- (表示位置)在…近旁; 在身邊 near
- (表示時間)不遲於; 在…時候 not later than
- (表示移動方向)從…中經過 passing through or along
- (表示方式)搭乘,通過; 抓住…; 靠,採取; 就…而論; 以…稱呼方式; 以…的名義; 憑著 through the use or means of
- (表示原因)隨…而來 as the result of
- (表示方位)偏於 inclined to one side
- (表示環境)借著…光亮 depend upon the light of
- (表示關涉)經過 passing through
- (表示程度)以…之差 with disparity of
- (表示關係)對待 treat
- (表示依據)根據 in accordance with
- (表示比率)以…幅度; 以…為單位; …比 …to the amount or degree of
- (表示累加)(一個)接著 one by one
- (表示動作者)被〔由〕; 由…創作〔演奏〕 show the name of the person who wrote a book, directed a film, made a work of art, etc.
- 在近旁 near
- 經過,走過 past
- 保留 in reserve
so as to pass a given point;
"every hour a train goes past"
in reserve; not for immediate use;
"started setting aside money to buy a car"
"put something by for her old age"
"has a nest egg tucked away for a rainy day"
- The house by the lake is a restaurant.
- He entered by the back door.
- The project was viewed favorably by the committee.
- He let himself down slowly by means of a rope.
- He hurried by and disappeared in the wood.
- I always keep a bottle of wine by in case friends call round.
- He lives near by.
- On a cold evening it is pleasant to sit by the fire.
- He keeps a dictionary by him when he's reading.
- Be here by four o'clock.
- She should be back by now.
- If they have a journey to make, most people prefer to go by day.
- They came in by the back door.
- Are you to go there by bike or by bus?
- You can order tickets by telephone.
- The money will be paid by cheque.
- He seized her by the arm.
- Man does not live by bread alone.
- They were making a living by selling souvenirs to the tourists.
- They decided to raise the money by subscription.
- By temperament he was an artist.
- They always addressed each other by their Christian name.
- By God he's done it!
- I did it all by myself!
- The meeting will be held in the school hall, by permission of the headmaster.
- The steamer will go west by north.
- They were playing cards by electric light.
- I go by the house every day.
- We lost the match by one goal.
- He deals ill by his wife.
- It's not fair to judge people by their appearance.
- Its grant is to be cut by more than 40 percent.
- Most workmen are paid by the week.
- The lounge is twenty feet by fourteen.
- Day by day he applied himself to the task until it was finished.
- He was brought up by an aunt.
- Above it hung an oil painting by Beryl.
- We should help our brother communities by all means in our power.
- Oh by the way, have you heard from Bill lately?
- She hurried by without speaking to her teacher.
- Come by for a drink after work.
- She stole the book when no one was by.
- by accident
偶然地 without any intention or planning
- by all means
- by analogy
用類推方法by a process of reasoning between parallel cases
- by analogy with
根據…類推deducing (sth) according to sth
- by any chance
或許; 可能 perhaps; possibly
- by chance
偶然地,意外地 by accident; accidentally; unintentionally
- by common consent
公認 generally acknowledge
- by comparison
- by contrast
- by courtesy of
蒙…的好意,蒙…提供 by the permission or generosity of sb
- by degrees
- by far
…得多,更,尤其 by a great amount
- by hand
用手;親自 using one's hand; in person
- by heart
憑記性 by memory
- by itself
獨自地; 無需外力地alone; without help
- by leaps and bounds
非常迅速,突飛猛進very quickly and successfully
- by means of
- by mistake
錯誤地 as a result of carelessness, forgetfulness, etc.; in error
- by no means
- by reason of
- by rights
要是公正的話,公正地 if justice were done; in justice
- by the book
按規則，依照慣例according to the rules
- by the by
順便提一句by the way
- by the same token
由於同樣原因，同樣地in the same way
- by the way
順便地,附帶說說 used to introduce a comment or question that is only indirectly related, if at all, to the main subject of conversation
- by trial and error
反覆試驗，不斷摸索by trying various solutions and learning from one's failure
- by turns
輪流地; 交替地 one after the other; in rotation
- by virtue of
憑藉，依靠，因為，由於by means of or because of sth
- by way of
意在,為了 with the intention of or for the purpose ofBy way of introduction to my subject,I'd like to tell you how I first came to be interested in it.為了引入我的話題,我想告訴你我起初是怎樣對這個問題感興趣的。
- by and by
不久,馬上 before long; soon
- by and large
總的來說 on the whole;in general
- abide by 遵守，履行
- adopt by acclamation 通過口頭表決方式通過
- brush by 觸到，擦及
- carry by acclamation 通過口頭表決方式通過
- catch sb by surprise 使某人吃驚，使驚異，使感到意外
- characterize by 以…為特徵
- clap sb by the heels 給某人上鐐銬；把某人逮捕入獄
- come by （尤指通過努力）得到，獲得；偶然得到
- deal by 對待
- die by one's own hand 自殺
- divide by 除
- do by 待，對待
- do by halves 做…半途而廢
- do right by sb 公平地對待某人，給某人應有的評價
- drop by the wayside 半途而廢，中途退出
- escape by the skin of one's teeth 死裡逃生
- fall by the wayside 半途而廢，中途退出
- fall together by the ears 扭打起來；爭吵起來
- get by 通過障礙
- get sb by the short hairs 控制住某人，使某人就範
- get the wrong sow by the ear 弄錯了人（或事），得出錯誤結論
- go by 從…經過
- go by default 沒有，缺乏；因疏忽（或未該做的事）而致喪失
- go by the board 從外側落出；被遺忘，被忽視；落空
- go by the book 遵照規章行事
- go by the name of 用…的名字
- go by the wayside 被撇在一邊，被擱置，被拋棄
- grab time by the forelock 抓住時機
- hang by a hair 千鈞一髮；岌岌可危；搖搖欲墜
- hang by a thread 千鈞一髮，岌岌可危
- hang by the wall 被擱置不用，被打入冷宮
- hang (on) by the eyelids 千鈞一髮
- have a bear by the tail 遇到難以應付（或控制）的事情
- have a tiger by the tail 遇到勁敵；處境比預料的困難
- have a wolf by the ears 處於危急境地
- have sb by the short hairs 控制住某人，使某人就範
- hold by 堅持；遵守；接受；贊成
- intoxicate sb by 醉；陶醉於
- judge by 按…判斷，斷定，認為
- know by sight 與…只是面熟（並不熟識）
- lead sb by the nose 牽著某人的鼻子走；完全控制某人
- lie by 躺在…旁邊
- live by one's wits 靠耍花招（或耍小聰明）騙人過日子
- lay by 放在…旁邊
- lay sb by the heels 把某人逮捕下獄；推翻某人；挫敗某人
- live by 以…為生計；遵守，遵循
- lose by 因…遭受損失，因…而吃虧
- mean well by sb 對某人懷有好意
- measure another's corn by one's own bushel 以己度人
- measure another's (man's) foot by one's own last 以己度人
- miss by a mile 遠遠沒有擊中，完全離譜；遭到慘敗，完全不成功
- oblige sb by 為某人效勞，幫忙
- pass by 經過，從…旁走過
- play it by ear 根據情形行動，即時應付
- profit by 得益
- pull up by the roots 連根拔起
- push by 趕上；超越
- repay...by 以…酬報，回報
- replace...by 以…替代〔置換〕
- seize time by the forelock 抓住時機
- set by 尊重，重視
- set by the ears 使爭吵
- set sb by the heels 給某人上鐐銬；把某人逮捕入獄
- sit by 坐在…旁邊
- sit by nelly 跟別人學著做
- sth to remember sb by 供別人記住某人的東西，別人賴以記住某人的東西；讓某人記住某人厲害的一頓揍
- speak by the card 說話精確
- stand by 支持或幫助；信守（諾言等）
- stand by one's side 站在某人的旁邊，道義上支持某人
- stick by 忠於，對…真心；堅持，維護（原則等）
- swear by 極其信賴；憑…發誓，以…名義發誓
- take an occasion by the forelock 抓住時機
- take an opportunity by the forelock 抓住時機
- take by 抓住（某物或某人的部位）
- take...by storm 攻佔，襲擊；使傾倒，使神魂顛倒
- take by surprise 使吃驚，使感到意外；奇襲，使措手不及
- take sb by the short hairs 控制住某人，使某人就範
- take the bull by the horns 大膽地對付困難（或危險）
- take time by the forelock 抓住時機
- tell by 根據…判斷〔推斷〕
- vote by acclamation 通過口頭表決方式通過
- what do you mean by...? 你說（或做…）是什麼意思？你怎麼膽敢…？你憑什麼竟敢…
- win by a short head （賽馬時）僅以一個馬頭的距離獲勝，以極小的差別獲勝，險勝
- as if by magic 立即，飛快地，快得（或好得）令人難以置信的
- by a canvas 以毫釐之差
- by a hair's breadth （以）極少的數量或極短的距離；險些，間不容髮地
- by a long way 遠遠地，大大地
- by a neck （賽馬中）以一頸之差（獲勝或失利）
- by a nose 以少許之差
- by a short head （賽馬）以不到一個馬頭的距離；以極少的量
- by a street 以懸殊（或差距），大幅度地
- by accident 偶然，意外地
- by accident of 憑機遇；靠命運
- by agency of 由於…；通過…
- by air 坐飛機
- by （all 或long）odds大大（勝過），遠遠（超過）
- by all accounts 據說；根據報道
- by all appearances 顯然；外表上
- by all manner of means 用一切手段；好的；當然
- by all means 用一切手段；好的；當然
- by an eyelash 差點兒不，幾乎不
- by analogy 用類推的方法
- by any chance 或許；可能
- by any means 用任何可能的辦法，不惜任何代價，無論如何
- by any manner of means 用任何可能的辦法，不惜任何代價，無論如何
- by any possibility 以任何可能的方法
- by any stretch of the imagination 儘管怎樣想象，任憑如何異想天開
- by avocation 副業是
- by auction 拍賣
- by appointment 約定
- by birth 出身
- by blood 按血統
- by chance 偶然
- by choice 如果必須選擇的話；憑愛好
- by coincidence 巧合
- by common consent 經一致同意
- by comparison (with) 與…比較起來；通過比較
- by contract 承包
- by contraries 與預期的相反；與邏輯相違背；相反地
- by contrast 相比之下
- by course of 按…的慣例
- by courtesy of 承蒙許可；承蒙好意
- by crack 哎呀，我的天哪
- by day 白天
- by default 因對方、他隊等未出場
- by definition 根據定義；實質上
- by degrees 逐漸地
- by dint of 借…的力量，憑藉；由於
- by ear 憑聽覺
- by easy stages 途中有停歇地，行行歇歇地，從容不迫地
- by fair means or foul 用正當或不正當的手段，不擇手段地
- by fits (and starts) 一陣一陣地；間歇地
- by force 用武力
- by force of 憑藉，由於；以…手段
- by good luck 僥倖
- by goods 用貨車裝運
- by guess 憑猜測
- by guess and by God 憑猜測；憑直覺和約略估計
- by guess and by Godfrey 憑猜測；憑直覺和約略估計
- by guess and by gosh 憑猜測；憑直覺和約略估計
- by guess and by golly 憑猜測；憑直覺和約略估計
- by half 到極大程度，大大地
- by halves 部分地，不完善地；半心半意地，不太熱心地
- by hand 人工的；捎來的
- by heart 熟記
- by heaven 哎呀，天哪
- by hook or by crook 用種種方法；不擇手段地
- by ill luck 不巧
- by implication 含蓄地；暗示地
- by inches 差一點兒
- by instinct 憑本能
- by leaps and bounds 極其迅速地
- by lease 以租借方式
- by long chalk(s) 遠遠地，大大地，在很大程度上
- by main strength 以全力，靠全身力氣
- by marriage 通過姻親關係
- by means of 用…
- by mistake 弄錯
- by my faith 我擔保，千真萬確
- by my troth 我保證
- by name 名為；名叫
- by nature 天生
- by necessity of circumstances 由於客觀情況需要，為情勢所迫
- by night 在夜裡，趁黑夜
- by no manner of means 一點也不；決不
- by no means 一點也不；決不
- not by a long chalk 完全沒有，一點也不
- not by a long shot 遠不，根本不
- not by a long sight 遠非；一點也不
- by number 按數字，根據號碼
- by numbers 按數量上的優勢
- by occasion of 因為，由於
- by one's own admission 自己所承認
- by one's own fair hand 親手，親自
- by one's (own) bootstrap 依靠自己的力量，自力更生地
- by one's (own) lights 按照自己的能力
- by order of 奉某人之命；按某人的命令
- by origin 按出身
- by post 郵寄
- by profession 職業是
- by rail 由鐵路，用火車
- by reason of 由於，因為
- by reason that 因為，由於
- by reputation 由名聲
- by repute 由名聲
- by request (of) 就（…的）要求（或請求）
- by retail 零售
- by return 由最近一班回程郵遞
- by return of post 由最近一班回程郵遞
- by return of mail 由最近一班回程郵遞
- by right of 因為，由於
- by rights 按理說；基於正當或合法的權利
- by road 由公路
- by rote 憑記憶
- by rule 按規則
- by rule and line 精確地，精密地
- by sea 由海路
- by sight 僅識其面
- by some means or other 用某種方法
- by the book 嚴格按規則
- by the by 順便提一句
- by the bye 順便提一句
- by the day 按日
- by the dozen 按打；成打的（地）
- by the ears 不和，在爭吵中
- by (the) favour of 煩請…面交
- by the grace of 承蒙天恩
- by the gross 大宗地，大量地；以批發方式
- by the hands of 經由的…的手
- by the head 船頭吃水比船尾深的；微醉
- by the holy poke 一定
- by the light of nature 天生的；自然而然地
- by the job 按每件工作
- by the look(s) of 照…看來
- by the name of 稱作；叫做
- by the numbers 按口令
- by the piece 按件（或個等）計算
- by the same token 同樣地；同理
- by the sea 在海邊，在海濱
- by the seat of one's pants 憑感覺，憑本能，憑經驗
- by the side of 在…旁邊，在…附近
- by the skin of one's teeth 僅；剛剛
- by the square 精確地，確切地
- by the stern 艉部吃水較深地，后傾地
- by the sweat of one's brow 靠自己辛勤勞動
- by the sweat of one's face 靠自己辛勤勞動
- by the way 在路上,順便問一下
- by the yard 冗長地，沒完沒了地
- by thumb 以免費搭車方式
- by trade 職業是
- by trial and error 反覆試驗，不斷摸索
- by turns 輪流
- by virtue of 憑藉
- by vocation 職業是
- by water 乘船，由水路
- by way of 經由
- by weight 按重量，根據重量
- by wholesale 批發
- by wire 用電報
- by word of mouth 口頭上
- by your leave 請允許我；對不起
- not by any means 決不
- not by any manner of means 決不
- too...by half 太…，過於…
- bit by bit 一點一點地
- day by day 一天一天地；逐日
- drop by drop 點點滴滴地，一點一滴地
- inch by inch 慢慢的；逐步地；一點一點地
- side by side 肩並肩地，一起；等同於
- stage by stage 逐步地，循序漸進地
- step by step 逐步
- stone by stone 一點一滴地
- year by year 年復一年
- hard by 在…近旁
- little by little 一點一滴地
- by itself 自動地；孤單地
- by myself 我獨自地；我獨立地
- by oneself 單獨；獨自
- by ourselves 我們獨自地；我們獨立地
- by yourself 你單獨地，獨自地；你獨立地，全靠你自己
- by ones and twos 一次一兩個，三三兩兩地
- by the hundred 成百地，數以百計地，大批大批地
- by (the) hundreds 成百地，數以百計地，大批大批地
- by the thousand 成千地，數以千計地，大批大批地
- by (the) thousands 成千地，數以千計地，大批大批地
- by twos and threes 三三兩兩地
He taried..at Joppa by one Simon.出自：Bible (Coverdale): Acts
Down by the Docks they 'board seamen' at the eating houses.出自： Dickens
A cat sits on the pavement by the house.出自： R. Jarrell
- by在表示時間時,常與動詞的一般時、將來時、完成時或將來完成時連用。作「在…時候」解時,常用於by day〔night〕短語中。
- by表示方式作「憑著」解時,其後常接反身代詞; 作「乘」解時,後接交通工具,其前不加冠詞。
- by表示比率作「以…為單位」解時,常與表示單位的名詞或數詞連用,名詞前常用定冠詞; 作「…比…」解時,用於兩個數字之間表示面積。
- by, according to, from, in, on, under
- according to是這組詞中最常用的一個,可指依據某人的話語、說法、指示,也可指按照某計劃、法規等,可以是正式的,也可以是非正式的; by的本意是「憑藉某種手段、方式」,由此引申出「依據,按照」,其賓語常為某種規則、法規、標準、習俗等; from的本意是「來源」,由此引申出「根據事物的來源判斷」; in指「依據」時,僅見於與eye, opinion, view等表示觀點的名詞或order, sequence等表示順序的名詞連用,還見於in law, in practice, in theory等短語中; on是根據事物發生和存在所依靠的基礎這一用法,由此引申為「根據,按照」,與之連用的詞一般是表示忠告、規則、命令、指示、協議、建議、原理的名詞; under通常指根據正式的協議、法令、條款、合同等,含有在其控制或約束之下的意味。
- by, after, at, for,from, over, through, with
- 1.at多接抽象名詞; 而by多接具體名詞。
- 2.這兩個詞都有「按…計算」的意思,不過by用於英式英語; at用於美式英語。
- by, at
- 1.at多接抽象名詞; 而by多接具體名詞。
- 2.這兩個詞都有「按…計算」的意思,不過by用於英式英語; at用於美式英語。
- by, before
- 這兩個詞都可表示「在…之前」。before所表示的時間不包括其賓語所指時間在內,與之連用的動詞可以是延續性動詞,也可以是瞬間動詞; by所表示的時間包括賓語所指的時間在內,因而常譯成「不遲於…」。
- by, beside, near, on
- 這組詞的共同意思是「靠近,在…旁邊」。beside是一般用語,其賓語可以是表示任何人或事物的名詞; by強調「緊貼」,其賓語可以是一般的人或事物,但更常見的是side或含有side的名詞; near所指的距離要比by遠得多,其賓語可是任何錶示人或事物的名詞; on一般表示與江〔河,湖,海〕岸或鐵路線呈線狀的地點相接觸,含有「鄰接,瀕臨」的意思。
- by, about, on,with
- by, in
- 這兩個詞都有「不遲於」的意思,但in表明的是一段時間; 而by只是用在日曆上確定的時間,或者日曆上的一點。
- by oneself, alone
- 1.從造成「獨自地」原因上說, alone可以是主動的,也可以是被動的; 而by oneself則是主動的,是主觀上願意把自己與他人隔絕開來而造成的。例如：
- He always has his lunch alone.
- He always has his lunch by himself.
- 2.從「獨自地」性質上說, alone可以是正常的,也可以是不正常的; 而by oneself則多是反常的,或者是出乎意料的。例如：
- He lives alone.
- He lives by himself.
- by, till
- 這兩者均可與表示時間的詞連用。by指動作在賓語所指的時間前發生,與非持續性動詞連用; 而till則指動作或狀態持續到賓語所指的時間為止,常與非持續性動詞的否定形式或持續性動詞連用。
誤 I came to America by a ship.
正 I came to America by ship.
誤 He is leaving by 6:30 train.
正 He is leaving by the 6:30 train.
- ☆ 直接源自古英語的be or bi，意為靠近，在，經由，大約。