- v. 委托；离开；留给；遗留；遗赠；听任
- n. 许可；准假；告别
- vi. 生出叶子
- 使保留，让…处于，使发生 ，造成
- vi. & vt. 离开,舍弃 go away from
- vt. 把…留下;遗忘 remain;go without taking
- vt. 听任,让 cause to be or remain in a particular state or position
- vt. 交托,委托 allow sth to be the responsibility of sb or to be decided by (sth)
- [U]准假,假期 holiday from work
- [U]许可,准许 allowing sb to do sth
- [U]辞别 saying good-bye
the period of time during which you are absent from work or duty;
"a ten day's leave to visit his mother"
permission to do something;
"she was granted leave to speak"
the act of departing politely;
"he disliked long farewells"
"he took his leave"
"parting is such sweet sorrow"
go away from a place;
"At what time does your train leave?"
"She didn't leave until midnight"
"The ship leaves at midnight"
go and leave behind, either intentionally or by neglect or forgetfulness;
"She left a mess when she moved out"
"His good luck finally left him"
"her husband left her after 20 years of marriage"
"she wept thinking she had been left behind"
act or be so as to become in a specified state;
"The inflation left them penniless"
"The president's remarks left us speechless"
leave unchanged or undisturbed or refrain from taking;
"leave it as is"
"leave the young fawn alone"
"leave the flowers that you see in the park behind"
move out of or depart from;
"leave the room"
"the fugitive has left the country"
make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain;
"This leaves no room for improvement"
"The evidence allows only one conclusion"
"allow for mistakes"
"leave lots of time for the trip"
"This procedure provides for lots of leeway"
have as a result or residue;
"The water left a mark on the silk dress"
"Her blood left a stain on the napkin"
remove oneself from an association with or participation in;
"She wants to leave"
"The teenager left home"
"She left her position with the Red Cross"
"He left the Senate after two terms"
"after 20 years with the same company, she pulled up stakes"
put into the care or protection of someone;
"He left the decision to his deputy"
"leave your child the nurse's care"
leave or give by will after one's death;
"My aunt bequeathed me all her jewelry"
"My grandfather left me his entire estate"
have left or have as a remainder;
"That left the four of us"
"19 minus 8 leaves 11"
be survived by after one's death;
"He left six children"
"At her death, she left behind her husband and 11 cats"
transmit (knowledge or skills);
"give a secret to the Russians"
"leave your name and address here"
"impart a new skill to the students"
leave behind unintentionally;
"I forgot my umbrella in the restaurant"
"I left my keys inside the car and locked the doors"
- I will leave you to attend to the matter .
- You can leave it with us for safe keeping for no more than a month, or abandon it.
- I leave the gay saloon of New York for the green glade of the country.
- Please, don't forget to hand back your room key before you leave the hotel.
- The measure of our success will be the condition in which we leave the world for the next generation.
- Be sure not to leave anything behind, please.
- Seek not proud riches, but such as thou mayest get justly, use soberly, distribute cheerfully, and leave contentedly.
- The treasure I bequeath and leave entirely to my sole heir.
- We mustn't leave him to his own devices.
- It is necessary to seek the Court's leave to file a document out of time.
- She has my leave to see him.
- She was allowed compassionate leave from work to attend her father's funeral.
- The company has docked us of three days of our annual leave.
- She took leave of her mother, and caught the train to Beijing.
- An unbelieving smile flits on your eyes when I come to you to take my leave.
- leave about (v.+adv.)
乱丢,乱放 fail to put away carefully and tidily
leave sth ⇔ about
He is apt to leave things about.
She told her child not to leave his toys about .
- leave about
- leave aside (v.+adv.)
搁置,不考虑 not consider
leave sth ⇔ aside
Let's leave the matter aside for a moment.
- leave behind (v.+adv.)
使落后,丢在后面 cause to lag behind
- leave for (v.+prep.)
离开(某人)以同(他人)生活在一起;离开(某职位)以寻求 abandon, in order to follow sb/sth
leave for sth
We're leaving for Rome next week.
The newly married couple are leaving for their honeymoon.
这对新婚夫妇将动身外出度蜜月。leave sth for sth
She left Beijing for New York last year.
Before leaving Guangzhou for Hong Kong, the foreign guest came with her sons and daughters to thank the hotel assistants.
在离开广州去香港之前,那个外宾带着儿子和女儿来向旅馆服务员表示感谢。leave sb/sth for sb/sth
He left his wife for a worthless actress.
The director is thinking of leaving the firm for a better position elsewhere.
He left medicine for the law.
- leave holding the bag〔sack〕
让某人背黑锅 leave sb to take all the blame for sth that others have done one should share
leave sb holding the bag〔sack〕
They all ran off and left me holding the bag.
- leave in (v.+adv.)
让…留下 permit to stay
leave sth ⇔ in
They have left those words in after all.
The editor finally agreed to leave the paragraph in.
- leave it at that
〈非正〉行了,够了,到此为止 say or do nothing further about a matter
- leave nothing(〔much〕) to be desired
(不)十分完美,(不)令人满意 (not) be very good,(not) be better than others
- leave off (v.+adv.)
停止(做)某事,戒掉 cease or stop doing sth;give up
Has the rain left off yet?
Let's leave off here for lunch.
I think we should leave off now and have some coffee.
我想现在我们该休息一下,喝点咖啡了。leave sth ⇔ off
Do not leave off your overcoat, it is cold.
We left off work earlier than usual today.
Cooling pumps were left off for more than an hour.
冷却泵关了一个多小时。leave off v-ing
Leave off doing that, will you?
Please leave off biting your nails.
Leave off teasing that boy.
Leave off interrupting me whenever I'm talking!
It is time to leave off talking and to start acting.
They leave off quarrelling to sleep.
- leave on (v.+adv.)
让(火)燃着,让…开着 allow to remain alight;be burning
- leave out (v.+adv.)
遗漏,省略,删去;未顾及,忽略 not include or mention;not consider;ignore
leave sb/sth ⇔ out
In copying this document, be careful not to leave out any word.
I notice that the advertisement leaves out the price of the product.
If you leave your bicycle out at night, it'll soon have trouble with rust.
If you aren't in when I go to bed. I'll leave some food out for you.
The headmaster won't like it if we leave his son out of the team.
You left out the possibility that the train might be late.
Don't leave me out, please!
Whenever Helen holds a party, she invites my brother, but leaves me out in the cold.
Not a comma was left out.
Nothing of value is left out.
Nobody speaks to him;he is always left out.
Please complete this cheque properly;the date has been left out.
- leave over (v.+adv.)
延后,推迟;(暂时搁置)留待以后处理 postpone;leave to be dealt with at a later date
- leave up to (v.+adv.+prep.)
由某人作决定 let some important decision be made by sb
leave sth up to sb
Leave it up to me,I'll see to it.
At some colleges, the amount of work you will do is left entirely up to you.
- leave with (v.+prep.)
将…留给…处理 give as the main story in a newspaper
- take leave (of)
告别,离开 say good-bye;go away from
- leave a address 留下地址
- leave a message 留个话
- leave a note 留个字条
- leave England 离开英国
- leave it at that 行啦,到此为止吧
- leave party 离开聚会
- leave room 留些地方
- leave school 毕业
- leave the club 退出俱乐部
- leave umbrella 忘记拿伞
- leave wife 离开妻子
- leave word 留话
- leave affectionately 亲切地离开
- leave diplomatically 圆滑地离开
- leave inadvertently 粗心大意地离开
- leave judiciously 明智地离开
- leave politely 有礼貌地离开
- leave prudently 谨慎地离开
- leave ultimately 最后离开
- leave unceremoniously 无礼地离开
- leave unwillingly 不情愿地离开
- leave voluntarily 自愿地离开
- leave about 乱丢
- leave around 乱放
- leave behind 抛弃,不再往来
- leave down (被)留在下边
- leave in these words 保留这些词句(不要删去)
- leave off 停止,中断
- leave off one's winter clothes 脱去冬衣
- leave off the bad habit 戒除这个坏习惯
- leave off work 下班
- leave out 遗漏,省去,删去,把…排除在外
- leave out a word 漏了一个单词
- leave over 延迟,推迟,剩下
- leave up 任(某物)悬挂着或摆放着
- leave by train 乘火车离开
- leave for 离开…赴…,把…留给(某人)
- leave for England 动身去英国
- leave from station 离开车站
- leave on 使…处于…境地,把…放在…上
- ask leave 请求同意
- ask for leave 请假
- beg leave 请假
- break leave 超假
- cancel sb's leave 取消假期
- desire leave 请求得到允许
- extend sb's leave 延长某人的假期
- get sb's leave 得到许可
- give leave 允许
- go on leave 休假
- grant leave 准假
- have a leave 休假
- obtain leave 获假
- overstay sb's leave 超过假期
- postpone leave 推迟假期
- take leave 告别
- take French leave 不辞而别,擅自离开(行动)
- take one's leave (向…)告别,(从…)离开
- affectionate leave 热情告别
- annual leave 年度休假
- compassionate leave (尤指给军人的奔丧等)私事假
- formal leave 正式告别
- one-year leave 一年的假期
- passionate leave 热情告别
- sick leave 病假
- sorrowful leave 依依惜别
- terminal leave 军官退休前的最后一次假期
Upon which subject I shall beg leave to dwell a little.出自： W. H. Ireland
The young girl gave him gracious leave to accompany her.出自： H. James
Free to say what they like in print without prior leave of the Government.出自： W. S. Churchill
I was left a thousand pounds by an uncle.出自： Addison
My father died a year ago and left me the business.出自： J. Buchan
He made a new will, leaving everything to me.出自： L. Whistler