英 ['mɑːtə(r)] 美 ['mɑːrtər]
- n. 【C】烈士；殉道者；(因病等)长期受苦者
- vt. 杀害；折磨
one who suffers for the sake of principle
one who voluntarily suffers death as the penalty for refusing to renounce their religion
kill as a martyr;
"Saint Sebastian was martyred"
torture and torment like a martyr
- He is a martyr of his country.
- He was posthumously accepted as a martyr.
- It is better to be a martyr than a confessor.
- He is a martyr to his rheumatism.
- He was martyred by the Romans.
- He is being martyed by the continuous headaches.