- v. 羡慕；妒忌
- n. 羡慕；(妒忌的)对象
- [U]妒忌; 羡慕 feeling of discontent caused by sb else's good fortune or success
- vt. 羡慕,妒忌 feel envy of; admire
a feeling of grudging admiration and desire to have something that is possessed by another
spite and resentment at seeing the success of another (personified as one of the deadly sins)
feel envious towards; admire enviously
be envious of; set one's heart on
- They envy him his good fortune.
- I envy her ability to dance in front of a crowd.
- Don't envy anyone who lives better than you.
- He was filled with envy at my success.
- His new house was the envy of all his friends.
- His new house excited their envy.
- They were full of envy when they saw my new car.
- I couldn't conceal my envy at his success.
- They say such scandalous things about you out of envy.
- How I envy you; I wish I could make my hair curl like that.
- I quite envy these lively happy children.
- She has got a well-paid job.I really envy her.
- I envy your good fortune.
- Nobody envies his reputation.
- He envied your trip to Greece.
- I envy your ability to master several languages.
- Better be envied than pitied.
- I envy you your health.
- We all envied him his knowledge.
- He will have a chance of visiting Guilin. We all envy him his good fortune.
- I don't envy you your journey in this bad weather.
- Some countries envy us our rapid development of light industry.
- He had never envied the rich their luxurious life.
- I don't envy him the task.
- I do not envy you the responsibilities you have undertaken.
- I don't envy him his bad-tempered wife.
- the envy of
令人嫉妒〔羡慕〕的人〔事物〕sb/sth that causes sb to feel envy
- envy at (v.+prep.)
在…方面羡慕 feel envy in some field
envy at v-ing
Someone envied at your learning English so easily.
They envied at her breaking the record of 100-metre race.
Some countries envied at our relying mainly on our own efforts in building our country.
- envy for (v.+prep.)
羡慕(某人)成功做(某事) envy at sb's success in doing sth
envy sb for sth/v-ing
They envied him for learning so easily.
He was envied for his success.
- envy sb's fortune 羡慕某人的好运
- envy journey 羡慕旅行
- envy sb's new house 羡慕某人的新居
- envy rich persons 忌妒〔羡慕〕有钱的人
- envy bitterly 辛酸地忌妒
- envy jealously 忌妒地羡慕
- envy malignantly 恶意地忌妒
- envy painfully 痛苦地忌妒
- envy privately 私下里忌妒
- envy secretly 暗地里羡慕
- envy sincerely 衷心地羡慕
- envy vilely 讨厌地忌妒
I noticed with envy that her legs were delicately tanned.出自： E. O
Daintry also envied him his wife; she was so rich, so decorative.出自： G. Greene
His many friends..envied his popularity.出自： C. Jackson
She wished she had a dog..and envied two young men with a small mongrel.出自： B. Pym
- envy, admire
- ［误］ How I admire you!I wish I could make my hair curl like that.
- ［正］ How I envy you! I wish I could make my hair curl like that.
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的envie，意为嫉妒，恶意地看。