exerting force or influence;
"the law is effective immediately"
"a warranty good for two years"
"the law is already in effect (or in force)"
in actuality or reality or fact;
"she is effectively his wife"
"in effect, they had no choice"
- The two methods were in effect identical.
- I am afraid the idea would never work in practice.
- But the male spiders have a problem with the basic strategy, for mating rituals demand that they sport elongated mouthparts, which could detract from the overall antlike effect.
- My plan has not been carried out with effect.
- Some ancient laws are still in effect.