refuse to talk or stop talking; fall silent;
"The children shut up when their father approached"
place in a place where something cannot be removed or someone cannot escape;
"The parents locked her daughter up for the weekend"
"She locked her jewels in the safe"
cause to be quiet or not talk;
"Please silence the children in the church!"
- The jaws snap shut to take a sample.
- Some coal-mines had to shut down.
- Food has been closed up in tins.
- The life raft was buoyed up by two airtight oil drums.
- She gave me a gentle nudge in the ribs to tell me to shut up.