- [U] 昨天 the day before today
- 在昨天,在昨日 on the day just past; on the day before today
the day immediately before today;
"it was in yesterday's newspapers"
the recent past;
"yesterday's solutions are not good enough"
"we shared many yesterdays"
on the day preceding today;
"yesterday the weather was beautiful"
in the recent past; only a short time ago;
"I was not born yesterday!"
- Yesterday was Friday.
- I saw him only yesterday.
- She had an attack of indigestion yesterday.
- Yesterday was Sunday.
- Yesterday was a beautiful day.
- Where's yesterday's paper?
- Is that yesterday's newspaper?
- I saw him at yesterday's meeting.
- I can remember it as if it were yesterday.
- Where were you yesterday morning?
- He left yesterday afternoon.
- They arrived yesterday morning.
- She came to tea the day before yesterday.
- He arrived only yesterday.
- I wasn't born yesterday.
- I thought yesterday that he would be here in no time.
- She was very busy yesterday.
- We had no school yesterday.
- It was only yesterday that I saw him.
I flew in yesterday from Brazil.出自： M. Keane
Everybody wants something, and they want it yesterday.出自：Independent
- the day before yesterday是“前天”的意思,其中的定冠词the不可以省略。
- yesterday's morning
- yesterday morning
误 I stayed at home all yesterday.
正 I stayed at home all day yesterday.
正 I stayed at home for the whole of yesterday.
析 作“昨天一天”解时,不能说all yesterday,这不合乎英语的习惯表达法,应该说all day yesterday或for the whole of yesterday。昨天晚上我们去看电影了。
误 We went to the cinema yesterday night.
正 We went to the cinema last night.
正 We went to the cinema yesterday evening.
析 习惯上可以说last night或yesterday evening,但不能说yesterday night。但是,我们可以说yesterday morning〔afternoon〕(昨天早晨〔下午〕),而不说last morning〔afternoon〕。
误 I met him on yesterday.
正 I met him yesterday.昨天祖父从楼梯上跌下来了。
误 On yesterday grandfather fell downstairs.
正 Yesterday grandfather fell downstairs.
析 一般在yesterday, tomorrow, last night等词前不加介词。他写信告诉我说他日前去看望过她。
误 He wrote to tell me that he had visited her yesterday.
正 He wrote to tell me that he had visited her the day before.
析 在间接引语中一般用the day before替代yesterday。我昨天看了这出戏。
误 I have seen the play yesterday.
正 I saw the play yesterday.