- 别客气， 没关系
- 倒不是， 并不是说
- 【计】 “非”
- 不,没 (word that gives an opposite meaning to another word or sentence)
- negation of a word or group of words;
"he does not speak French"
"she is not going"
"they are not friends"
"not at all"
- I'm not really sure.
- It's not your fault.
- We are not teachers.
- They will not agree.
- David did not have a book to his name.
- His new book did not come up to expectation.
- He was not unlearned in history.
- Fortune has not always smiled on him.
She did not see him.
You may not be chosen.
I mustn't forget.
They are not here.
I think it is right to say peace cannot be got by begging.
I'm going too, ain't I?
Ain't we having fun?
I asked him not to come.
He warned me not to be late.
The wisest policy is not to interfere.
The difficulty was in not laughing out loud.
Not knowing,I cannot say.
Not having a telephone can save you a lot of trouble.
I don't think it will rain.
I don't believe the policy of power politics can blackmail us into submission.
“Will it rain?” “I hope not.”
“Does he know?” “I believe not.”
“Can I come in?” “I'm afraid not.”
Is she ready or not?
Can you mend it or not?
All he has said is not right.
Not everyone can play the violin.
Both of the books are not to my taste.
We plan to meet again in the not too distant future.
They are not rich.
“Are you hungry?” “Not hungry, just very tired.”
That was not wisely done.
Not until last week was the project in full blast.
Not for the world, would I never think of hurting her.
“Would you like some more?” “Not for me, thank you.”
“Do you go in the sea every day?” “Not in the winter.”
She argued, and not without reason, that no one could afford to pay.
It's not on Sunday.
Not a hair of your head shall be touched.
“How much did this cost?” “Not a penny.”
“Who will do the washing-up?” “Not me.”
He drank not a little of the wine.
The tumbler is not half full.
He accused them of being responsible for the error, and that's not half of the story.
I don't half like the idea of your travelling by yourself.
I didn't feel half sorry, to tell you the truth.
This lesson is not half so difficult as that one.
We didn't feel half as bad when we got there.
His first attempts at painting are not half as bad.
- as likely as not
He likes to stay outside in hot weather; he'll be in his garden, as likely as not. 天气热时,他喜欢呆在外面,很可能他要到花园去。
- 很可能,说不定 possible
- as often as not
As often as not,Jacelin thinks before he speaks. 杰斯林通常是经过思考后才发言。
- 经常,通常 usually
- as soon as not
很愿意,再乐意不过 very happy to do sth
I'd go there as soon as not. 我很乐意到那里去。
- 很愿意,再乐意不过 very happy to do sth
不是…而是 (show one choice instead of another)
He is not thirty-five years old, but thirty-seven. 他不是35岁,而是37岁。
John treated me badly, and punished me, not two or three times in a week, nor once or twice in a day, but continually. 约翰待我不好,而且打我,不是一星期两三次,也不是一两天一次,而是动不动就打。
Not once have the workers of our factory succeeded in inventing new machines, but many times. 我们厂的工人们成功地发明了新机器已经不止一次了,而是许多次了。
- 不是…而是 (show one choice instead of another)
- not a
Not a word did he say. 他一句话也没说。
Not a penny of the money did he spend. 这钱他未花分文。
- 一个也不 none
- not all that
不那么… not as seriously as
It isn't all that cold. 还没有冷到那种程度。
He wasn't all that upset at the news. 他听到这消息时,并没有那么心烦意乱。
- 不那么… not as seriously as
- not at all
- 别客气 you're welcome
- not in the least
I am not in the least afraid. 我一点也不惧怕。
- not only...but (also)
不但…而且 there're the other beside these
Shakespeare was not only a writer but also an actor. 莎士比亚不但是作家,而且还是演员。
She is not only cold but also hungry. 她不仅冷,而且饿。
Not only the grandparents were there but also the aunts, uncles and cousins. 不光是祖父母,连姑妈、叔父及其子女也在那里。
Not only can he repair bikes but he can repair televisions. 他不仅能修自行车,而且能修电视机。
- 不但…而且 there're the other beside these
- not so much...as
与其说是…,不如说是 would rather to say
He is not so much a journalist as a writer. 与其说他是个新闻工作者,不如说他是个作家。
- 与其说是…,不如说是 would rather to say
- not that
并不是说 though one is not suggesting that
She hasn't written to me yet — not that she ever said she would. 她还没给我来信——倒不是她说过要给我写信。
Where were you last night?Not that I care, of course. 你昨天晚上在哪儿?当然,我并不在乎。
- 并不是说 though one is not suggesting that
- not (that)...but
并不是…,而是… not sth but the others
Not that he dislikes the work, but he has no time. 并不是他不喜欢这个工作,而是他没有时间。
Not that I love Caesar less, but that I love Rome more. 并非我不大爱凯撒,而是我更爱罗马。
- 并不是…,而是… not sth but the others
- not yet
尚未,还没有 (sth) didn't happen
We have not yet had news from him. 我们还没有接到他的消息。
Have you not graduated yet? 你还没有毕业吗?
- 尚未,还没有 (sth) didn't happen
- not at all(用于否定)一点也不...
- not half一点也不
- not all that不那么 ...
- not a patch on远不如
- not a bit一点也不
- not so much as与其 ... 不如...
- Not that I know of.据我所知并非如此。...
- not all roses不尽完美
- not a gleam of hope毫无希望
- not a dog's chance一点机会也没有...
- not a feather to fly with贫困
- not nearly远不及
- not much in it没什么差别
- not having any[口][前接动词be...
- not a few不少(很多)
- not amount to a hill of beans无足轻重
- not be much on对 ... 不感兴趣...
- not put it past someone相信某人会做出...
Is he not a gay dissipated rake who has squandered his patrimony?出自：R. B. Sheridan
This is not the cause of a king, but of kings.出自：Burke
If the sky were not clear..you would have to come..in the morning.出自：T. Hardy
The English translation is not good.出自：A. Tate
An Indian, isn't he?出自：P. Capon
A swimming-pool..is common to all as a table is not.出自：absol.
- not的基本意思是“不,没有”,通常用于否定句中,位于动词be、have/has或情态动词之后,或与之一起构成缩写形式; 如:isn't, don't, won't等。
- 在美国口语中常用ain't代替am not/are not/is not/has not/have not。
- not可用于省略结构中,代替词、词组或整个句子。在一些动词(如think, believe等)、副词(如probably等)和词组(如be afraid等)之后,可用not代替否定从句。
- not与all, both, every, always等词连用时表示部分否定。
- not only...but also...既不表否定意义,也不能用于否定结构; not either...or或neither...nor可表达否定意义。
- not还可以和一些数词连用表达不同的意思。当not与数词连用时,意为“少于,不到”; not也可与表示数量的形容词连用表示不同的意思,如not many(much)(很少,不多), not a few(a little)(不少,很多), not a bit(毫不,一点也不); not还可否定one, once等词,意为“不止一个〔次〕”; not可与half连用意为“不到一半”,但在非正式英语里,如果not half加上某些形容词(与be连用)或动词(助动词do),意为“一点也不”,但在英式英语中(do)not half加上动词意为“非常”, not half so/as加上形容词或副词意为“远不及”; 另外not half as bad意为“好多了”。
- 有时为了加强肯定的语气而把not同一些附加有否定意义的前缀的否定词搭配起来构成肯定。例如:We were not unprepared for it.我们对此并不是没有准备的。
- I do not hope that he will come tomorrow.
- I hope that he will not come tomorrow.
- I am not afraid that he will come tomorrow.
- I am afraid that he will not come tomorrow.
- I do not fear that he will come tomorrow.
- I fear that he will not come tomorrow.
- I do not trust that he will come tomorrow.
- I trust that he will not come tomorrow.
误 Getting not enough sleep is harmful to your health.
正 Not getting enough sleep is harmful to your health.
误 Having not know about the accident, he went to work as usual.
正 Not having known about the accident, he went to work as usual.
误 I beg you to not go.
正 I beg you not to go.
析 不定式的否定形式是not to do。
误 The students went on strike, but no the teachers.
正 The students went on strike, but not the teachers.
析 not和no均可用来构成否定,但用法不同。not用来使动词变成否定,而no是作为形容词用在名词前,意思是not a或not any。
误 I don't want both of them.
正 I don't want either of them.
析 either用在not后面,表示全部否定,而not与all, every, everyone, both等词连用时表示部分否定。
误 I cannot almost believe it.
正 I can hardly believe it.
析 “几乎不”用hardly, scarcely表达。almost可以修饰no, none, nothing等词,但不能修饰not。
误 He is always not late.
正 He is never late.
析 always not表示“不总是,有时不”,不符合句意。
误 He is not a little like his father.
正 He is not a bit like his father.
析 not a little等于much,表示“很多”,而not a bit表示“一点也不”。
误 Not only he made a promise, but also he kept it.
正 Not only did he make a promise, but also he kept it.
正 He not only made a promise, but also he kept it.
析 not only用在句首,第一个分句应倒装。
误 I have not brother.
正 I have no brother(s).
误 No any tourists came the island last year.
正 No tourists came to the island last year.
误 I have not idea what he wants to do.
正 I have no idea what he wants to do.
析 此处no是形容词,加在名词前作定语,等于not any, not是副词,不能直接修饰名词。
误 He should have not started so early.
正 He should not have started so early.
析 在复合谓语动词中,副词not, never等通常放在第一个助动词之后。
误 He is not so strong like you.
正 He is not so strong as you.
析 not so...as是as...as的否定形式,不可用not so...like表示。
误 The boss was on holiday, but no the employees.
正 The boss was on holiday, but not the employees.
误 He didn't speak clearly and correctly.
正 He didn't speak clearly or correctly.
析 not...or表示全部否定, not...and表示部分否定。
误 He not only plays the piano, but also the violin.
正 He plays not only the piano, but also the violin.
误 He not only speaks English but also French.
误 Not only does he speak English, but French as well.
正 He speaks not only English but also French.
正 Not only does he speak English but also speaks French.
析 not only...but also...所连接的内容在形式上要前后对称。
误 Not only the books but also the dictionary belong to me.
正 Not only the books but also the dictionary belongs to me.
析 用not only...but also...连接两个部分作主语时,其谓语动词的数要与but also后的主语保持一致。
误 She studies as hard as her younger brother, but does not study hard as her elder sister.
正 She studies as hard as her younger brother, but not so hard as her elder sister.
析 把两个相同的人或事物比较时,须用as...as或not so/as...as,误句中后半句少了so/as。
误 “Will you go with me?” “Not.”
正 “Will you go with me?” “No.”
析 同no, never, hardly等否定词不一样, not不能用来回答提问。
误 You not hardly ever come to see us.
正 You hardly ever come to see us.
- ☆ 13世纪中期进英入语，直接源自古英语的noht，意为无。
- NOT:Normal Operating Temperature正常操作温度
- NOT:Naczelna Organizacja Techniczna (Polish Federation of Engineering Associations)Naczelna Organizacja Techniczna工程协会联合会(波兰)
- NOT:Nordic Optical Telescope北欧的光学望远镜
- not:not adv. 不习惯用语and what not 诸如此类if not 不然的话, 否则not all that 不那么...(地)not at all 别客气 根本不not ...but...…