- n. 便签纸；衬垫；发射台；公寓；脚印；肉趾
- n. 低沉声音；缓慢行走的马
- v. 填塞；夸大
- v. 轻轻走
- Packet Assembler/Disassembler，分组装拆器
- vt. 填塞 put pads in or on
- vt. 拉长 make (a sentence, essay, book, etc.) longer by using unnecessary material
- vi. 慢慢地走; 慢慢地荡 walk or trot steadily or softly
- [C]垫,护垫 anything made of or filled with soft material to protect sth or make it more comfortable
- [C]便笺本,拍纸簿 a number of sheets of paper fastened together
- [C]肉趾,肉垫 the usually thick-skinned fleshy underpart or the foot of some animals
- [C]发射台 a launch pad
- [C]住所,房间,公寓 house or flat
a number of sheets of paper fastened together along one edge
the large floating leaf of an aquatic plant (as the water lily)
a block of absorbent material saturated with ink; used to transfer ink evenly to a rubber stamp
a flat mass of soft material used for protection, stuffing, or comfort
a platform from which rockets or space craft are launched
temporary living quarters
the fleshy cushion-like underside of an animal's foot or of a human's finger
add details to
walk heavily and firmly, as when weary, or through mud;
"Mules plodded in a circle around a grindstone"
line or stuff with soft material;
"pad a bra"
add padding to;
"pad the seat of the chair"
- She always kept a pad and pencil by the phone.
- He jotted down a note on the pad by the telephone.
- That carpet needs a pad under it.
- The nurse put a clean pad of cotton over his wound.
- That missile disintegrated less than a minute after leaving the launch pad.
- He moved back into his old bachelor pad.
- She heard the pad of bare feet coming down the stairs.
- The helmet is padded with foam.
- Never pad out your essay with irrelevant details.
- Don't pad out your answer to make it seem impressive.
- They like to pad along this lane.
- He lost all his money and had to pad it home .
- The child let his mother pad the chair.
- The cell is padded.
- This is a jacket with padded shoulders.
- Get a pad to lie on.
- Elbow pads and knee pads are essential on a skateboard.
- Each student should have a pencil and pad.
- She made a brief note on the telephone pad.
- The dog had a thorn in its pad.
- The helicopter was already in the air, hovering about a meter above the pad.
- I'm going over to his pad this evening.
- pad along1 (v.+adv.)
慢慢地走 walk softly
The old man was padding along.
John's dog padded patiently along beside him as he walked.
- pad along2 (v.+prep.)
沿着…慢慢走 move slowly down sth
pad along sth
They padded along the road.
- pad the bill
虚报费用 give a false report of expenses
- pad down (v.+adv.)
轻轻走过 move slightly
pad sth ⇔ down
The little boy padded down the hall to his parent's bedroom.
- pad out (v.+adv.)
走出 walk out
pad sth ⇔ out
You'll have to pad out the chair with some more cloth before recovering it.
在套上椅罩之前,你须先用些布把椅子垫厚实了。pad sth ⇔ out
The critic padded out the review with quotation from the author.
He put on his slippers and padded out to the kitchen.
- pad through (v.+prep.)
慢慢地走过 move slowly through sth
pad through sth
The wolf padded through the forest.
- pad with (v.+prep.)
用…填充 fill sth with sth
pad sth with sth
We padded the box with soft cloth.
We padded the seat of chair with mane to make it softer.
- pad sth with soft cloth 用软布填塞…
Could I waylay some knight..mounted on an ambling pad?出自： T. H. White
The inaugural meeting was held..in a bachelor pad.出自： A. Blond
They heard the dog's paws padding on the carpet behind him.出自： V. Woolf
Mr. Wanamaker pads ferally through the debris.出自： K. Tynan
Mo got out of bed..and padded barefoot..towards the window.出自： E. North
But, sir, we must be padded; we are much too thin.出自： Lytton
He would turn to his fire, lifting it, or padding it round with fuel.出自： S. Middleton
- pad用作及物动词时意思是“填塞”,即“加垫子于; 填料于”。引申可作“拉长”解。接名词或代词作宾语。
- pad后接along意思是“慢慢地走”“沿着…慢慢走”; 后接down意思是“轻轻走过”; 后接out意思是“把…垫满或填满”“把…不必要地拉长”; 后接with意思是“用…填充”。
- ☆ 1554年进入英语，直接源自低地德语的pad，意为鞋底。