- [U]牛肉 meat from a cow
- [U]力量 physical strength; power
- [C]抱怨; 牢骚 complaint
- vt 抱怨 complain
cattle that are reared for their meat
meat from an adult domestic bovine
informal terms for objecting;
"I have a gripe about the service here"
"What was he hollering about?"
- Do you like stewed beef?
- Africa is exporting beef to Europe.
- He's got plenty of beef.
- My beef is that it took too much time.
- He is forever beefing about that.
- I 've never quite understood why people beef about the price of dinner.
- We need new young players to beef up the team.
- There's cold beef going.
- Which do you like better, beef or pork?
- How much beef did she buy?
- She bought two jin of beef in supermarket.
- We have bought ten beeves〔beefs〕 from Iowa .
- Come on, put some beef into the job!
- You should put beef into your work.
- My main beef is that it went on too long.
- Bob is a boy with a great deal of beef.
- beef about (v.+prep.)
抱怨 complain; grumble
beef about sth
She never beefed about her miserable life.
Stop beefing about your pay and do some work!
- beef up (v.+adv.)
〈非正〉加强 reinforce the army
It's quite a good story but it needs beefing up a bit before we can publish it.
这是个相当好的故事,但还要充实一下我们才能发表。beef sth ⇔ up
That was seen as a campaign to beef up American forces in Europe.
The colony's garrison was now beefed up to about forty thousand service personnel.
- baked beef 烤牛肉
- chipped beef 熏牛肉片
- cold beef 冷牛肉
- corned beef 腌制的牛肉
- dried beef 牛肉干
- prime beef 上等牛肉
- rare beef 三成熟牛肉
- roast beef 烤牛肉
- smoked beef 熏牛肉
As from his cattle, the beef had dwindled from the man, but he was still large.出自： P. V. White
We..were..putting all the beef we could behind it.出自： R. M. Patterson
The Defense Department required no persuasion that the defense of Europe needed, in their phrase, 'beefing up'.出自： D. Acheson
I'd brought a half bottle of whisky..which we used to beef up the coffee.出自： I. Banks
- beef用作动词是美国俚语,与about连用,意思是“抱怨”; 与up连用,意思是“加强”。
误 The beef is rich proteins.
正 Beef is rich in proteins.他雇了两个身强力壮的人当保镖。
误 He has hired as his bodyguards two men with plenty of beefs.
正 He has hired as his bodyguards two men with plenty of beef.
误 Beef I had at supper was very delicious.
正 The beef I had at supper was very delicious.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的boef，意为牛，牛肉。