activity involved in maintaining something in good working order;
"he wrote the manual on car care"
the act of sustaining life by food or providing a means of subsistence;
"they were in want of sustenance"
"fishing was their main sustainment"
- I can't afford the upkeep of a large house and garden.
- Britain has decided that it can no longer afford the upkeep of Greenwich Mean Time.
- The car casts five thousand dollars a year in upkeep.
- Our taxes help pay for the upkeep of the city's parks.
- He earned his own upkeep at a very early age.