监禁,闭口不语
- shut sb up in prison 把某人送进监牢
- shut up shop 关店,打烊
- shut up the valuables in a safe 把贵重物品藏在保险箱中
- shut the door against sb 不准某人进门,给某人吃闭门羹
- shut behind 顺手关上
- shut the door behind you 随手把门关上
- shut sb from circle 把…排斥在圈子之外
- shut in 关闭,禁闭,封闭,夹住
- shut oneself in one's room to think 关在屋里思考问题
- shut on 对…关上
- shut the door on sb 把某人拒于门外,给某人吃闭门羹
- shut to 关上(某物),闭上(眼)
- shut one's ears to all advice 不听任何劝告
- shut ears to all appeals for help 对于一切求助的呼声都充耳不闻
- shut one's eyes to the facts 闭眼不看事实
- shut with 用…方式关上
- shut sb within the walls 把某人关在屋内
He shut the gate..with a slam.出自： W. Cather
Daneel closed the door.., sliding it shut carefully.出自： I. Asimov
He..shut the door on her.出自： P. Carey
- shut, close
- 1.close指把门等关到让人不能出入的程度,只表示关上; 而shut指关严并紧紧闩住,强调与外界隔绝。例如:
- He did not close the door when he left the room.
- Shut the door so that the cat won't get out.
- The store closes at 9 p.m. every day.
- The police shut the murderer up in a cell.
- The swimming pool has closed for the winter.游泳场冬天不开放。
- The hotel is shut.这家旅馆不再开业了。
误 Please shut off the radio.The child has gone to sleep.
正 Please turn off the radio.The child has gone to sleep.
析 shut的意思是“把敞开着的东西合或关起来”,当表示“把…的开关关掉”时,不可用shut off,而用turn off。检查水管时,把水关上了几个小时。
误 The water was shut for several hours while the pipes were being repaired.
正 The water was shut off for several hours while the pipes were being repaired.
析 shut作“关掉”解时,宾语通常是门、窗等可以打开的东西; 当表示“关上”“堵住”水、气等时,应该用shut off。这窗户容易关。
误 The window is shut easily.
正 The window shuts easily.那商店晚上九点才关门。
误 The shop will not be shut until 9 p.m.
正 The shop will not shut until 9 p.m.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的scyttan，意为拴上。