- vt. & vi. 打听,询问 ask for information
"I asked about their special today"
"He had to ask directions several times"
conduct an inquiry or investigation of;
"The district attorney's office investigated reports of possible irregularities"
"inquire into the disappearance of the rich old lady"
have a wish or desire to know something;
"He wondered who had built this beautiful church"
- She wrote to enquire the cause of the delay.
- I called the station to enquire about train times.
- I'm writing to enquire about language courses.
- I must enquire further into this matter.
- The council set up a committee to enquire into local unemployment.
- I enquired the way to the station.
- I will enquire when to begin our lessons.
- He enquired whether the 7:00 train would leave on time.
- “How are you?”he enquired.
- enquire about (v.+prep.)
询问…的情况try to get information about (sb/sth), as by asking questions
enquire about sb/sth
She enquired about my brother.
The pilot enquired about the weather condition.
- enquire after (v.+prep.)
问候ask for (sb's health, welfare)
enquire after sth
I'm enquiring after any information the library might have on future city planning.
我正在查阅这家图书馆可能保存的关于城市远景规划的任何资料。enquire after sth
She enquired after my mother's health.
- enquire for (v.+prep.)
查询(商店的货物); 求见(某人)ask for (goods in a shop), ask to see (sb)
enquire for sb/sth
A man has been enquiring for you at the office.
He enquired for the book in a bookstore.
- enquire into (v.+prep.)
调查try to learn the facts about; investigate
enquire into sth
We must enquire into the matter.
The police are enquiring into the murder.
- enquire of (v.+prep.)
〈正〉询问(某人); 向(某人)了解情况ask a question of (sb)
enquire of sb
You can enquire of your new neighbors where the post office is.
- enquire within (v.+adv.)
请见店内海报ask inside the building where a notice is shown
For sale:small black armchair.enquire within.
- enquire的基本意思是“打听,询问”,用作不及物动词时,常与about〔after, for〕等介词搭配构成习语; 用作及物动词时,其宾语除了名词、代词之外,还可以是疑问词引导的不定式或从句。
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自中古法语的enquerre，意为在……中寻找。