- adj. 广泛的；广阔的；睁得大的；渊博的；偏离目标的
- adv. 张的很大地；广阔地；没有完全获胜把握
- 远离目标的， 远离的
- 【板】歪球 ，坏球，远离柱门的投球（打击方得一分）
- Widely Integrated Distributed Environments，拓宽的集成分布环境
- 宽的,宽阔的 measuring a large amount from side to side or edge to edge
- 范围大的,广泛的 covering or including a large range of things
- 完全张开的 fully open
- 广大地,广阔地 a great distance from side to side
- 远离目标地 (in sport) far away from the right point
having great (or a certain) extent from one side to the other;
"a wide necktie"
"three feet wide"
"a river two miles broad"
"a broad river"
broad in scope or content;
"across-the-board pay increases"
"an all-embracing definition"
"blanket sanctions against human-rights violators"
"an invention with broad applications"
"a panoptic study of Soviet nationality"
"granted him wide powers"
(used of eyes) fully open or extended;
"stared with wide eyes"
very large in expanse or scope;
"a broad lawn"
"the wide plains"
"a spacious view"
great in degree;
"won by a wide margin"
having ample fabric;
"the current taste for wide trousers"
"a full skirt"
not on target;
"the kick was wide"
"the arrow was wide of the mark"
"a claim that was wide of the truth"
with or by a broad space;
"stand with legs wide apart"
"ran wide around left end"
to the fullest extent possible;
"open your eyes wide"
"with the throttle wide open"
far from the intended target;
"the arrow went wide of the mark"
"a bullet went astray and killed a bystander"
to or over a great extent or range; far;
"wandered wide through many lands"
"he traveled widely"
- He is a man of wide interests.
- The paper has a wide readership.
- Computers have been brought into wide use.
- The Asiatic plains are very wide.
- A wide stretch of land spreaded in front of us.
- She stared at him with eyes wide.
- He opened his eyes wide in surprise.
- He has wide knowledge on the subject.
- He has a wide knowledge of painting and music.
- The bullet was wide of the mark.
- The arrow fell wide of its mark.
- The shot went wide.
- Open your mouth wide when you pronounce this sound.
- Open your mouth wide, so that I may see clearly what's wrong with your teeth.
- The flowers spread their fragrance far and wide.
- His reputation has spread far and wide.
- With the championship wide open, this weekend's games are crucial.
- He admired the city's wide streets.
- There are many wide highways in the province.
- His interests spanned a wide range of subjects.
- This shop sells a wide variety of goods.
- She is a woman of wide reading.
- There is a wide gap between the views of the two statesmen.
- She stared at him with wide eyes.
- The bridge is about ten metres wide.
- The garden is ten yards wide.
- The gap between the poor and rich is very wide indeed.
- His answer was wide of mark.
- His guess was wide of the mark.
- His remark is wide of truth.
- It lies wide of all other forts.
- This is wide from purpose.
- The gate isn't wide enough to get the car through.
- The stream is too wide for me to jump across.
- He stood with his legs wide apart.
- The window was wide open.
- Open your mouth wide.
- The arrow fell wide.
- The ball went wide.
- give a wide berth
与…保持距离 remain at a safe distance from sb/sth
give sb/sth a wide berth
He's so boring that I always try to give him a wide berth at parties.
- three feet wide3 英尺宽
- wide from the purpose 离目的很远
It is better to dwell in a corner..then with a braulinge woman in a wyde house.出自：Bible (Coverdale): Proverbs
The train moved into wide, horizonless steppe-land.出自： M. Moorcock
The dolphins hadn't been brought up in the big wide underwater world.出自：Commercials
He welcomes disorder and confusion, would let them range wide over the earth.出自： G. W. Knight
- wide, broad
- 1.用于具体意义表示“宽”时,没有绝对区别,可以相互代替,但broad侧重于面积的广阔,尤指比一般的面积广大; wide强调从一边到另一边的距离远。如:broad street和wide street都指“宽阔的街”,但broad street强调街面的宽大(车辆可以自由往来); wide street强调街两边的距离远(穿行不便)。又如:broad river强调河面的广阔(水天一色); wide river强调两岸的距离远(渡河时费力)。
- 2.表示人的肩背和胸宽时,都只能用broad,不可用wide; 而表示人的眼和嘴大时可用wide,不可用broad。例如:
- ［误］ He has wide shoulders.
- ［正］ He has broad shoulders.
- broad discussion 畅所欲言的自由讨论
- wide discussion 项目繁多的广泛讨论
- wide, widely
- wide通常表示范围或程度的极点, widely通常表示范围或程度的广大。例如:
- He opened the door wide.
- He has travelled widely.
误 His eyes were wide for fear.
正 His eyes were wide with fear.
析 be wide with是固定搭配,其中介词不能用for。说男子比妇女更有力量是一个笼统的结论。
误 It is a wide generalization to say that men are stronger than women.
正 It is a broad generalization to say that men are stronger than women.
析 a wide generalization是“广泛的结论”,表示这个结论的适用面广; 而a broad generalization是“笼统的结论”,表示这是一个概括性高但忽略了一些例外而得出的结论。
误 He is very awake.
正 He is wide awake.
析 be wide awake意为“十分清醒”,是固定用法。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的wid，意为宽广的。
- widely adv. 广泛地; 普遍地; 到处; 大量地; 在很大程度上