- 其间,同时 in the time between two events; at the same time
- the time between one event, process, or period and another;
"meanwhile the socialists are running the government"
- at the same time but in another place;
"meanwhile, back at the ranch..."
- during the intervening time;
"meanwhile I will not think about the problem"
"meantime he was attentive to his other interests"
"in the meantime the police were notified"
- Father was cutting the grass, and meanwhile mother was planting roses.
- Meanwhile, my debts were mounting up.
She's due to arrive on Thursday. Meanwhile, what do we do?
I went to college. Meanwhile, all my friends got well-paid jobs.
They'll be here soon. Meanwhile, let's have some coffee.
Eve was cutting the grass, meanwhile Adam was playing roses.
In the meanwhile, the Government is effectively admitting that state spending is out of control.出自：Daily Telegraph
- meanwhile有时也可用作名词,多用在in the meanwhile短语中,意思与meanwhile相同,但不如meanwhile用得普遍。例如:The next programme starts in five minutes; in the meanwhile, here's some music.下一个节目5分钟后开始,现在先播放些音乐。The new secretary won't come until next week; in the meanwhile we've arranged for a temporary one.新秘书在下周前还不会来,在此期间,我们已经安排了一位临时秘书。In the meanwhile I'll wash the dishes.与此同时,我要洗洗盘子。
- ☆ 14世纪中期进入英语，直接源自该语的mnea （中，中间的） + while （一段时间），意为在同一段时间中。
- meanwhile:meanwhile (=meantime) n.其间, 其时adv. 其间…