- [C]大使,使节 diplomat sent from one country to another either as a permanent representative or on a special mission
a diplomat of the highest rank; accredited as representative from one country to another
an informal representative;
"an ambassador of good will"
- He was appointed ambassador to the United States.
- He never failed to send the ambassador a report each week.
- The ambassador expects that his next posting will be (to) Paris.
- He is seen by the black nation at the U.N. as an ambassador for blackness.
用作名词 (n.)～+ prep. -phrase
- He has been appointed as ambassador to the United Nations.
- He was the France ambassador in〔at〕 Tokyo.
- Sportsmen who play abroad should remember that they are ambassadors of their country.
- ambassador的意思是“大使,使节”,指一国派驻另一国或国际组织的代表,与其相对应的阴性名词是ambassadress; 用于比喻可作“代表”解。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自葡萄牙语的ambaissador，意为大使。