come to terms with;
"We got by on just a gallon of gas"
"They made do on half a loaf of bread every day"
pass or move in front of;
"Bride's Biscuit got by the other dogs to win the race"
escape potentially unpleasant consequences; get away with a forbidden action;
"She gets away with murder!"
"I couldn't get out from under these responsibilities"
- The bill passed by a narrow squeak.
- They refreshed their winter food supply by hunting.
- This task is accomplished by great effort.
- We hurrah when we see the soldiers go by.
- It is impossible to get by a foreign language exam by cramming at the last minute.