- vi. 流,流动,循环 run or spread smoothly like a river
- vi. 垂; 飘拂 wave to and fro; float in the air; flutter
- [S]流动,流量; 不断的供应 a smooth steady movement or supply
- the motion characteristic of fluids (liquids or gases)
- the amount of fluid that flows in a given time
- the act of flowing or streaming; continuous progression
- any uninterrupted stream or discharge
- something that resembles a flowing stream in moving continuously;
"a stream of people emptied from the terminal"
"the museum had planned carefully for the flow of visitors"
- dominant course (suggestive of running water) of successive events or ideas;
"two streams of development run through American history"
"stream of consciousness"
"the flow of thought"
"the current of history"
- the monthly discharge of blood from the uterus of nonpregnant women from puberty to menopause;
"the women were sickly and subject to excessive menstruation"
"a woman does not take the gout unless her menses be stopped"
"the semen begins to appear in males and to be emitted at the same time of life that the catamenia begin to flow in females"
- move or progress freely as if in a stream;
"The crowd flowed out of the stadium"
- move along, of liquids;
"Water flowed into the cave"
"the Missouri feeds into the Mississippi"
- cause to flow;
"The artist flowed the washes on the paper"
- be abundantly present;
"The champagne flowed at the wedding"
- fall or flow in a certain way;
"This dress hangs well"
"Her long black hair flowed down her back"
- cover or swamp with water
- undergo menstruation;
"She started menstruating at the age of 11"
- The government is trying to stop the increasing flow of refugees entering the country.
- The flow of melted snow cascaded down the mountainside and into the river.
- I saw the ebb and flow of the sea.
- A free flow of water came from the pipe.
- An expansion wave in accelerating flow broadens.
- There is a steady flow of traffic in the morning.
- This river flowed southwest to the Atlantic Ocean.
- Her hair flowed over her shoulders.
- Conversation flowed freely when the speaker invited discussion.
- The low grounds along the river are annually flowed.
The stream flows past the house.
Blood flows through our bodies.
Tears flowed down his cheeks.
The old man's tears were flowing freely.
The tears flowed past from her eyes.
Trucks and cars flowed along the highway all day.
Electricity flows through a copper wire.
The lines in this painting flow.
That's a rich city; money flows like water there.
Her hair flowed down her back.
Her hair flowed over her shoulders.
She let her hair down so that it flowed darkly over her shoulders.
The colored flags flow in the wind.
In front of the village there flows a stream.
I interrupted him while he was in full flow.
Now we have a reservoir regulating the river flow.
The tide is on the flow.
I love the still flow of the river.
She expressed herself in a flow of words.
The flow of oil had to be cut off because of the threat of fire.
The government is trying to stop the increasing flow of refugees entering the country.
The flow of traffic is always slow at rush hours.
The ebb and flow of the sea is certainly a sight to behold.
His method of treating the disease goes against the flow of current medical opinion.
- flow away (v.+adv.)
流逝 pass rapidly flow away
There was a block in the pipe and the water couldn't flow away.管子内有阻塞物,水无法流走。
Time flows away.时间流逝。
- 流逝 pass rapidly flow away
- flow from (v.+prep.)
从…流出 come; pass; run from
Water flowed from the pipe. 水从管子里往外流。
The river flows from east to west. 那条河从东向西流。
Blood was flowing from his wound. 血从他的伤口流出。
Praise flowed from his mouth. 他赞不绝口。
The humblest apologies flowed from him. 他极为谦恭地连声道歉。
Wealth flows from industry and economy. 财富来自勤劳与节俭。
Wisdom flows from experience. 经验由智慧累积而来。
His authority does not flow from his office alone. 他的权威不仅仅由于他的职位。
A result may flow from several causes. 一个结果可能是几种原因造成的。
Knowledge flows from studying industriously. 知识来自勤奋学习。
- 从…流出 come; pass; run from
- flow in1 (v.+adv.)
流入 move in
When the end of the pipe was opened, the water flowed in. 当水管尽头打开时,水流进来。
源源而来 receive in quantity
Order continued flowing in. 订货单源源不断。
- 流入 move in
- flow in2 (v.+prep.)
流入 move in flow in sth
The Thames River flows in the North Sea.泰晤士河注入北海。
The cars flowed in steady stream along the main road.汽车川流不息地沿着干道行驶。
- 流入 move in flow in sth
- flow into (v.+prep.)
流入 allow water to pass into flow into sth
The Yellow River flows into the Bohai Sea.黄河流进渤海。
Rivers flow into the sea.百川归海。
European scientists, engineers, and technicians are flowing into the United States.欧洲的科学家、工程师以及技术人员正在流入美国。
On the night of National Day crowds of people flowed into the park to watch firework.国庆节之夜,成群结队的人涌入公园观看烟花。
- 流入 allow water to pass into flow into sth
- flow out (v.+adv.)
流出 move out
The crowd flowed out of the station. 人群涌出车站。
After the concert the people flowed out of the hall. 音乐会后,人们涌出大厅。
大量地花掉 be spent or sent out in quantity
Gold flowed out of the country. 该国黄金外流。
- 流出 move out
- flow over1 (v.+adv.)
泛滥 flood flow over
The river flowed over.那条河泛滥了。
- 泛滥 flood flow over
- flow over2 (v.+prep.)
无影响 have no effect on flow over sb
All her complaints just flowed over him.她的那些牢骚对他都没有多大影响。
Office politics just seem to flow over him.同事之间勾心斗角的事似乎并未波及他。
流过 pass flow over sth
Water flowed over the sidewalks.水在人行道上流。
The river flowed over the bank.河水漫过堤岸。
Tears were flowing over his florid face.他通红的脸上淌着眼泪。
- 无影响 have no effect on flow over sb
- flow to (v.+prep.)
流向 move to flow to sth
The river flowed to the east.河水向东流去。
The long line of cars flowed to the airport.一长列汽车像水一样开往机场。
Money tends to flow to business that are already succeeding.钱流入生意兴隆的商业。
- 流向 move to flow to sth
- flow with (v.+prep.)
被…漫过; 被…淹过; 富有… be covered with flow with sth
The battlefield flowed with rivers of blood.战场上血流成河。
Our motherland flows with natural resources.我们国家自然资源非常丰富。
- 被…漫过; 被…淹过; 富有… be covered with flow with sth
- flow from several causes 由好几个原因造成
- flow in the wind 迎风招展
- flow into the sea 流入大海
- flow over banks 决堤
- flow through the city 流经这个城市
- flow to the North Sea 流入北海
- alter the flow of the new channels 新开了几条渠道
- check the flow of blood 止血
- cut off the flow 切断供应
- facilitate the flow of blood 活血
- increase the flow of goods 加速商品流通
- interrupt sb's flow of thought 打断某人的思路
- obstruct the flow of the water 堵塞水流
- regulate a flow 调节流速〔流量〕
- retard the flow of the water 减慢水流
The flow Of sudden tears.出自：Shelley
The natural flow of water towards the lower level of the sea.出自：H. Read
All networks of radio and television and the flow of their waves.出自：R. L. Bruckberger
The 'flow' country of Caithness and Sutherland, an open peat bog.出自：Daily Telegraph
The water..was soon seen and heard to be flowing away at a rapid rate.出自：H. Allen
Usually the canal flows north, but today it was completely still.出自：I. McEwan
A little iron bridge..under which the small tortuous river flows.出自：O. Henry
The stream of the unconscious continues to flow undisturbed.出自：fig.
- flow的基本意思是指如液体流动般地运动,可以是大量地,也可以是少量地; 可以是缓慢地,也可以是急速地。强调持续不断。可用于液体、车流、电流、语流等。flow还可表示“垂”或“飘拂”。
- flow是不及物动词,其后可接away表示“流走”; 接from表示“从…流走”; 接in表示“流入”; 接out表示“流出”; 接over表示“泛滥”; 接to表示“流向”; 接with表示“被…淹过”或“富有…”。
- flow表示位置的移动时相当于表存在的动词be,可用于there flow句型,且须主谓倒装。
- flow, pour, run, stream
这组词的共同意思是“流”“流动”。其区别是：1.flow, run, stream和pour都可指液体流动; flow还可指气体流动; pour还可指光线、微粒等倾泻。2.时间上:flow一般指源源不断地、长时间地流动; run既可以是源源不断地、长时间地流动,也可以是流动一段时间; stream和pour多指短时间地流动。3.方向上:指液体流动时, flow是水平流动; run和stream既可水平流动,也可垂直流动; pour是垂直流动。4.流速上:从快到慢依次为pour, stream, run, flow。具体说就是flow是平平稳稳地流动; run比较湍急; stream比run更有力; pour则是“倾泻”。5.flow, stream和pour常用于比喻, run很少用于比喻。例如:The river was flowing quietly.河水静静流着。She let her hair down so that it flew darkly over her shoulders.她让乌黑的头发披散下来,飘垂到肩上。The river runs through hills and fields.河水流经山冈和田野。The water runs out of the pipe into the bucket.水自管内注入水桶中。Tears were streaming down her face.她脸上热泪滚滚而下。The students streamed into the auditorium.学生们络绎不绝地进入礼堂。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的flaown，意为流动。
- FLOW:flow welding波峰焊
- FLOW:Florida Licensing On Wheels佛罗里达的许可
- FLOW:Future Leaders of the World Academy (now Future Leaders Academy of Arts & Sciences)未来的世界领导学院(现在的未来领袖美术学院及科学)
- flow:flow n. 流程, 流动, (河水)泛滥, 洋溢vi. 流动, 涌流, 川流不息, 飘扬vt. 溢过, 淹没 英英解释:名词flow:1. the motion characteristic of…