- n. 木板；布告板；董事会；船舷或机舱；伙食；舞台
- v. 登(飞机、车、船等)；接受乘客；有偿提供食宿；搭伙；用木板覆盖
- 膳宿，寄宿 ，付费（在某人家里）膳宿；把（某人）安排在外膳宿，供...膳宿
- [C]长形木板 a long thin flat piece of cut wood; plank
- [C]硬质板 a flat piece of hard material used for a particular purpose
- [U]膳食费; 膳食 (the cost of) meals
- [C]理事会,委员会,董事会 an official body or group that has responsibility for a particular organization or activity
- vt. 用木板覆盖或封闭 cover with boards
- vt. 上(船或火车、飞机等) go on board (a ship or public vehicle, aircraft, etc.)
- vt. & vi. 搭伙(并寄宿),收费供膳食(及住宿) get or supply with meals
a committee having supervisory powers;
"the board has seven members"
a stout length of sawn timber; made in a wide variety of sizes and used for many purposes
a flat piece of material designed for a special purpose;
"he nailed boards across the windows"
food or meals in general;
"she sets a fine table"
"room and board"
a vertical surface on which information can be displayed to public view
a table at which meals are served;
"he helped her clear the dining table"
"a feast was spread upon the board"
electrical device consisting of a flat insulated surface that contains switches and dials and meters for controlling other electrical devices;
"he checked the instrument panel"
"suddenly the board lit up like a Christmas tree"
a printed circuit that can be inserted into expansion slots in a computer to increase the computer's capabilities
a flat portable surface (usually rectangular) designed for board games;
"he got out the board and set up the pieces"
get on board of (trains, buses, ships, aircraft, etc.)
live and take one's meals at or in;
"she rooms in an old boarding house"
lodge and take meals (at)
provide food and lodging (for);
"The old lady is boarding three men"
- Will you draw the nails from this board?
- Paste down the map on the board.
- Her election to the board of directors caused great surprise.
- Please get on board at once; the plane is taking off very soon.
- She pays $100 a week plus room and board.
- For ambitious actors, playing on the boards is the greatest happiness in their life.
- Passengers must board the ship by 6 p.m.
- The passenger walk up the ramp to board the airplane.
- Flight 757 is now boarding.
- We will be very glad to board and lodge you.
- Jim prefers to board with Mrs.Smith.
- I'd board up the windows if I were you.
- Would you saw me a piece of board two inches by one?
- The carpenter was shaving a board.
- The carpenter evened a board with a plane.
- Nail the boards onto the fence posts, they will make a good fence.
- Will you nail down that loose board in the floor?
- Lean the board against the wall, it is in the way.
- How many of our girls dived off the top board.
- The competitors will dive off the highest board.
- If you can't pull the nails out by their heads, punch them out from the other side of the board.
- The boat is built by lapping the edge of one board over the board underneath.
- They knocked together a rough box with wooden boards.
- We plan to floor the house with pine boards.
- The room was floored with boards.
- Leave the dishes on the board to drain.
- He stacked the dishes on the draining board.
- The students put up a poster on the bulletin board.
- Please post this important message on your notice board so that all the students can read it.
- We'll notify the time of the meeting on the bulletin board.
- The teachers usually pin up the best work on the board.
- A boy was kept busy marking up the runs on a board.
- I pay weekly for my board and lodging.
- I owe for my board and lodging.
- Her father pays for her rent and board but Lucy keeps herself in clothes.
- Let's go and arrange with them about the board.
- The notice was put up by the editorial board of the school journal.
- The point will be laid on the board at the next meeting.
- Your suggestion will be set before the board at their next meeting.
- He is still on the board, but he resigned as chairman some months ago.
- They committed some funds to the care of the board of trustees.
- The board is determining company policy.
- He acted as secretary to the board.
- The members of board requested that the chairman of the board should reconsider his decision.
- He was later removed by the board of directors.
- His election to the board of directors paved the way to the replacement of the old president.
- The board nominated her as the new director.
- Uncle left his position on the board of directors as he felt that he should move over in favour of a younger man.
- The three-man board manages its business with care and dispatch.
- Your request will be handed up to the board of the directors.
- I shall have to gather myself together to face the whole board of directors.
- We thank the committee for bringing to light some facts which will influence the board's decision.
- Are you going to bring any of the other board members in on your plan for the election ?
- Despite his pleasant manner,I suspected he was fishing for information about the decisions made at the board meeting.
- We joined the passengers waiting to board.
- As soon as I'm on board I always feel sick.
- He has been on the boards all his life.
- The workers are boarding over the stern of the boat.
- We joined the passengers waiting to board.
- I'm boarding at a friend's house.
- He boarded the roof himself.
- Floe and I decided to board a train for Geneva.
- The customs house officers boarded our ship and made a thorough search for smuggled goods.
- My aunt boards holiday-makers during the summer.
- She arranged to board some Chinese students from the university.
- Mrs. Jones makes a living by boarding students.
- The floor was boarded.
- He showed us the boarding house.
- There is a small boarding school in the little town.
- Charlie ran away twice from his boarding school.
- above board
摆到桌面上的,光明正大 just and honorable
- across the board
全体人员都包括在内 include in all the people
- go by the board
未成功 be unsuccessful
- on board
在船〔火车、飞机、汽车〕上 on ship〔train, plane, bus〕 etc.
- board in (v.+adv.)
用木板围住或封住 close a space with boards of wood
board sth ⇔ in
There used to be a hole in the fence that we could creep through, but it's been boarded in.
- board out (v.+adv.)
不在住处吃饭; (把某人)寄在别处膳宿 (cause to) receive food and lodgings away from home
Jim boards out.
Mr. Smith has a bedroom in our house but boards out.
史密斯先生住在我们家里,但他在别的地方吃饭。board sb ⇔ out
She boarded out her children with a neighbour.
- board up (v.+adv.)
用木板封住,用板隔断 put boards over the door or windows
board sth ⇔ up
Board the door up.
He boards up his doors and windows before leaving on a holiday.
When the shop closes, the shopkeeper boards up the windows.
The windows are boarded up to prevent the thieves from breaking in.
- board with (v.+prep.)
寄膳; 搭伙 take meals with sb in sb's house
board with sb
He boarded with his aunt.
- be on board 上船后
- burnish the board 把木板抛光
- fall over board 从船上掉下去
- get board 上船
- go on board 上车
- measure the board 量木板
- nail the board 钉木板
- organize a board 组织一个委员会
- put up a board 竖起木板
- saw a board 锯木板
- advisory board 顾问委员会
- local board 地方委员会
- sounding board 共鸣板,共振板
- smooth board 光滑的木板
- spare board 备用板
- the bulletin board 布告栏
- the draining board 滴水板上
- the editorial board 编委会
- the highest board 最高的跳板
- the loose board 松动的地板
- the top board 最高的跳板
- thick board 厚木板
- thin board 薄木板
- advertisement board 广告牌
- chess board 棋盘
- cutting board 供切割〔裁剪〕用的案板
- draft board 〈美〉征兵局
- Education board 教育委员会
- message board 留言栏
- notice board 〈英〉布告牌
- pine board 松木板
- school board 校董会
- sign board 招牌,标志牌
- spring board 跳板
- above board 光明磊落
- across the board 包括一切地,一律
- a piece of board 一块长板
- the members of board 董事会的全体成员
- the edge of one board 木板的边
- the other side of the board 木板的另一面
- chairman of the board 董事长
- on board 在船或飞机上
- on one's notice board 在告示牌上
- on the board 板子上
- board a bus 上汽车
- board roof 用木板盖屋顶
- board a ship 上船
- board a train 上火车
- board an aircraft 上飞机
- board holiday-makers 收费给度假的人供膳宿
- board the floor 铺地板
They carried her upon a board In the clothes in which she died.出自： Southey
Pattering over the boards, she comes and goes at her will.出自： Tennyson
Grass grew up through the porch boards.出自： J. Steinbeck
The buildings were log or unpainted board.出自： W. van T. Clark
To decide the battle by boarding.出自： M. Arnold
- board的另一个意思是“理事会”,指企业、学校、团体等的领导机构,是集合名词, board用作主语时,其谓语动词既可用单数形式(强调理事会整体),也可用复数形式(强调成员个体)。
- on board表示“在船〔火车、飞机、汽车〕上”等,且on board后不能用of。
- board用作动词时意思是由原名词“木板”及其引申所表示的“餐桌”“甲板”三个意思转化而来的,即:①用木板覆盖或封闭; ②上(船或火车、飞机等); ③提供膳食服务及住宿(尤指收费)。
- board作“用木板覆盖或封闭”解时,是及物动词,以被封闭物作宾语,可用于被动结构; 作“上(船或火车、飞机等)”解时,可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词,以表示交通工具的名词作宾语; 作“搭伙”“膳宿”解时,可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词,以被提供服务的人作宾语。
- on board of the steamer/ship，on board the steamer/ship,on board ship这几种表达方式都常见。注意on board of ship是错误的表达；
- 在美式英语中，on board通常解释“上车”，“在车上”或“在飞机上”，而在英式英语中则解释为“上船”和“在船上”。
- board, batten, plank, plate
- 这组词都有“板”的意思。其区别在于:board是普通用词,泛指各种宽而薄的板; batten一般指“板条”“压条”“挂瓦条”“压缝条”。例如:
- batten door小板门。
- We got into the cellar through a round hole covered by a metal plate.我们从一个有金属盖板的圆洞进入地下室。
- I read her name on the polished brass plate.我在擦亮的黄铜门牌上看到了她的名字。
- In the steel plate five holes were drilled an inch apart.在这块钢板上钻了五个相距一英寸的孔。
- plank bed木板床; plank bridge木板桥。
- a black board 黑色的木板
- a blackboard 黑板
- on board 在船〔车、飞机〕上
- on the board 将在会上讨论
- board, harbour, house, lodge, room, shelter
- Many villagers volunteered to house the flood victims.许多村民自愿为水灾难民提供住处。
- 3.board主要指“提供膳宿; 包食宿”,而且通常指收费的。例如:
- My aunt boards holidaymakers during the summer.夏天我的姨母收费给度假的人提供膳宿。
- She arranged to board some Chinese students from the university.她安排了这所大学的一些中国学生在她家食宿。
- Mrs. Jones makes a living by boarding students.琼斯太太靠给学生们提供食宿为生。
- Many southerners sheltered runaway slaves during the Civil War.南北战争之时,许多南方人保护过逃跑的奴隶。
- You can't shelter your brother from blame in the accident.在这次事故中,你无法庇护你的弟弟免受责备。
- They lodged the wanderers for the night.他们为流浪汉提供住宿。
- The motel lodges thirty people a night.汽车旅馆一夜可为30个人提供住宿。
- Harbouring criminals is an offence in law.窝藏罪犯是违法的。
误 We'd better board to the train now.
正 We'd better board the train now.
析 表示“上车〔飞机、船〕”时, board是及物动词,接宾语时不需再加介词。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的bord，意为木板，平面；最初源自原始日耳曼语的burdam，意为木板。