- [U]怒气,怒火 strong feeling of displeasure and hostility
- vt. & vi. (使)发怒; 激怒 (cause to) fill (sb) with anger; make angry
a strong emotion; a feeling that is oriented toward some real or supposed grievance
the state of being angry
belligerence aroused by a real or supposed wrong (personified as one of the deadly sins)
"The news angered him"
"He angers easily"
- His charges were met with cries of anger.
- His face was inflamed with anger.
- He was inflamed with anger.
- She felt anger rise in her heart.
- The eagle is eager to anger the tiger in danger.
- We don't want to anger the people who don't approve of nationalization.
- He was roused to anger by the insult.
- His anger is an affair of no consequence.
- Her anger is not genuine; she is only acting.
- His anger blazed forth.
- His sudden anger died.
- Her mother's anger died away.
- His anger has died down a bit.
- It was not long time before his anger melted.
- At these insolent words her anger rose.
- He gave his fierce anger.
- Don't draw his anger down.
- He soon forgot his anger and came round.
- She just said it to vent her anger.
- She dared the anger of his family.
- I can't describe my anger in words.
- She wanted to cry her grief and anger all away.
- The Black people were grateful to have found a way to express their anger and bitterness.
- I never saw him show jealousy, vanity, bitterness, anger, resentment, or personal ambition.He seemed immune to these emotions.
- He doubled up his fists in anger.
- She hit the child in anger.
- They quarrelled in hot anger.
- Don't joke with a man in anger.
- He gritted his teeth in anger at the insult.
- We sometimes do things in anger that we are sorry for afterwards.
- She was shouting in anger.
- In anger he broke a beautiful vase.
- He was fearful of her anger.
- She tore the letter to pieces in a moment of anger.
- He always regrets the things he says and does in a moment of anger.
- In a moment of anger I hit my little brother.
- He said that in a fit of anger.Don't take it to heart.
- He is prone to anger.
- She is swift to anger.
- He is quivering with anger.
- Brooks burned with silent anger because his father would not let him use the car.
- She became purple with anger.
- His face was red with anger.
- Dark-red in the face with anger, he jumped up.
- I saw the boys throwing stones at the dog,I was filled with anger.
- She was behind herself with anger when she was told about it.
- He was seething with anger when he was reading the letter.
- He angers easily.
- She always angers with little or no provocation.
- Her cruel words angered him.
- The man's unpleasant familiar behaviour angered the girl.
- His bad behaviour was such as to anger everyone.
- The little boy's mischief angered his parents.
- Ade's reckless driving angered his father.
- It angered me that they had not kept their promise.
- He is easily angered.
- She was angered at the insult.
- They were angered at the resolution.
- The workers were all angered at the decision.
- Jacelin was greatly angered by his brother's ingratitude.
- He was angered by the selfishness of the others.
- more in sorrow than in anger
更多的是悲伤〔悔恨〕而不是愤恨 sadly rather than angrily
- appease sb's anger 使某人息怒
- arouse sb's anger 使某人发火
- calm sb's anger 使某人息怒
- cause sb's anger 使某人发火
- contain one's anger 抑制怒火
- control one's anger 抑制怒火
- express anger 表示愤怒
- feel anger 感到愤怒
- hold back anger 抑制恼怒
- refrain anger 抑制恼怒
- repress one's anger 抑制怒火
- show anger 显出怒容
- swallow one's anger 抑制怒火
- vent anger 发泄怒火
- blind anger 盲目的愤怒
- burning anger 强烈的愤怒
- deep anger 大怒
- great anger 大怒
- hot anger 盛怒
- profound anger 大怒
- silent anger 暗自生气
- suppressed anger 被压抑的怒火
- unbridled anger 狂怒
- in anger 气冲冲地,愤怒地
- part in anger 愤怒地分手
- a fit of anger 一阵愤怒
- to anger 发怒
- through the anger 因愤怒
- with anger 愤怒地
- burn with anger 怒火中烧
- shake with violent anger 气愤得发抖
- anger easily 易发怒
It anger'd Turenne..To see a footman kick'd that took his pay.出自： Pope
You have both pleased and angered me.出自： S. Johnson
It angers me when people..depreciate the Spaniards.出自： Southey
Some Englishmen were angered at his supposed desertion of the French.出自： A. J. P. Taylor
- anger用作名词表示的是主体在认为某人〔行为,事实〕不公正或不道德时,或者在受委屈或被激惹时由于气愤心理而引发的一种感情冲动,即“怒”“愤怒”。这种愤怒可以是较为稳定的,也可以是较短期爆发的; 可以是有控制的,也可以是失控的; 可以是有明显外部表现的,也可以是隐藏在心底的; 可以是正当的,有理由的,也可以是无缘无故的,甚至是毫无道理的。
- anger用作及物动词时一般以物作主语,宾语通常是人。当人作主语时,常用于be ～ed结构,与介词at, by连用表示“因〔由于〕…而发怒”。
- anger, fury, indignation, rage
- 1.从“愤怒”的程度上说, anger表示的是各种程度的“怒”,可能表现出来,也可能有所控制; rage已超过中等强度,属强烈发作,且已不能自控,即“大怒”; fury之怒更为强烈,已近疯狂,即“狂怒”“暴怒”。例如:
- Though he felt his anger mounting, he kept perfect control of himself.虽然他越来越生气,但他还是很好地控制住自己。
- In his rage, he tore the letter to pieces.他大发雷霆,把信撕得粉碎。
- In his fury, he banged his fist on the table.盛怒之下,他用拳头敲桌子。
- 2.从引起“愤怒”的原因上说：anger, rage, fury这三个词既可以是当怒的,也可以是不当怒的; 可以是与自己有关的,也可以是与自己无关的。而indignation则着重指出由于正义感而对卑鄙行径、不光彩行为或不正之风等所表示出来的“义愤”,且可与自己无直接关系。例如:
- They expressed great indignation at the ruthless exploitation of the colonialists.他们对殖民主义者的残酷剥削表示了极大的义愤。
- He cannot control his anger.
- He cannot check his anger.
- He can hardly contain his anger.
- He was carried away by his anger.
- anger, enrage, incense, madden
- 1.从“(使)愤怒”的程度上说：anger表示的是各种程度的“怒”; enrage和incense则到了发火的程度,即“大怒”; madden语气最强,即“狂怒”。
- 2.从“(使)愤怒”的原因上说：anger最普通,可以是当怒的,也可以是不当怒的; incense指被过分的事物所激怒; enrage指被逗弄等所激怒; madden则主要指受到侮辱而发怒。
- 3.从表现上说：anger的怒可外露,也可隐藏于心中; 其余几个词则多有明显的外部表现。例如:
- Her words angered him very much.她的话使他生气极了。
- He was incensed by her casual attitude to his mother's death.见到她对他母亲的去世那么漫不经心,他气坏了。
- The child's teasing enraged the animal.那孩子把那头动物逗得大怒。
- He maddened at the thought of how he had been betrayed.他一想起自己被出卖的情形就勃然大怒。
- ☆ 1200年左右进入英语，直接源自古北欧语的angra，意为悲伤，愤怒。
- rage v.