- 到很远距离,遥远地 (of space) by a great distance
- 久远地 (of time) a long way
- 到很大程度,很,极 to a great extent; considerably; very much
- 远的,遥远的 not near; being a long way away
- a terrorist organization that seeks to overthrow the government dominated by Tutsi and to institute Hutu control again;
"in 1999 ALIR guerrillas kidnapped and killed eight foreign tourists"
- located at a great distance in time or space or degree;
"we come from a far country"
"far corners of the earth"
"the far future"
"a far journey"
"the far side of the road"
"far from the truth"
"far in the future"
- being of a considerable distance or length;
"a far trek"
- being the animal or vehicle on the right or being on the right side of an animal or vehicle;
"the horse on the right is the far horse"
"the right side is the far side of the horse"
- beyond a norm in opinion or actions;
"the far right"
- to a considerable degree; very much;
"a far far better thing that I do"
"felt far worse than yesterday"
"eyes far too close together"
- at or to or from a great distance in space;
"he traveled far"
"strayed far from home"
"sat far away from each other"
- at or to a certain point or degree;
"I can only go so far before I have to give up"
"how far can we get with this kind of argument?"
- remote in time;
"if we could see far into the future"
"all that happened far in the past"
- to an advanced stage or point;
"a young man who will go very far"
- The new music teacher lives far away.
- How far do you make it to the station?
- I was born in a village not far from Beijing.
- It happened far back in the past.
- He often works far into the night.
- The tortoise was far behind him.
- This English poem is far too hard to translate.
- The goods were bid up far beyond their real value.
- In the concrete, the theory is far from perfect.
- I don't know how far to rely on him.
- The work hasn't progressed very far.
- I saw her on the far side of the road.
- The far side of the moon is difficult for us to observe.
- Who is that on the far left of the photograph?
- He took his journey into a far country.
- She sits there gazing at the far, with tears on her face.
We didn't go far.
Have you come far?
Its branches spread far and wide.
We should plan ahead far enough.
You've gone too far.
It's far hotter today than yesterday.
Her mother is far better.
There are far fewer cinemas than there used to be.
The film is far better than the book.
There's far less water in the river than usual .
I paid far more than I should.
He runs far faster than his brother.
His ideas is far better than yours.
It's far too hot in this room, open the windows.
Tell him to go away,I'm far, far too busy to see him.
He is far too sensible to believe these ridiculous lies.
Someone waited far below.
Cuba is far apart from China.
Somewhere far off there was a storm.
I don't know how far I should believe him.
Let's hurry a bit, we are far behind them.
Human acts have repercussions far beyond the frontiers of the human world.
We can't plan far beyond August.
I was far beneath him socially.
Your answers are far from being accurate.
We walked far into the woods.
They danced far into the night.
They worked far into the night.
The meeting went on far into the night.
He can see far into the future.
The far side of the moon is difficult for us to observe.
Put it on the far side of the room.
He lives on the far side of the hill.
I long to travel to far places.
He stood in the far corner of the room.
In the far distance I saw a ride approaching.
A scientist is always a man of far sight.
Let's walk back to the office, it's not far.
The gasoline filling station is not far from here.
- as far as
直到…为止 the place mentioned, but no further
He didn't go as far as the gate. 他没有走到大门口。
He didn't walk as far as his friends. 他没有走到朋友们走的那么远。
I've read as far as the third chapter. 我已读到第三章了。
Fields of corn spread out as far as the eye could see. 玉米地延伸到看不到边的地方。
A continuous line of cars stretched as far as the eye could see. 连绵不断的车辆望不到尽头。
We can see nothing but houses as far as the eye can reach. 在眼力所及范围内,我们除了房屋别的什么也看不见。
只要 so long as
As far as possible, he will help you. 只要可能,他会帮助你的。
I'll help you as far as I can. 只要我能,我一定帮助你。
据…,就… the extent that; as much as
As far as I know, he speaks English very well. 据我所知,他的英语讲得很好。
As far as I know, he will be away for three months. 据我所知,他将离开三个月。
As far as I know, they're coming by car. 据我所知,他们将坐汽车来。
- 直到…为止 the place mentioned, but no further
- by far
…得多,更,尤其 by a great amount
This is better by far. 这个好多了。
This is by far the taller of the two. 两者一比,这个高得多了。
This book is by far better than that one. 这本书比那本书好得多了。
This is by far the best of all. 这是所有之中最好的。
That is by far the best choice. 那是最好的选择。
She is by far the most active student in our class. 她是我们班最活跃的学生。
He is by far the tallest among us. 在我们中间,他的个头最高。
He is taking the shortest route, the shortest by far. 他正操最短的路线,显然是最短的捷径。
- …得多,更,尤其 by a great amount
- far and away
大大地,最,无疑的 by a very great amount ; very much
She's far and away the best actress I've seen. 她是我所见到的最好的演员。
This is far and away the best book I have read for a long time. 这是我长期以来读到的最好的一本书。
- 大大地,最,无疑的 by a very great amount ; very much
- far away
远,遥远的 a long way
He lives far away. 他住在很远的地方。
Now far away in the woods a bird called. 这时远远的树林里,小鸟在鸣叫。
The station is far away from our school. 火车站离我们学校很远。
- 远,遥远的 a long way
- far from
远离 far away from somewhere
They seldom went far from home, and they fancied that the whole world was seen from the top of their hill. 他们难得离开家园,他们以为从他们的小山顶上可以看见全世界。
They travelled far from home. 他们离家远游。
Our friends live far from the airport. 我们的朋友住的地方离机场很远。
远非,不但不… not at all sth; almost the opposite of sth
The show was far from being a failure, it was a great success. 这次展览不仅不是失败,反而是极大的成功。
Far from relieving my cough, the medicine aggravated it. 药非但不镇咳,反而使我咳嗽得更厉害。
I am far from blaming him. 我绝不是责备他。
His work is far from perfect. 他的工作做得太不好了。
He is not a fool, far from it. 他不是傻瓜,绝对不是。
She is not a good driver—far from it! 他不是一个好驾驶员,——绝对不是!
It is far from the truth. 这绝不是真实情况。
I was still far from satisfaction. 我还是一点也不满意。
I am far from pleased with your behaviour. 我对你的表现很不满意。
- 远离 far away from somewhere
- so far
至今为止 up to the present
So far, so good. 到目前为止,一切顺利。
I've been trying to open the door, without result so far. 我一直想打开这扇门,但是,现在还打不开。
The disease has so far defied all attempts to find a cure. 至今为止,这种病找不到任何治疗的方法。
So far I haven't learned how to bear misfortune cheerfully. 到现在为止,我还没有学会怎样能欣然忍受不幸。
He's done his best, but he has so far failed to break the record. 他已尽了最大努力,但至今没打破纪录。
I can only trust him so far. 我至今还信赖他。
- 至今为止 up to the present
- far into the distance 至远方
- far into the future 在很遥远的未来
- far into the night 一直到深夜
- far off the mark 远离靶子
- far outside the town 城外很远的地方
That's another of the things I love, living in far countries.出自：H. James
I wish the man were farred who plagues his brains wi' striking out new words.出自：E. Gaskell
A remote common far from habitation.出自：K. Grahame
- far的基本意思是“远”,可指距离的远,也可指时间的远。指距离时,一般用于否定句或疑问句,在肯定句中,多用a long way代替far。但far如位于too或so之后,则可以用于肯定句; 与其他副词或介词连用时,也可以用于肯定句。far不与kilometre等表示确切距离的词语连用。
- far可以修饰原级的形容词或副词,语义上含有比较的意味。far和by far都可以修饰形容词或副词的比较级或最高级, far修饰最高级形式和by far修饰比较级和最高级形式时,该最高级和比较级形式前须加定冠词the。
- far from意思是“远非,不但不…”,后可接名词、代词、形容词、副词、过去分词或动名词。接形容词时,可以看作是省略了being。
- as far as, so far as
这两个短语的共同意思是“直到…为止”。其区别是：as far as既可用于肯定句,也可用于否定句; 而so far as只能用于否定句;当表示“据…，就…”时可以换用。例如：So far as I know〔As far as I can see〕,that is highly unlike.就我所知〔依我看〕，那是极不可能的。
- far and near, far and wide
这两个短语的共同意思是“到处”。其区别是：far and near含有远近各处的意思; far and wide含有四面八方的意思。例如:His good name is known far and near.远近都知道他是个好人。People searched far and wide for the missing child.人们到处寻找丢失的孩子。
- as far as, until
这两个词(组)的共同意思是“一直到…”。其区别是：1.until只能指时间“一直到…”。指距离“一直到…”时,必须用as far as。例如:He walked as far as the post office.他一直走到了邮局。I'll wait until I hear from you.我将一直等到你来信。2.as far as除表示“一直到…”,还可作“就…而言,只要”解。
- far, by far
1.修饰形容词或副词的比较级时,只能用far,语义上有比较意味。2.far和by far均可修饰形容词或副词的比较级,比较级前不带冠词the时用far,带the时用by far。3.by far可置于形容词〔副词〕的比较级之后,而far不可。
- go too far, go far
这两个短语的意思不同。go too far意思是“(做得)太过分”; go far意思是“大有前途(指人)”“大有作用(多指事物)”。例如:She really went too far when she called me an ugly old cow.她骂我是丑陋的老母牛,真是太过分了。That child will go far, he's only 16, and he already has a place at Oxford University.那个孩子前途远大,他才16岁就已经进了牛津大学。
- far, distant, remote
这三个词的共同意思是“远的”“遥远的”。其区别是：distant指时间上、空间上的遥远,也可指亲属关系上的疏远; 而far除表示实际距离的远和时间的遥远外,还可指程度上的“远”; remote指时间或距离上是遥远的,也指在感情、兴趣等方面距离很大的,还指关系方面疏远的或淡薄的。另外, distant常用于比喻; far通常用于文学语体,用来描写异国风光或景色等。 例如:She is always distant with strangers.她对陌生人总是很冷漠。He is a distant uncle of mine.他是我的一位远房叔叔。My school is far from the town.我的学校离城很远。My hometown is remote from sea.我的家乡离海很远。
- The town is far.
- The town is a long way off.
- 注意far在肯定句中,多用a long way代替。
误 We walked far.
正 We walked a long way.
析 在肯定句中一般不宜单独用far作状语,而多用a long way来代替。
误 The last novel of his is far the best he has written.
正 The last novel of his is by far the best he has written.
析 far单独作程度状语一般用来修饰形容词或副词的比较级; 形容词或副词的最高级通常用by far来修饰。
误 He is very more tolerant that I.
正 He is far more tolerant that I.
误 As far as he concerned, things were going well.
正 As far as he was concerned, things were going well.
析 as far as...be concerned为固定结构,表示“就…而论(来说)”“至于…”, be不能省略。
误 How long is it from the cinema to the railway station?
正 How far is it from the cinema to the railway station?
误 They walked as long as the church.
正 They walked as far as the church.
析 far一般表距离远近; long一般指时间长短。
误 She has only one younger sister so long as I know.
正 She has only one younger sister so far as I know.
析 as〔so〕 far as是一个合成连词,引导状语从句,意为“就…而论”,其中far不可换为long。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的foerr，意为远，行走。
- far:far adj. (常用于书面语)远的, 久远的, 遥远的adv. (表示空间或时间上的距离)远, 很远, 遥远地, 久远地, 甚远地, 很, 很晚地n. 远处, 远方 英英解释:名词far:1. a…