be accepted as something or somebody in a false character or identity;
"She passed off as a Russian agent"
"She passed off the insult"
cause to be circulated and accepted in a false character or identity;
"She passed the glass off as diamonds"
"He passed himself off as a secret agent"
"The pain eventually passed off"
come to pass;
"What is happening?"
"The meeting took place off without an incidence"
"Nothing occurred that seemed important"
expel (gases or odors)
- They did this in order to head off the crisis.
- What happened after three months pass?
- My father has cut off the supplies.
- I think you'd better lay off alcohol for a while.
- Those two countries have broken off diplomatic relations again.
- The scandal shut off his high-powered election campaign.