- 常常,经常,时常 many times; at short intervals; frequently
- 在大多数情况下 in many instances
many times at short intervals;
"we often met over a cup of coffee"
frequently or in great quantities;
"I don't drink much"
"I don't travel much"
in many cases or instances
- I often take my children to play in the park.
- My brother often scolds me without reason.
- Judy goes to the movies as often as Sara does.
- They often went carolling at Christmas.
- He was disappointed so often that he became hopeless.
- I often go swimming in summer.
- We often go there.
- I have often heard that he is the smartest person in the government.
- We have often been there.
- I have to get there often.
- Occasionally we go to a concert, but much more often to the theatre.
- These types of dogs often have eye problems.
- He writes to me often.
- He doesn't get drunk often.
- Very often you cannot know one without knowing the other.
- It very often rains here in April.
- I haven't been there very often.
- I met him quite often while I was in Beijing.
- Often did we warn them not to do so.
- Often had I intended to speak of it.
- Often Tom doesn't take medicine, but sometimes he does.
- Children often dislike tomatoes.
- Americans are often very tall.
- It's often difficult to translate poems.
- Perry is a good football player.
- A bold venture is often successful.
- The disease is often fatal.
- Old houses are often damp.
- How often do you go there?
- How often does this magazine come out?
- How often have you been there?
- We see him when he comes to town, but that isn't often.
- Is it often that I have a chance to see him?
- as often as
每次,每当 each time that; as many times as
- as often as not
往往,多半 very frequently
- every so often
- more often than not
往往,多半 very frequently
- often come 经常来
- often go 经常去
- often hear 经常听见
- often meet 经常遇见
- often rain 经常下雨
- often write to sb 经常给某人写信
Oftenest..he wished he were a vigorous young man of genius.出自： H. James
I am often assumed to be Welsh.出自： Day Lewis
Through this voyage I had been..changing the sails more often.出自： F. Chichester
Francis..often either lay down or took a short walk.出自： E. Bowen
I heard about it often enough.出自： E. Figes
- often一般位于实义动词之前,而位于to be、情态动词或(第一个)助动词之后。有时为了加强语气, often也可以放在系动词之前,此时作谓语的系动词要重读。
- 用于疑问句或否定句中, often可以用作表语。
- often在用于询问“隔多长时间一次”或“多少次”时,常用于how often短语。
- often, always, sometimes, usually
- He comes to school on Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday and even on Sunday.我们可说：He always goes to school.always表示的频率是100%。
- He comes to school on Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday and Friday.我们可说：He usually goes to school.usually表示的频率是90%。
- He comes to school on Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday.我们可说：He often goes to school.often表示的频率是60%。
- He comes to school on Monday and Thursday.我们可以说He sometimes goes to school.sometimes表示的频率是20%。
- 2.always的反义词是never; often的反义词是seldom; usually的反义词是occasionally, sometimes的反义词是always。
- often, frequently
- often是常用词,强调的是经常性,具体时间意味不强; frequently比较正式,强调在某一具体时间内某事一次接一次地发生。试比较：
- He comes here very often.
- He comes here very frequently.
误 I often made spelling mistakes in English class yesterday.
正 I made spelling mistakes in English class several times yesterday.
误 He travels often abroad for business.
正 He often travels abroad for business.
误 How long do you write to your parents?
正 How often do you write to your parents?
析 how long指“行为持续的时间”,而how often则表示“多久发生一次”,即某种行为发生的频率。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的oft，意为经常。