- vt. 把…奉献(给),把…专用(于) set apart for; give completely to
give entirely to a specific person, activity, or cause;
"She committed herself to the work of God"
"give one's talents to a good cause"
"consecrate your life to the church"
"give thought to"
"give priority to"
"pay attention to"
set aside or apart for a specific purpose or use;
"this land was devoted to mining"
- You must devote your attention to your work.
- After he graduated, he continued to devote himself to the research.
- He devoted himself entirely to music.
- He started to study ecology and decided to devote his whole life to the science.
- He devoted a great sum of money to books.
- He is devoting his ability in his station.
- She devoted her young life.
- Can such a man be called a devoted friend?
- devote to (v.+prep.)
致力于… give (oneself) freely and with care to (sth)
devote sth to sb/sth/v-ing
The newspaper devoted a special column to a discussion of the problem of the world's population.
The newspaper devotes two pages to comics.
They agreed to devote part of the park to the playground.
They are all terribly busy men and cannot be expected to devote their time to this investigation.
He devotes his time to the garden.
Now she devoted most of the time to this work.
She devoted her life to the cause of peace.
He has been devoting his whole life to benefiting mankind.
Each nurse also devotes two evenings a week to studying medical literature in her field.
She devoted her life to helping homeless children.
He devoted every Saturday afternoon to fishing.
He devoted all his spare time to helping his students with their English.
She devoted too much time to dressing.
I have to devote part of my income to repaying my debts.
We should devote every effort to finding out the principle contradiction.
This magazine is devoted to science.
This department of the store is devoted to machine tools and engineering needs.
My lecture will be devoted to the study of aesthetics.
I should think the Welsh are the only people in the world whose only national festival is devoted to music and poetry.
Utterly devoted to the people, he gave his life in saving his patients.
We are quite devoted to the little girl.
Half of these plots are devoted to raising improved seeds.
这些土地的一半被用来培育良种。devote oneself/sb to sb/sth/v-ing
He devotes himself to his sick wife.
He devoted himself to his lessons.
Jim is devoted to his wife and family.
All the soldiers were devoted to their leader.
A true artist is devoted to his work.
- devote a sum 拨出专款
- devote all one's energy 投入全部精力
- devote more time 投入更多的时间
- devote much thought and ingenuity 投入更多的思想和才能
- devote one's abilities 奉献自己的才干
- devote one's attention 专注
- devote one's efforts 倾注全力
- devote one's knowledge 奉献自己的知识
- devote one's life 奉献出一生
- devote one's particular care 特别注意
- devote one's thoughts 专心思考
- devote twenty per cent of the gross national product 献出国民生产总值的20％
- devote assiduously 不懈地努力
- devote civilly 客气地献出
- devote disinterestedly 无私地奉献
- devote domestically 无私地奉献
- devote dumbly 愚蠢地奉献
- devote entirely 完全地奉献
- devote exclusively 全身心地投入
- devote faithfully 忠诚地奉献
- devote oneself whole-heartedly 全心全意地奉献
- devote profitably 有益地奉献
- devote properly 正确地投身
- devote solely 完全地投入
- devote unreservedly 毫无保留地奉献
- devote wholly 全心全意地投入
- devote for 专门用于…
- devote to 把…献给
- devote to arduous task 专心于艰苦的工作
- devote to children 照顾孩子
- devote to gardening 从事园艺
- devote to its inspection 对其视察
- devote to master's interest 为了其主人的利益
- devote to the duties of one's profession 忠于某人的职责
- devote to the good of the people 为了人民的利益
- devote to the study of economics 致力于经济学的研究
- devote to the study of science 致力于科学研究
All Christians are by their Baptism devoted to God.出自： W. Law
- 表示“忠于”“致力于”“献身于”时可用devote oneself to结构,也可用be devoted to结构。
- devote, dedicate
- 这两个词的共同意思是“贡献,奉献”。其区别在于:devote强调从个人的热情或愿望出发去干某事, dedicate包含有devote的意思,但重点是指从事一种庄严的、正式的、神圣的事业或工作。例如:
- He devoted the whole night to light music.他整个晚上都在听轻音乐。
- He dedicated his life to training students.他毕生都在培养学生。
误 He devotes his attention to study English.
正 He devotes his attention to studying English.
正 He devotes his attention to the study of English.
析 devote to后只能接名词或动名词作宾语,而不能接动词不定式。他把许多业余时间用在体育运动上。
误 He devoted much of his spare time for sports.
正 He devoted much of his spare time to sports.
析 “把…用在”应用devote...to, to和for不可以换用。她忠于职守。
误 She devoted to her duty.
正 She devoted herself to her duty.
正 She was devoted to her duty.
析 devote是及物动词,须接宾语,表示“忠于,献身于”等应用devote oneself to或be devoted to的形式。他把所有的钱都捐献给了那户穷苦人家。
误 He devoted all his money to the poor family.
正 He contributed all his money to the poor family.
- ☆ 16世纪80年代进入英语，直接源自古典拉丁语的devotus(devovere的过去分词)，意为沉迷，沉溺。