- [U]煤炭 black mineral found below the ground, used for burning to supply heat and to make coal gas
- [C]煤块 a piece of coal
- fossil fuel consisting of carbonized vegetable matter deposited in the Carboniferous period
- a hot fragment of wood or coal that is left from a fire and is glowing or smoldering
- burn to charcoal;
"Without a drenching rain, the forest fire will char everything"
- supply with coal
- take in coal;
"The big ship coaled"
- He put a shovel of coal on to the fire.
- The country is rich in oil and coal.
- Coal can be converted to gas.
- I'm in charge of discharging a large amount of charcoal and coal at the coal mine.
- The workers were coaling the ship when he came back.
- Ships coal at Gibraltar.
- The big ship coaled.
The ship stopped at Shanghai to take in coal.
Put some more coal on the fire.
He signed a contract to haul coal for the mine owner.
They extract 10,000,000 tons of coal each year.
He made a fortune in the coal and iron business.
Fushun is the home of coal.
A coal fell from the fire and burned the carpet.
There were red coals in the grate.
To offer him money is to carry coals to Newcastle; he is already very wealthy.
- call〔haul〕 over the coals
责备,申斥accuse call〔haul〕 sb over the coals
I daren't be late for work again or director will call me over the coals.我上班再不敢迟到了,不然主任会责备我的。
The teacher called the student over the coals for being cheated in the examination.老师训斥这个学生在考试中作弊。
Margaret was called over the coals for losing of the important documents.玛格雷特因弄丢了那份重要的文件而备受责备。
You will be hauled over the coals for going out and leaving the door unlocked.你该挨骂了,出门时不锁门。
- 责备,申斥accuse call〔haul〕 sb over the coals
- burn coal 烧煤
- extract coal 采煤
- haul coal 装煤
- produce coal 产煤
- ship coal 运煤
- shovel coal 用铲子铲煤
- stoke coal 加煤
- transport coal 运输煤
- black coal 烟煤
- blind coal 无烟煤
- glowing coal 灼热的煤块儿
- hard coal 无烟煤
- hot coal 灼热的煤块儿
- live coal 燃烧着的煤
- raw coal 原煤
- red coal 烧红的煤块儿
- soft coal 烟煤
A..sloop which was coaling for a cruise in the Persian Gulf.出自：E. Waugh
- carry coals to Newcastle的意思是“多此一举,做徒劳无功的事”,源于as common as coals from Newcastle(跟纽卡索的煤一样不稀奇)。纽卡索是英国的主要产煤区,故云。
- haul over the coals的意思是“责备,申斥”，源于中世纪对异教徒的处置,那时国王和贵族向犹太人索要钱财时常将其在烧着的煤火上拖过,直至交出钱财。这个成语现在常用作call over the coals。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的ocl，意为碳，活煤。
- coal:coal n. 煤v. 加煤习惯用语a cold coal to blow at 无成功希望的工作as black as coal 其黑如煤blind coal 无烟煤blow hot coals 暴…