- n. 污点；瑕疵；着色剂；染料
- v. 弄脏；玷污；着色
- vt. & vi. (使)染色 (cause to) colour wood, fabrics, etc. with a substance that penetrates the material
- vi. 褪色; 变污 become discoloured or soiled
a soiled or discolored appearance;
"the wine left a dark stain"
(microscopy) a dye or other coloring material that is used in microscopy to make structures visible
the state of being covered with unclean things
a symbol of disgrace or infamy;
"And the Lord set a mark upon Cain"
an act that brings discredit to the person who does it;
"he made a huge blot on his copybook"
color with a liquid dye or tint;
"Stain this table a beautiful walnut color"
"people knew how to stain glass a beautiful blue in the middle ages"
produce or leave stains;
"Red wine stains the table cloth"
make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically;
"The silver was tarnished by the long exposure to the air"
"Her reputation was sullied after the affair with a married man"
color for microscopic study;
"The laboratory worker dyed the specimen"
- The stain on his shirt is difficult to clean off.
- It will remain an indelible stain on his memory.
- Such a man is a stain to humanity.
- There isn't a stain on her reputation.
- Wood stain is one of the most important painting material in coating of American style furniture.
- How much stain should I buy for the table?
- These carpets won't stain easily.
- He stained the family honor.
- It was widely used by cytologists to stain chromosomes.
- Does this material stain easily?
- White clothes stain quickly.
- This carpet stains easily, so try not to spill anything on it.
- Stain the table before you varnish it.
- His crimes stained the family honour.
- He stained the wood brown.
- She has stained the floorboards dark brown.
- stain with (v.+prep.)
玷污 spoil sth with sth badHe has stained the good honour of his family with the guilt of his crime.他的犯罪行为玷污了他家的名声。
- stain the family honour 玷污家庭的名誉
- stain the floorboards 给地板漆色
- stain the table 给桌子着色
- stain the wood 给木料染色
The stain on the ceiling where a bath had overflowed upstairs.出自： Julia Hamilton
His forefinger..was stained with tobacco juice.出自： V. Woolf
The great corpse staining the sea crimson.出自： A. C. Clarke
- stain, colour, dye, paint
- 1.colour的意思最广泛,不管染色的深浅,不分使用什么染料,也不分给什么东西染色。用于比喻义,有“渲染,夸张”的意思,而dye, paint, stain没有此义。
- 2.dye, paint指有意地“染色”。dye指使用染料永远地改变物体的颜色,如毛纺织品或头发等; paint指把颜料或涂料涂在墙壁、家具等物体表面,使用的材料是耐久的,有“描绘,画画”的倾向。例如:
- Black will dye over other colours.黑色能把大多数其他颜色染掉。
- This dress had been dyed several times.这件连衣裙已染过几次了。
- She dyed her hair red.她把头发染成红色。
- When will you paint the wall? 你们什么时候漆墙?
- We painted the house once, then we went over it again.我们把房间油漆了一遍,然后又打扫了一遍。
- The hero in the storybook was painted as a brave man.故事书中的主人公被描绘成一个勇敢的人。
- This carpet stains easily, so try not to spill anything on it.这块地毯很容易弄脏,所以请尽量避免把东西溅到上面。
- She has stained the floorboards dark brown.她把地板漆成了深褐色。
- His crimes stained the family honor.他的罪行玷污了他家庭的名誉。
- 4.dye, colour有“脸红”的意思, paint, stain则没有。例如:
- Deep blushes dyed her cheeks.她双颊透红。