- [U]煤炭 black mineral found below the ground, used for burning to supply heat and to make coal gas
- [C]煤块 a piece of coal
fossil fuel consisting of carbonized vegetable matter deposited in the Carboniferous period
a hot fragment of wood or coal that is left from a fire and is glowing or smoldering
burn to charcoal;
"Without a drenching rain, the forest fire will char everything"
supply with coal
take in coal;
"The big ship coaled"
- He put a shovel of coal on to the fire.
- The country is rich in oil and coal.
- Coal can be converted to gas.
- I'm in charge of discharging a large amount of charcoal and coal at the coal mine.
- The workers were coaling the ship when he came back.
- Ships coal at Gibraltar.
- The ship called at Boston to coal.
- The big ship coaled.
- The ship stopped at Shanghai to take in coal.
- Put some more coal on the fire.
- He signed a contract to haul coal for the mine owner.
- They extract 10,000,000 tons of coal each year.
- He made a fortune in the coal and iron business.
- Fushun is the home of coal.
- A coal fell from the fire and burned the carpet.
- There were red coals in the grate.
- To offer him money is to carry coals to Newcastle; he is already very wealthy.
- call〔haul〕 over the coals
call〔haul〕 sb over the coals
I daren't be late for work again or director will call me over the coals.
The teacher called the student over the coals for being cheated in the examination.
Margaret was called over the coals for losing of the important documents.
You will be hauled over the coals for going out and leaving the door unlocked.
- burn coal 烧煤
- extract coal 采煤
- haul coal 装煤
- produce coal 产煤
- ship coal 运煤
- shovel coal 用铲子铲煤
- stoke coal 加煤
- transport coal 运输煤
- black coal 烟煤
- blind coal 无烟煤
- glowing coal 灼热的煤块儿
- hard coal 无烟煤
- hot coal 灼热的煤块儿
- live coal 燃烧着的煤
- raw coal 原煤
- red coal 烧红的煤块儿
- soft coal 烟煤
A..sloop which was coaling for a cruise in the Persian Gulf.出自： E. Waugh
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的col，意为碳，活煤。