- vt. 阻碍；使气馁
- vt. 使气馁; 使沮丧 lessen or take away the courage or confidence
- vt. 阻碍; 劝阻 put difficulties in one's way; make sth seem not worthwhile; try to persuade sb not to do it
try to prevent; show opposition to;
"We should discourage this practice among our youth"
deprive of courage or hope; take away hope from; cause to feel discouraged
admonish or counsel in terms of someone's behavior;
"I warned him not to go too far"
"I warn you against false assumptions"
"She warned him to be quiet"
- Inflation discourages saving.
- A new law has been brought in to discourage racial prejudice.
- Try to discourage such familiarities from your subordinates.
- I was never discouraged against learning English.
- He is easily discouraged by difficulties and obstacles.
- discourage from (v.+prep.)
阻止某人 prevent sb to do sth
discourage sb from v-ing
The rain discouraged us from going out.
Lack of recognition discouraged him from publishing more novels.
Fear of war discouraged him from going abroad .
I have tried to discourage him from biting nails.
We tried to discourage him from climbing the mountain without a guide.
He was discouraged from going there along .
People were discouraged from attending the parade by the bad weather.
He was discouraged from marrying the girl by his mother.
- discourage the use of sth 使某物的使用受到限制
- discourage deeply 深深地沮丧
- discourage distinctly 明显地阻碍
- discourage entirely 完全地阻碍
- discourage heartbreakingly 心碎地沮丧
- discourage pathetically 非常沮丧
- discourage permanently 永久地沮丧
- discourage profoundly 深刻地沮丧
- discourage unreasonably 缺乏理智地沮丧
- discourage wisely 明智地阻碍
This discouraged Schomberg, who had looked up hopefully.出自： J. Conrad
It must be dreadfully discouraging, to meet always with abuse.出自： A. J. Cronin
- prevent 预防
- hinder 阻碍
- deject <古>垂头丧气的...
- dissuade 劝阻
- dishearten 使沮丧
- depress 使沮丧
- disapprove 不赞成
- deter 阻止
- daunt 使 ... 胆怯
- oppose 反对
- inhibit 抑制
- stop 停止
- suppress 镇压
- dispirit 使沮丧
- cast down 扔掉
- dismay 沮丧
- disappoint 使失望
- demoralize 使士气低落
- dampen (使)潮湿
- darken 变暗
- deflate 放气
- oppress 使烦恼
- Keep from 阻止, 妨碍
- from 出自
- keep 保持
- monish [古]=admonish
- warn 警告
- admonish 警告
- encourage 鼓励