- [C]严峻的考验；苦难的经历 a difficult or painful experience
a severe or trying experience
a primitive method of determining a person's guilt or innocence by subjecting the accused person to dangerous or painful tests believed to be under divine control; escape was usually taken as a sign of innocence
- Through this ordeal Heng lay stiff and silent.
- Once there we saw that the ordeal must have been great.
- I'd hate to go through such a terrible ordeal again.
- Excessive choices quickly stop being a benefit and become an ordeal.
- Being lost in the wilderness for a week was an ordeal for me.
I kept dreading the ordeal of standing on the stage of Festival Hall.出自： N. Sedaka
The freezing journey home at night..had been one of his worst ordeals.出自： M. Moorcock