- vt. & vi. (使)坐 rest on the lower part of the body, with the weight off the feet
- vi. (动物或鸟)栖息; 伏窝 (of an animal or bird) be or go into a position with the tail end of the body resting on a surface
be around, often idly or without specific purpose;
"The object sat in the corner"
"We sat around chatting for another hour"
take a seat
be in session;
"When does the court of law sit?"
assume a posture as for artistic purposes;
"We don't know the woman who posed for Leonardo so often"
sit and travel on the back of animal, usually while controlling its motions;
"She never sat a horse!"
"Did you ever ride a camel?"
"The girl liked to drive the young mare"
be located or situated somewhere;
"The White House sits on Pennsylvania Avenue"
work or act as a baby-sitter;
"I cannot baby-sit tonight; I have too much homework to do"
show to a seat; assign a seat for;
"The host seated me next to Mrs. Smith"
serve in a specific professional capacity;
"the priest sat for confession"
"she sat on the jury"
- He sat at his desk working.
- The students sit in a circle on the floor.
- There is a sparrow sitting on a branch.
- Sit yourself down and tell us what happened.
- Would you like a sit on the deck-chair?
- Chickens sit on a roost at night.
- Let's sit together.
- Come and sit here.
- Are you sitting comfortably?
- That hen wants to sit.
- There was a bird sitting on the branch.
- I'm going to sit tight till I hear what they are going to do next.
- Parliament will sit in the autumn.
- In a fortnight the House will be sitting.
- The House of Commons was still sitting at 3 a.m.
- The rider sits well.
- He sat there (as) a guest.
- She sat motionless, waiting for their decision.
- She sat silent in her own room.
- With profits up 150% the company is sitting pretty.
- We sat cross-legged on the blanket-covered kang .
- The books sat unread on the shelf for years.
- She sat drinking her beer.
- Don't just sit watching, come and help me!
- She sat the baby on the grass.
- All of them will sit an exam.
- sit about〔around〕 (v.+adv.)
懒洋洋地闲坐sit doing nothing in particular
I wish I could just sit about and dream.
The children sat about on the grass.
He just sits around and does nothing all day.
Most people in this office just sit around with nothing to do.
They seemed to spend most of their time sitting around in bars.
I got tired of sitting around waiting, so I went home.
- sit at (v.+prep.)
坐,在…坐 rest in a position with the upper body upright and supported at the bottom of the back
sit at sth
He sat at his desk working.
The child is not big enough to sit at table yet.
- sit back (v.+adv.)
袖手旁观keep out of the way; become a spectatorDo you expect me to sit back and do nothing?你希望我袖手旁观啥也不管吗?
- sit beside (v.+prep.)
坐在…的旁边 seat beside
sit beside sb/sth
He came over and sat beside me.
- sit by1 (v.+adv.)
袖手旁观 look on with folded arms; look on unconcerned
Don't just sit by while the other children are all busy.
- sit by2 (v.+prep.)
坐在…的旁边 seat beside
sit by sth
We sat by the fire and chatted.
She set the table and the two of them sat by the stove to enjoy a good hot meal together.
- sit down (v.+adv.)
坐下take a seat or a resting position after standing
Ask them to sit down.
After standing for so long, it was a pleasure to sit down and rest.
站了那么久以后坐下来休息真是件美事。sit down to sth
We sat down to a wonderful meal prepared by my uncle.
Both sides in the disagreement are prepared to sit down to long talks if necessary.
如有必要的话,争执的双方都准备坐下来进行长时间的谈判。sit down with sth
I can't sit down with that insult.
- sit for (v.+prep.)
参加(考试等) take part in (examination, etc.)
sit for sth
More students than ever before have sat for their law examinations this years.
He sat for his examinations as a co-pilot.
She sat for a scholarship but failed to win it.
- sit in (v.+adv.)
出席,列席,旁听attend without taking an active part
sit in with sb
He sits in with the patients while the nurse has a rest.
他在护士休息时,照看病人。sit in for sb
He's sitting in for his friend today.
As the consul-general is away, one of the consuls is sitting in for him.
由于总领事不在,一个领事代理他的工作。sit in at sth
Some of the students are sitting in at the Faculty Office.
The students sat in at the administrative building to protest against racial discrimination.
In protest against the wages cut, the workmen decided on sitting in at the factory.
We're having a conference and we'd like you to sit in.
我们将举行一次会议,希望你来旁听。sit in on sth
They decided to sit in on the discussion.
I'd like you to sit in on this meeting.
When I was doing teaching practice, people often sit in on my lessons.
A group of foreign visitors came to sit in on our English class yesterday.
We sat in on classes and had discussions with the students.
Friends of the band who give their support may sit in on practices.
- sit on1 (v.+adv.)
继续坐continue to sit
The group of demonstrators sat on till morning.
She sat on until someone agreed to help.
- sit on2 (v.+prep.)
占议席; 当代表 have a position in an official body
sit on sb/sth
The committee sat on him.
We cadres are ordinary workers and not overlords sitting on the backs of the people.
They are sitting on that particular idea.
Jenkins sat on those students' applications for a month.
The shop has been sitting on my complaint for more than three months.
It's time you had a reply.
That big corporation tried to bribe the press to sit on the story.
I don't like being sat on by the authorities.
我不喜欢为当局所摆布。sit on sb/sth
I'll sit on the stuff for a few days.
我将看守几天东西。sit on sth
The clock has sat on that shelf for years.
The house sits high on a hill overlooking a lake.
房子高高地坐落在俯瞰一片湖水的小山上。sit on the fence
Sitting on the fence will not do.
They sat on the fence during the dispute.
在辩论时,他们两边都不参与。sit on sth
A number of distinguished professors sat on the committee.
He used to represent the Democrats but he now sits on the council as an Independent.
Please don't ask me to sit on any more committees this year,I already have my face share of meetings.
This was only one of the many bodies on which he had sat during his life of public service.
- sit out (v.+adv.)
不参加某种活动not take part in certain activities
They sat out until the sun went in.
Let's go and sit out, shall we?
我们出去坐好吗?sit sb/sth ⇔ out
They sat out the play.
He sat out all the other guests.
I decided to sit out the rest of the film,I wasn't especially enjoying it, but my friends were.
When I go to a concert I like to sit out the whole thing, and not to go home half way.
We had to sit a long speech out yesterday afternoon.
昨天下午我们不得不把一个冗长的演说听到底。sit sth ⇔ out
I'll sit this dance out.
May I sit this one out?
Let's sit this one out, shall we?I'm afraid I tango very badly.
The general sat out the war in a nice safe office in the home base.
The injured left forward was compelled to sit out the rest of the play.
He sat out the 2001 presidential campaign.
- sit round (v.+prep.)
围着…就座 be seated round sth
sit round sth
Let's sit round the table.
They were all sitting round the fire.
- sit up (v.+adv.)
〈口〉引起注意,用心听; 警觉,诧异,关注take notice
He told the children to sit up and not slouch.
他告诉孩子们坐直,别无精打采的。sit sb/sth ⇔ up
She sat the baby up and tried feeding him.
The nurse tried now and then to sit me up while I was lying in bed in hospital.
The little girl sat all her dolls up.
We don't allow the children to sit up late.
The doctor warned his patient not to sit up late at night.
医生告诫他的病人晚上不要熬夜。sit up with sb
The mother sat up all night with the sick child.
She sat up with her husband.
Mother, please don't sit up with me,I don't like to think that you're worrying about me.
I sat up with her, discussing her problems.
我一直陪她坐到深夜,谈论她的问题。sit up for sb
She sat up for her husband.
Mrs. Smith always sits up for her daughter no matter how late it may be.
不管多晚,史密斯夫人总是不睡觉等候女儿回来。sit up into sth
He sat up far into the night and studied.
At first the boy had not seemed much interested in what the teacher was saying, but when the teacher called him, he began to sit up.
I call him a damned hypocrite and that made him sit up.
These new crime statistics should make people sit up.
- sit with (v.+prep.)
对…合适; 被…接受 be fit for sth; be accepted
sit with sb
A neighbour's daughter sat with the children.
一个邻居的女儿帮助照料孩子们。sit with sb/sth
The painting sits well with the rest of the room, doesn't it?
The decision did not sit well with the rest of the committee, who had voted against it.
How did your story sit with your mother?
- sit six people 坐六个人
- sit alone 独自坐着
- sit still 安静地坐着
- sit tight 稳坐不动,毫不动摇
- sit calmly 静静地坐下
- sit daringly 大胆地坐下
- sit dejectedly 沮丧地坐下
- sit desperately 绝望地坐下
- sit grotesquely 古怪地坐下
- sit habitually 惯常地坐下
- sit ignominiously 不光彩地坐下
- sit inscrutably 高深莫测地坐下
- sit about〔around〕 懒洋洋地闲坐,坐着不吭声
- sit back 向后靠着坐,不动,旁观
- sit down 就座,扎营,降落
- sit oneself down 自行就座
- sit out 坐在一旁
- sit out the next dance 不跳下一场舞
- sit out the whole play 看完整出戏
- sit over 坐过去一点
- sit up 直起身来,熬夜
- sit up all night 彻夜不眠
- sit up late 晚睡
- sit back from the road 坐落在离大路有一段距离的地方
- sit down at a piano 坐下弹钢琴
- sit down in a chair 在椅子上坐下
- sit down to a meal 坐下就餐
- sit out in the garden 到外面的花园坐
- sit at one's feet 拜某人为师,追随某人
- sit beside 坐在某人的身边
- sit by the window 坐在窗旁
- sit for 为…而坐着摆好姿势
- sit for an examination 参加考试
- sit in classes 听课
- sit on 坐(骑)在…上,搁置,当…的一员
- sit on a bench 坐在长凳上
- sit on eggs (鸡)孵蛋
- sit on pins and needles 如坐针毡
- sit through (无兴趣而强忍着)坐着听完
- sit through a performance 看完演出
- sit through the speech 不得不听完演说
- sit to an artist 坐着由画家画像
- sit under sb twice a week 一星期听某人的两次课
- sit upon shoulder 落在肩上
- sit with sb all night 整夜守护某人
Volodya..was sitting on a wooden chair.出自： P. Fitzgerald
Gildas..was sitting at the piano.出自： I. Murdoch
- sit at, sit in, sit on
- 1.当宾语是table, desk时用介词at; 当宾语是chair, bench, sofa, branch, ground时用介词on; 当宾语是armchair时用介词in。
- 2. sit in与sit on的意思不同。试比较下面两句：
- sit in the grass
- sit on the grass
- 3.作“作委员”“作陪审员”“搁置”解时用sit on; 作“静坐示威”解时用sit in; 作“列席”解时则用sit in on。
- sit up for, sit up with
- sit up for表示“不睡等(人)”时,含有“期待”的意味; sit up with表示“不睡陪伴(人)”时,含有“照顾”的意味。例如:
- I shall be late getting back tonight, so please don't sit up for me.今晚我回来得迟,请不要等我了。
- The nurse sat up with her patient all night.护士整晚不睡,照顾病人。
- sit, seat
- 这两个词都有“坐”的意思。它们的区别是：seat作“使就座”解,是及物动词,一般和反身代词连用,或用于被动结构,强调坐在座位上, be seated是正式用语; sit 作“坐”解,与stand(站)相对,一般作不及物动词。例如:
- Sit down, please.(请坐)。
- 此外, seat还有“可容纳若干人”的意思,而sit无此义。例如:
- Don't just sit there watching—come and help me!别坐在那儿观看,过来帮帮我的忙吧!
- The hall will seat 200.这大厅将能容纳二百人。
- sit up, stay up, stop up
- 这三个短语均可表示“熬夜”。其用法区别在于：sit up和stay up常跟现在分词短语,表示伴随动作; 而stop up常跟动词不定式表示目的。例如:
- They sat up all night discussing these questions.他们整宿没睡,讨论这些问题。
- We stayed up until midnight talking about our work.我们谈论工作一直到深夜还没睡。
- I stopped up to watch the match.我熬夜观看比赛。
- They sat talking all through the night.
- He sat in the armchair reading the news- paper.
- 第一句sat和talking结合紧密,直接连用,有些语法学家认为sat在这时是系动词, talking是主语补足语,也有些语法学家认为sat是不及物动词, talking是伴随状语,修饰前面的sat。而第二句中He sat in the armchair句意完全, reading the newspaper起状语作用,不可误认为主语补足语。
- sit at one's feet
- sit at the feet of
- Shall we sit here for a moment?
- Shall we sit down here for a moment?
误 The child is not old enough to sit on the table yet.
正 The child is not old enough to sit at the table yet.
析 sit at the table表示“坐在桌子旁边”,而sit on the table则表示“坐在桌子上”。他正在参加一场重要的考试。
误 He is sitting an important examination.
正 He is sitting for an important examination.
析 be sit for sth 表示“参加某事”时, for不可省。经理走进他的办公室,看到一个老人坐在椅子里等他。
误 When the manager entered his office, he saw an old man sitting in a chair waiting for him.
正 When the manager entered his office, he saw an old man waiting for him in a chair.
析 可删去分词sitting。因为in a chair已足以表示老人“坐”在椅子里了。昨天夜里你到几点才睡?
误 How late did you sit last night?
正 How late did you sit up last night?
析 sit up 表示“熬夜”,为固定短语, up不能省。她默默地坐着,等待他们的决定。
误 She sat silently, waiting for their decision.
正 She sat silent, waiting for their decision.
误 Sit, please.
正 Sit down, please.
析 sit表示“坐”这一动作的状态,表示持续的动作。而sit down则表示“坐下”,表示瞬间的动作。我没有椅子坐。
误 I have not got a chair to sit.
误 I have not got a chair to sit down.
正 I have not got a chair to sit on.
析 动词不定式修饰名词作后置定语时,该动词不定式与所修饰的名词是动宾关系。sit是不及物动词,接a chair时必须借助介词on。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的sittan，意为坐下。