- 【物理学】“色”，“色”性，“色”态(夸克的假设特性) [亦作color]
- 给...着色，给...上色，给…涂色 ，染，使带上色彩
- [U]彩色 the quality in objects which can be seen
- [C]颜色 red, blue, green, etc.
- [S][U]脸色,气色 the general appearance of a person's skin
- [C]肤色 the color of a person's skin showing which race they belong to
- [U]特色,个性; 情调 details or behavior of a place, thing, or person, that interest the mind or eye and excite the imagination; character
- [C][U]颜料 substance used to give color to sth
- vi. 变红; 脸红 take on or change colour; become red in the face
- vt. 着色; 渲染 cause sth to have colour; give a special effect or feeling to (a person, event, etc.)
- any material used for its color;
"she used a different color for the trim"
- a race with skin pigmentation different from the white race (especially Blacks)
- (physics) the characteristic of quarks that determines their role in the strong interaction;
"each flavor of quarks comes in three colors"
- interest and variety and intensity;
"the Puritan Period was lacking in color"
"the characters were delineated with exceptional vividness"
- the timbre of a musical sound;
"the recording fails to capture the true color of the original music"
- a visual attribute of things that results from the light they emit or transmit or reflect;
"a white color is made up of many different wavelengths of light"
- an outward or token appearance or form that is deliberately misleading;
"he hoped his claims would have a semblance of authenticity"
"he tried to give his falsehood the gloss of moral sanction"
"the situation soon took on a different color"
- the appearance of objects (or light sources) described in terms of a person's perception of their hue and lightness (or brightness) and saturation
- having or capable of producing colors;
"he rented a color television"
"marvelous color illustrations"
- modify or bias;
"His political ideas color his lectures"
- decorate with colors;
"color the walls with paint in warm tones"
- give a deceptive explanation or excuse for;
"color a lie"
- affect as in thought or feeling;
"My personal feelings color my judgment in this case"
"The sadness tinged his life"
- add color to;
"The child colored the drawings"
"Fall colored the trees"
"colorize black and white film"
- change color, often in an undesired manner;
"The shirts discolored"
- She painted the window sills a bright colour.
- His dress is very similar to mine in colour.
- That colour doesn't suit your complexion.
- Colour is often an additive in foods.
- The printer will output colour graph.
- Children enjoy watching colour TV.
- The natives were intrigued with the colour of our skin.
- The wind of the autumn colour the maples carmine .
- He hashed a phrase in order to colour the sentence.
- News is often coloured.
- Don't allow personal loyalty to colour your judgement.
- A judge can't let personal feelings colour his decisions.
- The leaves start to colour in autumn.
- She coloured with embarrassment at his remarks.
I think the colour of the paint will blend in the wall very nicely.
The colour of these curtains approximates that of the rug.
The colour of the wall and the colour of the carpet will blend together.
This colour shows your complexion off to the best advantage.
The new colour is lighter, and the old paint shows through.
Will the colour in this material fade?
Why split hairs over the colour of the dress?
This colour lends warmth to the room, as it gets no natural sunlight.
This colour will last.
Take care to match the sewing thread with the cloth so that the stitches, being of the same colour, will not show.
Her husband mixed the colour for her.
The artist mixed blue with yellow paint to produce the colour green he wanted.
Sugar acquires a brown colour by being burnt.
You can stain the wood with this special liquid to give it a pleasing colour.
I want to paint my bed a bright colour.
A colour may kill another near it.
Do you think these two colours will blend together?
He painted some bees with little spots of colours.
These colours won't last if exposed to the sun.
I matched the colour of my sweater with the colour of my shirt.
The two colours jar.
Keep the background colours dark so that the main figure will show more clearly.
The colours go so very well together.
The bright colours engage a baby's attention.
The painter was busy mixing his colours.
You can adjust the colour on the TV by turning this knob.
I try my best to blend the colour of the paint (in) with the curtains.
Blue, red and yellow are colours.
Everything we see has colour.
Please sort these cards according to their colour.
The little girl paints nicely in water colours.
(Of) what colour is his new car?
(With) what colour shall I paint your door?
My car is (of) the same colour as yours.
The bright colours of the flowers arrested the girl's attention.
Insects are attracted to flowers by their colour, scent and nectar.
The painter evolved his ideas about the form and colour out of the work of an earlier artist.
The design of the building is well matched in colour.
The room is lacking in colour.
The azaleas made a mass of colour in the garden.
Do you like oil paintings or water colour?
The painter has left many water colour sketches that have won for him a significant place.
Our new neighbour is always flinging his money about, with his colour television and his new car every year.
They are saving up to buy a colour TV set.
The thieves couldn't shift any of those stolen colour televisions.
The price of the colour TV has jumped to five thousand yuan .
He is going with me to help me pick out a colour TV set.
She loves the life, noise, and colour of the market.
He lost colour during his illness.
The fever gave her a high colour.
The old lady became angry at the remarks and changed colour.
The clothes blends in with her colour of skin very much.
We raised our colours when we reached the top of the mountain.
There is a pirate ship under false colours on the sea.
He would rather die than lower his colours.
In the face of sharp criticisms the young scientist still stuck to his colours.
This only serves to expose more clearly their true colours.
The question was unexpected. She coloured very slightly.
As soon as he started arguing he coloured quickly.
The Cardinal coloured with vexation.
Either dye or paints are used to colour cloth.
Mary coloured her picture with pencils.
The child coloured all the shapes on the page with a crayon.
Personal feelings coloured his judgement.
The witness coloured his testimony.
Don't let your personal feelings colour your judgment.
She tried to colour her lie.
She tried to colour her nervousness as she waited to make her speech.
News is often coloured.
Travellers' tales are often highly coloured.
His criticisms are clearly coloured by hostility.
One's point of view is necessarily coloured by past experience.
He coloured the walls green.
He didn't like white, so he decided to colour the sheet green.
The soap was coloured a light blue.
The bird is coloured yellowish in the back, wings and tail.
The coloured flags are fluttering in the breeze.
The flame in the furnace can be looked at through coloured glasses.
- give a false colour to
歪曲 give a wrong character or tone
Newspapers often give a false colour to the news they reported. 报纸常常歪曲它们所报道的新闻。
The detective gives a false colour to this whole business. 这个侦探彻底地歪曲了整个事件。
He spent several weeks giving a false colour to the problem. 为了歪曲这一问题的事实,他花了几个星期。
You gave a false colour to the words he said. 你歪曲了他讲话的真实意图。
He gave a false colour to the facts to suit his own purposes. 他歪曲事实使其符合自己的目的。
- 歪曲 give a wrong character or tone
- give sb his colours
把某人选入运动队 choose sb to be one of sports team members
Tom finally was given his colours. 汤姆最终被选入运动队。
- 把某人选入运动队 choose sb to be one of sports team members
- haul down one's colours
妥协,投降,认输 yield; admit defeat
After several weeks of argument, the trade union leaders had to haul down their colours and accepted the government's earlier offer. 经过几周的辩论,工会领袖只好妥协,接受了政府早先提出的条件。
- 妥协,投降,认输 yield; admit defeat
- lay on the colours
No matter what he talks he likes to lay on the colours. 无论他谈些什么,他都喜欢夸大。
She always lays on the colours when she tells something she's done. 每当她谈及自己所做的事时,她总是言过其实。
People will not believe a man who always lays on the colours. 人们不会相信老是夸大的人。
He always lays on the colours to make his stories more amusing. 他总是用夸张的手法使他的故事更有趣。
- 夸大 exaggerate
- lend colour to
使显得更真实或更可信 make sth seem more likely
The wounds on the prisoner's arm lend colour to his story that he was beaten by his fellow criminals. 这个囚犯说他挨了同伙的打,胳膊上的伤令他的话显得更可信。
- 使显得更真实或更可信 make sth seem more likely
- lower one's colours
放弃要求 give up one's demand
Two hours later he lowered his colours. 两小时之后，他放弃了要求。
I asked him to lower his colours but he insisted. 我叫他放弃算了,但他却坚持。
They found it hard to justify their son's lowering his colours. 他们难以理解儿子竟然放弃了要求。
When he finally found out it was bad for him, he lowered his colours. 最后他发现这事对自己不利,就放弃了要求。
Well, you can lower your colours, there's no hope that we shall get it now! 得了,你就放弃要求吧,咱们别指望再得到它了。
- 放弃要求 give up one's demand
- nail colours to the mast
明确表示自己的观点; 阐明观点 declare one's opinion
The candidate nailed his colours to the mast on the question of civil rights. 那位候选人明确表示了他对民权问题的观点。
It's your turn to nail your colours to the mast. 该你阐述你的观点了。
- 明确表示自己的观点; 阐明观点 declare one's opinion
- off colour
色泽不佳; 身体不舒服 not in good health
That carpet is somewhat off colour. 那木匠身体不舒服。
The old lady looked a little off colour. 这老太太看起来气色不佳。
You are off colour; you'd better take a rest. 你气色不好,休息一下吧。
- 色泽不佳; 身体不舒服 not in good health
- put false colour upon
Don't believe him; he often puts false colour upon news. 不要相信他的话,他常常歪曲新闻。
- 歪曲 distort
- sail under false colours
冒充,欺骗 be a hypocrite or impostor
They entered the harbor by sailing under false colours. 他们靠欺骗入了港口。
- 冒充,欺骗 be a hypocrite or impostor
- see in its true colours
看清某事的真面目 see the truth of a thing see sth in its true colours
It's not easy to see the matter in its true colours.看清此事的真相不容易。
- 看清某事的真面目 see the truth of a thing see sth in its true colours
- see the colour of sb's money
接受某人的钱 receive one's money
Before reporting he saw the colour of the man's money. 报告前他接受了那个男人的钱。
- 接受某人的钱 receive one's money
- show one's true colour
露出真面目 show what one really is
At last he showed his true colour. 最后他露出了真面目。
- 露出真面目 show what one really is
- stick to one's colour
坚持自己的观点refuse to change one's opinion or party
Nobody agreed with him but he stuck to his colours. 没人同意他,但他坚持自己的观点。
- 坚持自己的观点refuse to change one's opinion or party
- with flying colours
出色地 outstanding; remarkable
The teacher judged his students have finished the exercises with flying colours. 老师估计学生们已出色地做完了练习。
Ignoring fatigue, they kept at the job and finished it three weeks quicker than planned with flying colours. 他们不顾疲劳地坚持工作,比计划提前三个星期出色地完成了任务。
After she finished her conversation with flying colours, she hung up. 她出色地谈完之后,把电话挂了。
The speaker hammered at his opponent's ideas with flying colours. 讲演人对其对手的主张不断地、出色地进行抨击。
We must have this work finished with flying colours by Monday. 我们一定要在星期一以前出色地完成这项工作。
Please honour your agreement by working until the project is finished with flying colours. 请遵守你们的协议,出色地完成这个项目。
If you had not interfered,I should have finished my work with flying colours by now. 要不是你打扰我的话,我现在早已出色地完成了我的工作。
- 出色地 outstanding; remarkable
- colour in (v.+prep.)
给…着色 fill in with colour colour in sth
The child was colouring in a series of outline drawings.这孩子在给一套素描着色。
- 给…着色 fill in with colour colour in sth
- colour up (v.+adv.)
变红; 脸红 become red in the face colour up
She coloured up at the young man's name.一提到那个青年男子的名字,她的脸就红了。
He coloured up with annoyance.他因愤怒而脸色变红。
夸大 exaggerate colour sth ⇔ up
Some journalists like to colour their stories up with alluring details of people's private lives.一些新闻记者喜欢用诱人的私生活细节来夸大故事。
- 变红; 脸红 become red in the face colour up
- add colour 添色
- alter〔turn〕 colour 改变颜色
- assume colour 呈一色
- blend colour 混合颜色
- change colour 变色
- gain〔lose〕 colour 脸色变得红润〔脸色变得苍白〕
- give〔lend〕 colour to 使…显得可信,给…增添色彩
- have a high colour 脸色红润
- match the colour of sth 与某物的颜色相称
- put in colours 着色
- wear colours 穿有色彩的衣服
- beautiful〔bright, clear〕 colour 美丽〔鲜明,清晰〕的颜色
- cold〔warm〕 colour 冷〔暖〕色
- fashionable〔prevalent〕 colour 流行色
- local〔political〕 colour 地方〔政治〕色彩
- organic colour 有机颜料
- pink colour 粉色
- protective colour 保护色
- rich colour 丰富的色彩
- soft colour 柔和的颜色
- tender colour 温柔的脸色
- tinting colour 着色颜料
- transparent colour 透明色彩
- watery colour 水彩色
- colour film〔photo〕 彩色电影〔照片〕
- film in colour 彩色电影
- in dark colours 悲观地
- people of all colours 各色人种
- under the colour of friendship 以友谊为借口
- without colour 不加渲染
- colour all the shapes 把所有的图形都涂上了颜色
- colour cloth 染布
- colour news 渲染消息
- colour one's testimony 歪曲证词
- colour tales 夸张故事
- colour the picture 给图画上色
- colour amusingly 染上令人吃惊的颜色
- colour angrily 染上令人生气的颜色
- colour brilliantly 染上明亮的颜色
- colour conspicuously 染上显而易见的颜色
- colour distinctly 染上截然不同的颜色
- colour emotionally 染上令人激动的颜色
- colour enchantingly 染上令人着迷的颜色
- colour exquisitely 染上精美的颜色
- colour faintly 染上暗淡的颜色
- colour garishly 染上鲜艳夺目的颜色
- colour gorgeously 染上华丽的颜色
- colour harmoniously 染上和谐的颜色
- colour highly 染上十分好的颜色
- colour incredibly 惊人地脸红
- colour lavishly 染上过分的颜色
- colour necessarily 必要地着色
- colour normally 正常地涂色
- colour obscurely 染上不清楚的颜色
- colour painfully 染上令人痛心的颜色
- colour synthetically 染上综合性的颜色
- colour unevenly 染上不均的颜色
- colour violently 猛劲地渲染
- colour up 脸红,夸大
Her hair..was a rich auburn colour.出自：Day Lewis
The colours the Duke preferred were gay and warm; no greens, blues, black or white.出自：E. Longford
Finish the picture by joining the dots...Colour it with crayons or felt-tips.出自：Church Times
Her dances are romantically coloring the world after nature.出自：Globe Mail (Toronto)
- colour用作名词时,意思是“颜色”“脸色”,由“颜色”转化成动词,意思是“着色”“渲染色彩”“受影响”; 由“脸色”转化成动词,可表示“脸红”,多用于口语,强调由于紧张而引起的情绪变化。colour有时也可用于指某物改变颜色，有时还可指“掩饰”。
- colour作“脸红”“变红”解时，是不及物动词,可与up, with等词连用; 作“着色”“渲染”解时是及物动词,可接简单宾语,也可接由形容词充当补足语的复合宾语，可用于被动结构。
- colours, banner, flag, standard
这组词的共同意思是“旗帜”。其区别在于:1.flag是旗帜的通称,主要指具体的旗,如国旗、军旗、校旗、团旗、队旗等,也可指交通、天气预报等的信号旗,是一般用语。2.banner通常指象征意义的旗帜,也可指锦旗、奖旗或用于游行的大幅标语、旗等,主要用于正式场合或诗歌中。例如:The banner of freedom was raised and the whole nation fought to drive out the invaders.自由的旗帜升起了,全国奋起战斗,把侵略者驱逐出去。The group was awarded a red banner for good work.这个小组工作出色,得了红旗奖。3.standard常作军旗用,特指骑兵队的旗,又可作为国家、政府、军队、主义、运动等的象征旗,是书面用语。例如:Two men carried the standard in the royal parade.在盛大的游行队伍中两个男子打着旗子。Carry our country's standard proudly!自豪地擎起我们的国旗!The dragon is the standard of China.龙是中国的象征。We must hold high the great standard of revolution.我们必须高举革命大旗。4.colours则指作为团体或学校标志的徽章、绶带、彩带、衣帽等。例如:We raised our colours when we reached the top of the mountain.当我们到达山顶的时候我们升起了我们的队旗。There is a pirate ship under false colours on the sea.海上有一只海盗船挂着假冒的旗帜航行。He would rather die than lower his colours.他宁死不屈。In the face of sharp criticisms the young scientist still stuck to his colours.面对着尖锐的批评这位青年科学家依然坚持自己的主张。
- colour, dye, paint, stain
这几个词的共同含义是“着色,染色”。其区别是：1.colour的意思最广泛,不管染色的深浅,不分使用什么染料,也不分给什么东西染色。用于比喻义,有“渲染,夸张”的意思,而dye, paint, stain没有此义。2.dye, paint指有意地“染色”。dye指使用染料永远地改变物体的颜色,如毛纺织品或头发等; paint指把颜料或涂料涂在墙壁、家具等物体表面,使用的材料是耐久的,有“描绘,画画”的倾向。例如:Black will dye over other colours.黑色能把大多数其他颜色染掉。This dress had been dyed several times.这件连衣裙已染过几次了。She dyed her hair red.她把头发染成红色。When will you paint the wall? 你们什么时候漆墙?We painted the house once, then we went over it again.我们把房间油漆了一遍,然后又打扫了一遍。The hero in the storybook was painted as a brave man.故事书中的主人公被描绘成一个勇敢的人。3.stain可以指由于使用疏忽或其他原因使物体染上并非本身所固有的颜色,因此有“变污”的意思。例如:This carpet stains easily, so try not to spill anything on it.这块地毯很容易弄脏,所以请尽量避免把东西溅到上面。She has stained the floorboards dark brown.她把地板漆成了深褐色。His crimes stained the family honor.他的罪行玷污了他家庭的名誉。4.dye, colour有“脸红”的意思, paint, stain则没有。例如:Deep blushes dyed her cheeks.她双颊透红。5.colour也可用作名词。
误 She likes red colour.
正 She likes colour red.
析 colour的意思是“颜色”, red的意思是“红颜色”,意思重复。正句中的red是colour的同位语。
误 The sky has the colour of the deep sea.
正 The sky is the colour of deep sea.
误 The baby ants are helped out of the cocoons, still pale at colour.
正 The baby ants are helped out of the cocoons, still pale in colour.
误 The car is red colour.
正 The car is of red colour.
正 The car is red.
误 The car is reddish-brown colour.
正 The car is a reddish-brown colour.
析 colour由表示颜色的词(如red, blue, green, etc.)修饰时,不能直接用在be之后,但可用“be of+red+colour”结构。如不用colour,直接用red等表示颜色的名词作表语,则可以直接用在be 之后,此时是省略了介词of。如果该颜色不常见,特别是复合词,有“一种…色”的描绘意味,则可直接修饰colour,其前还常加不定冠词a,这时也可看作用在be之后且省略of。
- ☆ 直接源自古法语的coolr，意为色泽，色彩，颜色。
- colour:colour n. (=color)颜色, 气色, 风格, 外貌vt. 把...涂颜色, 粉饰, 脸红, 歪曲vi. 变色习惯用语all the colours of the rainbow 五颜六色…