- v. (指内燃机等)逆火；适得其反；产生事与愿违的结果
- n. 逆火；后爆的巨大响声
the backward escape of gases and unburned gunpowder after a gun is fired
a loud noise made by the explosion of fuel in the manifold or exhaust of an internal combustion engine
a fire that is set intentionally in order to slow an approaching forest fire or grassfire by clearing a burned area in its path
a miscalculation that recoils on its maker
come back to the originator of an action with an undesired effect;
"Your comments may backfire and cause you a lot of trouble"
emit a loud noise as a result of undergoing a backfire;
"My old car backfires all the time"
set a controlled fire to halt an advancing forest to prairie fire
- The car/engine backfired noisily.
- Even our most carefully laid plans may backfire.
- Europe finds that trade retaliation can backfire.
- A too-strict eating plan will backfire.